5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

There should be more #5000's now running on the Green line. This week they started transferring #2500's to the Red line. #2513-14 has been running on the Red line and #2511-12 has been running on the Purple line. So far this week I haven't seen cars higher than #2502 on the Green line. Also #3027-28, #3125-26 and #3063-64 have shown up on the Purple from the Blue line. As far as the white Cottage Grove signs, you can see the black in between the dots of LED light and it makes the sign darker. The sign is readable, but disappears at 20 feet away. The Pink line signs seemed more visible to me. I wonder how dark colors are going to fare with this setup, the Brown line may look like the black line. The purple could have issues too, unless they switch to a lighter purple. I wonder why transit manufacturers don't switch to an LED backlit sign similar to what PC's use for there monitors. They would have the brightness and lose the black lines between the pixels. Maybe that's the wave of the future. B)

2505/6 & 2507/8 are on the Green still. Still haven't seen more than one 5000 set on the Green save Tuesday when I saw ,Runs 002 & 004 in succession. Actually I think 004 was first.

I wonder why transit manufacturers don't switch to an LED backlit sign similar to what PC's use for there monitors. They would have the brightness and lose the black lines between the pixels. Maybe that's the wave of the future. B)

Unfortunately, the panels on PC monitors are LCDs. And LCDs do not last long in the very bright sunlight that trains are constantly exposed to. And the LCDs currently have to be replaced every few weeks - at a cost of millions and millions of dollars for the fleet. As a result, LCD panels are still unfeasible for transit use.

• Upvote 1

I just seen two six car sets of 5000s on the Green Line, today heading towards 63rd Street terminal. One of them heading to Ashland/63rd terminal and the other one heading to Cottage Grove terminal. I didn't have a chance to ride them. I also didn't see the car numbers on them, either.

I just seen two six car sets of 5000s on the Green Line, today heading towards 63rd Street terminal. One of them heading to Ashland/63rd terminal and the other one heading to Cottage Grove terminal. I didn't have a chance to ride them. I also didn't see the car numbers on them, either.

I had 5080-79,5048-47,&5016-15 today. The other set out there had 5121-22 on one end. Sorry I didn't catch the rest of it's consist.

Actually there were three sets out that day. The two you mentioned and one heading WB. They all were around Clark/Lake at 5:30-5:40 PM. Also for those keeping up with the #5000's #5083-84 went back to the Pink line this week. That was part of the 4 car experimental set they had, which I said before was running the same cars over and over. (That and #5057-58.) I noticed a week ago they stopped running the 4 car set on the Pink line. Now it's back. Obviously someone made a boo boo before and transferred half of the set on the Green line!!. :P

Actually there were three sets out that day. The two you mentioned and one heading WB. They all were around Clark/Lake at 5:30-5:40 PM. Also for those keeping up with the #5000's #5083-84 went back to the Pink line this week. That was part of the 4 car experimental set they had, which I said before was running the same cars over and over. (That and #5057-58.) I noticed a week ago they stopped running the 4 car set on the Pink line. Now it's back. Obviously someone made a boo boo before and transferred half of the set on the Green line!!. :P

Yes the 4 car sets of 5000s are back on the Pink Line. I saw 2 of them last night, though I thought it was interesting that CTA waited until Lollapolooza weekend to do that. If there was any one weekend NOT to run four car consists, this one would be it. Anyway, there were two sets of 5000s on the Green Line last night, and I saw one of them going SB from 35th, and about a minute later I boarded the NB one (barely) with 5091 as the last car. None of these 12 cars had the new LED signage.

• Upvote 1

Thanks BusHunter. Yes, I did seen #5083-84 on the Pink Line. I also ride the new LED color signs of 5000s on the Pink Line. I made some videos of car number #5118, heading to Chicago from the Cicero Avenue station. I also got off at State/Lake station and I also made videos of them departing.

Thanks BusHunter. Yes, I did seen #5083-84 on the Pink Line. I also ride the new LED color signs of 5000s on the Pink Line. I made some videos of car number #5118, heading to Chicago from the Cicero Avenue station. I also got off at State/Lake station and I also made videos of them departing.

I was on the head car #5051. I did see cars 5115-5118 with the new LED color signs being led by #5051-5052.

Yesterday, I ride the Yellow Line. As soon it pass by Skokie Shops, I've seen the 5000s sitting there. It looks like the Green Line is getting more 5000s this coming weeks ahead.

If some of those 5000s have the multicolored signs, they will likely continue to be divided between the Pink and Green Lines. The Green Line will then receive some of those 5000s that still have the amber signs (including some that are currently on the Pink Line).

Yesterday, I ride the Yellow Line. As soon it pass by Skokie Shops, I've seen the 5000s sitting there. It looks like the Green Line is getting more 5000s this coming weeks ahead.

When I was there last monday, they had only 2 cars on the storage track. Usually when you see 6 there, there getting ready to deliver. They have been sending those out six cars at a time.

Today I did see 5000s at Harlem Yard, but during midday they are laid up in the yard. It appears that they are restricting the 5000s to rush-hour-only operations on the Green Line as the Green Line management insisted on running only four-car trains during off-peak periods.

And because new deliveries of the 5000s are still running slow (or behind schedule) into the Skokie Shops, the Green Line still has a lot of 2400s on its roster.

Now im just observing but don't you guys think that the 5000-series production might be in slow production because of the upcoming Red Line South Track Renewal Project. Now the CTA is saying that the Red Line is next to get the new cars and with Holiday season rapidly coming up, this a big order to fill and you have a big project coming up, so steady, but slow pace production is understandable until fall 2013 when the Red Line us in a better condition to handle the 5000-series. Now this is just an educated guess on what i observe what is going on.

There were a few more cars at Harlem Yard yesterday that were on the pink line. (#5035-36 and #5043-44) So they should be around 30 cars.

There is a change roster for the 5000s. I visit at the Harlem Yard, I spotted #5057-58 there on the Green Line. It's one of the six-car 5000s along with #5085-86, #5121-22 and #5057-58. I also seen some more 5000s inside the garage at the yard as well.

I FINALLY got a chance to ride the 5000 series on the Green Line today. I had just missed my train on Pulaski coming from Harlem the trains I missed were 2400's heading to Ashland/63 then about 10 mins later I saw them in the distance lol. The car numbers were the following 5091-92, 5120-19, I can't remember the last 2 cars but the middle cars had the new colored LED signs I also saw the Pink Line versions as well. So I had an overall good ride home. It seems like the Operators are used to them as well cause we were flying, got home in no time lol.

There is a change roster for the 5000s. I visit at the Harlem Yard, I spotted #5057-58 there on the Green Line. It's one of the six-car 5000s along with #5085-86, #5121-22 and #5057-58. I also seen some more 5000s inside the garage at the yard as well.

#5025-26, #5045-46 and #5079-80 have all went back to the Pink line.

At this very moment I am on eastbound Green Line Run #005, which consists entirely of amber-sign 5100s (5112-5111-5105-5106-5114-5113) headed towards Cottage Grove. I am sitting inside the lead car in the consist, 5112. It appears that the new cars from the Skokie Shops are alternating between the Pink and Green Lines on a weekly basis with some of the already-in-service cars being swapped between the two lines.