5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

#5405-06 currently nb at jarvis head car. Looks like it's leader which has #5147-48 in the consists has the new led interior lights. That train should be at howard.

I saw 147-8 at Jackson SB yesterday but I didn't see the front two cars. I probably missed the new ones!

Just spotted a six car #5000 series train on the purple line with not in service signs on it. I wonder if they are training crews for #5000's on the Purple line for maybe the spring pick?

I asked one of my rail contacts about this mystery and they said they have been taking 5000 cars up to linden to wash them. I then asked why not do that at howard? They said both places do it but usually the work is done overnight by the servicers at linden. They say linden shops is available so that's what they do. They also said up to 3 trains are going up there a night. The only thing that still confuses me was I saw this at 6pm. they said that didn't matter.

Something new was hooked up to #5405-06 yesterday. I could have swore I saw the numbers #5407 but I couldn't be sure. It was probably the same consist garmon saw earlier so maybe he knows.

Sorry mate, I didn't see anything new despite taking the Red Line after work. I only saw #5401-02 pairing with #5301-02. I got a feeling something is going to be different with the second option 5000s begins service starting at #5407-08. I consider #5707-08 thru #5713-14 the third option because of the seating arrangements (That's going to be very interesting to keep an eye on next year).

Well BusHunter, the retrofitting of the lighting has now infiltrated the Red Line 5000s. #5245-45 and #5337-38 are on the list. However, they're not the only ones that are retrofitted.

Yeah I know, #5147-48 was the first one that I know of from the pre #5369-70 cars to be retrofitted last weekend. I guess it's time to start another list. :D

• Upvote 2

Reports are that #5419-22 showed up at Skokie Shops either on Friday or over the weekend. One or two cars (#5421 or 22) may still be on the trailer, they were yesterday. The other two were on rails but unmarried. I'm assuming then that #5415-18 is inside Skokie Shops testing for an end of the week/early next week release if not sooner.

Sun-Times skin videos has one on Bombardier, but the permanent link is Bloomberg TV. CTA cars are mentioned later on, and several are tested.

A good find Busjack....the Bloomberg video.

I especially like how they had a third rail on their test track and how they managed to get CTA cars to operate with our gravity trolley shoes. Their third rail had protection covers. But, looking closely, and I think see paddle pickups. For testing purposes, it seems they have a test setup.

I guess some people remember when the CTA 2400 series were tested, they had a pantograph fixed on the roof.

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/cta/htm/cta0505.htm

Sun-Times skin videos has one on Bombardier, but the permanent link is Bloomberg TV. CTA cars are mentioned later on, and several are tested.

Cool video! Sure covered a lot of L cars and all the signs were ones we haven't really seen much of yet since the colored signs came in (blue, orange). I'd love to have that job of testing them.

• Upvote 2