5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

According to an instructor some #5000's are going to be permanately assigned to the purple line now. Don't see nothing today yet. #5419-20 are on there way to howard from skokie shops so you can start looking for it now.

I'm looking forward too it, BusHunter!!! If I ride it, I'll make a video of it!!! :)

They ran with 5411-5416 again.

Possibly, but I still maintain that Howard based cars are interchangeable between the Red, Yellow, and Purple Lines. Yes there will have to be some cars based at Linden if the Purple Line is to be "assigned" 5000 series cars. As I noted before, I rode six car trains originating from Howard Yard, pulling into Howard station, and going NB as a Shuttle to Linden and then returning SB as an Express.

Possibly, but I still maintain that Howard based cars are interchangeable between the Red, Yellow, and Purple Lines. Yes there will have to be some cars based at Linden if the Purple Line is to be "assigned" 5000 series cars. As I noted before, I rode six car trains originating from Howard Yard, pulling into Howard station, and going NB as a Shuttle to Linden and then returning SB as an Express.

I'd tend to agree with artthouwill. The Howard yard serves all three lines. Keeping the cars interchangeable would also maintain a balance regarding usage and mileage for the overall fleet.

Side question: On lines with more than one terminal, (like the Red and the Blue), cars get randomly shunted back and forth, don't they? Or are they permanently assigned to one terminal or the other? Judging by the rosters, I'm guessing that "back and forth" is the answer.

But who knows for sure?

Possibly, but I still maintain that Howard based cars are interchangeable between the Red, Yellow, and Purple Lines. ....

The one constraint, which may be only a minor one, is what line's mylar maps are in the car.

The new maps show all 3 lines (Red, Purple, Yellow) if I remember correctly

They all should be in the process of being replaced with those combined maps (red, purple, yellow) as well as commuter transfer information (all lines). I think they have done that since the Red Line Rehab.

They all should be in the process of being replaced with those combined maps (red, purple, yellow) as well as commuter transfer information (all lines). I think they have done that since the Red Line Rehab.

it was done when they put in the maps showing the route to Ashland/63rd
  • Upvote 2

They may be putting those in long-term storage like they did 247-50 (according to chicago-l.org, at least). I wonder if they're alternating every 4 shipments between purple/red line now, or just leaving the purple line with those four until the red line's done.

It may have ended up on the Purple line, a pretty strong source told me they would be transfering. Maybe I'll see it later. The olny time you can really get a good look at the yard is when it's empty, but they could've always been in Howard Shops.

Well I didn't see any 5000s on the Purple Line this morning despite me riding up to Linden. No 5000s at Linden Yard. #5413-18 has to be temporary because there isn't an official statement indicating that it's permanent even though all 5000s at Howard are shareable :D .