Rail Service Alerts-Discussion Thread

sw4400

All future Rail Alerts will have a created CTA Map that is created using paint that mirrors the ones off of Chicago-L.org. They are 100% created by me using Paint, and have a copyright to me.... I will proudly display them right here so any concerned about copyrights* can see them....

CTA Yellow Line Map(Modern).jpg

CTA Red Line Map.jpg

CTA Purple Line Map.jpg

CTA Orange Line Map.jpg

CTA Blue Line Map.jpg

CTA Brown Line Map.jpg

CTA Green Line Map.jpg

CTA Pink Line Map.jpg

11 hours ago, sw4400 said:

@Kimball401. Thank you so much for this post!!! :) This is the reason for the Rail Alerts!!! To inform the public that visit this forum as to the happenings on the CTA Rail System. The text alert info.... the rail maps with the markers to indicate where the interruption(s) are.... this is the point of my posts.... Thank you!!! :)

There are CTA Tweets.They are exhaustive. You are not. Anyone with a web browser can access the CTA Alert page, a lot easier than here. Enough said.

27 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

It's cleared up now, but ChicagoL . org is showing links that say the Blue Line disruption was because of a suicide. Now it may be two operators who may need counseling. Very sad. :(

Maybe it won't affect the operator, maybe it will..... but if you take another life on accident, does it make you think twice about returning to the job like a Rail Operator?

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

4/8/16 11:29p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: 95th-bound trains are operating with residual delays after an earlier mechanical problem on a train at Addison.

Rail Alert Red Line April 8, 2016.jpg

52 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

4/8/16 11:54p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays w/Service Disruption

Information: 95th-bound trains are standing near Cermak-Chinatown due to a mechanical problem on a train.

Rail Alert Red Line April 8, 2016(2).jpg

Sounds like the same train that had mechanical problems at Addison broke down again at Cermak-Chinatown.... time to call in a tow train!!! :O:P

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Maybe it won't affect the operator, maybe it will..... but if you take another life on accident, does it make you think twice about returning to the job like a Rail Operator?

If I had the job, maybe not. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but there are people who would count on me to get to work, home, school, anything. Of course I feel bad for the person who took their life, but at the end of the day, what happened can't be reversed, so you would have to move on and continue to do the best you can.

I'm not sure about the operator involved though. There are some people who are affected and some who aren't. If he or she needs the counseling, it's nice to know that it's provided though.

• Upvote 2

It's a active night on the Red Line..... this was evening and early morning.... 4/8/16 and 4/9/16..... bottom two were the breaking down train at Addison and Cermak-Chinatown, the other two are switching issues at 87th and police activity at Belmont.

Rail Alert Red Line April 9, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Red Line April 9, 2016(2).jpg

Rail Alert Red Line April 8, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Red Line April 8, 2016(2).jpg

28 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

You know I wonder if I may have come across this last week. i was in the area about an hour before this was discovered. i think I remember a bunch of personnel on the tracks walking around at the south end of the sb track at jeff, like maybe they had discovered something. I was on one of the nb trains. i wonder how long the person was there? No sb train was there. I can't imagine someone getting hit and the driver speeding off. It's almost like they were clipped off the platform or fell off a train. That's probably why it was labeled as a medical emergency but there must have been some evidence the person was hit (blunt trauma) so it went to a suicide. Sort of a mystery.

CFD reported a man jumped on the tracks(this was probably from the Operator's report of what happened). Nothing else was released, but it seems like it was a apparent suicide.From NBC5

On 4/8/2016 at 9:42 AM, Busjack said:

There are CTA Tweets.They are exhaustive. You are not. Anyone with a web browser can access the CTA Alert page, a lot easier than here. Enough said.

We know you disagree with sw's alerts, but not everyone reads tweets or even use Twitter for that matter. Plus other members have overwhelming stated that his posts have been useful for them to some degree. And neither Kevin or his assistant moderators has ever said there was an issue with him posting them in all this time. So it's quite likely a losing battle and useless effort to keep taking swipes at him about making the posts by now.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

My girlfriend just informed me that the passenger was unresponsive resulting of him or her to pass away at the hospital. Keep in mind guys that this isn't very easy for anybody to handle, especially CTA personnel and families of the fallen victims. Please keep your thoughts and prayers to the family and loved ones of that person.

Which is why I have said that this whole archive of apparently useless information is also distasteful (to put it mildly). Generally, every "medical emergency" or "sick"ness is a death. If someone were really just sick, an ambulance would be called and the train would move on.

CTA may use whatever euphemisms it wants, but I'm done remaking this point for now.

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

Which is why I have said that this whole archive of apparently useless information is also distasteful (to put it mildly). Generally, every "medical emergency" or "sick"ness is a death. If someone were really just sick, an ambulance would be called and the train would move on.

CTA may use whatever euphemisms it wants, but I'm done remaking this point for now.

Relax, I understood where you were coming from. I wouldn't say that you were remaking your point.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Sorry but it can't be said every medical emergency or illness mentioned by CTA in their rail alerts is a person's death since it's quite possible there are emergency situations where we don't hear of the end result, be it the person dying or the person recovering from the illness or injury. You're also oversimplifying ambulance scenarios since there are medical illnesses and injury situations, which don't result in death that still require that person's condition be stabilized first before EMTs try to move that person, such as that person needing immediate or ongoing CPR or being stabbed or accidentally impaled in a very vital organ which may require immediate stemming of the bleeding first while still on site to stop or minimize any further significant blood loss while transported by the ambulance. And those situations, if they occur on a train or at a station can last long enough that trains are stalled long enough for the situation to count as a major delay or disruption. And quite frankly I don't see CTA going with medical emergency or sickness as being distasteful, impersonal or disrespectful since for one that may be how the situation began and two they may be erring on the side of caution as far as the person's family is concerned if in fact they did die since the family may not have been yet notified of what happened, and in the case of a suicide it's far less offputting to that person's family than "your attention passengers, we're experiencing delays due to a person deciding to splatter himself against an oncoming train."

7 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Sorry but it can't be said every medical emergency or illness mentioned by CTA in their rail alerts is a person's death since it's quite possible there are emergency situations where we don't hear of the end result, be it the person dying or the person recovering from the illness or injury.

It sure seems like each one is noted in the Tribune as a death, at least each one on which I have commented.

Again, you constantly defend sw's thread, but explain to me why someone should be archiving euphemisms for someone died on or was killed by a train. Nobody is archiving everyone who had a "medical emergency" on Metra tracks (except Phil Pagano, who apparently had a psychiatric episode outside Crystal Lake, delaying the UP-NW  McHenry branch).

7 minutes ago, Busjack said:

It sure seems like each one is noted in the Tribune as a death, at least each one on which I have commented.

Again, you constantly defend sw's thread, but explain to me why someone is archiving euphemisms for someone died on or was killed by a train. Nobody is archiving everyone who had a "medical emergency" on Metra tracks (except Phil Pagano, who apparently had a psychiatric episode outside Crystal Lake, delaying the UP-NW  McHenry branch).

Why don't you ask him since you seem to be the only person up in arms about that? And I'm not defending the thread in this case, I'm challenging your statement that every medical emergency on a CTA train is a death or resultant in one. Big difference, and if you had noted, I didn't even mention the thread or sw for that matter. I spoke directly about CTA and their own alerts. 

6 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Why don't you ask him since you seem to be the only person up in arms about that? And I'm not defending the thread in this case, I'm challenging your statement that every medical emergency on a CTA train is a death or resultant in one. Big difference, and if you had noted, I didn't even mention the thread or sw for that matter. I spoke directly about CTA and their own alerts. 

To which my response was let the CTA do what the CTA does. You still haven't explained what copying it here does, other than making light of the dead.

And you were the one questioning whether I was violating the community guidelines just by raising my objection. And if sw can provide a rationale for these posts, he can do it here.

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

To which my response was let the CTA do what the CTA does. You still haven't explained what copying it here does, other than making light of the dead.

Now you're reaching and overreacting. I'm quite sure no one on here is trying to make light of the dead, so that's a useless debate to go into with you. Anyway the response to "let the CTA do what the CTA does" was and still is if Kevin, the other moderators, and the rest of the forum have found no problem with the thread, why do you expend so much energy still knocking it after all this time? 

2 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Now you're reaching and overreacting. I'm quite sure no one on here is trying to make light of the dead, so that's a useless debate to go into with you. Anyway the response to "let the CTA do what the CTA does" was and still is if Kevin, the other moderators, and the rest of the forum have found no problem with the thread, why do you expend so much energy still knocking it after all this time? 

Because I think it has no function (and you certainly have not provided one, nor has sw) and given that it has no function, is disrespectful.

And as for moderators, at least see Garmon's post above that someone deserves thought and prayers.

37 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Because I think it has no function (and you certainly have not provided one, nor has sw) and given that it has no function, is disrespectful.

And as for moderators, at least see Garmon's post above that someone deserves thought and prayers.

The usefulness of it was given and discussed. Not everyone goes on CTA's site on a regular basis, they come here more than they do the CTA sites, not everyone has a smart phone, not everyone uses Twitter, etc. If you wish to conveniently ignore those reasons given or act like they were not given because you are in a small minority of opinion of the usefulness of the thread, then that part is on you. But let's not try to suggest that anyone implied, willingly or otherwise, that someone was not deserving of thought and prayers, especially at the time of their deaths, simply because they have a difference of opinion with you. As matter of fact, let's stop grasping at straws and suggesting that anyone is going out their way to disrespect the dead or their families simply because you alone decided the thread in question has no use to anyone in communicating a rail delay.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Not everyone goes on CTA's site on a regular basis, they come here more than they do the CTA sites, not everyone has a smart phone, not everyone uses Twitter, etc

Since you are an engineer, why not determine the real numbers? I bet less than 1% go here compared to an official source, especially since the protagonist is not exhaustive nor always on time.

And I bet that then all the bus alerts should go here too? How many people are being misled by it not being indicated here that the bus stop at Morgan and Harrison has been eliminated?

31 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Since you are an engineer, why not determine the real numbers? I bet less than 1% go here compared to an official source, especially since the protagonist is not exhaustive nor always on time.

And I bet that then all the bus alerts should go here too? How many people are being misled by it not being indicated here that the bus stop at Morgan and Harrison has been eliminated?

Hmmm and since we have CTA employee forum members and other members recording delays on the thread as well as giving further insight into the nature of the delay than CTA may have at the time, as well as advising each other some optimal ways of navigating around said delays, not to mention giving each other insights and shared experiences of a delay and how they handled it, and if there are still residual after effects in place, I'd wager there's more value to the thread than you're willing to give to it simply from your making up your mind for yourself there is no usefulness to it. So again it boils down to if plenty of other folks beyond you have found some use to the thread, why after all this time are you still expending energy taking shots at it?

16 hours ago, jajuan said:

not everyone has a smart phone, not everyone uses Twitter, etc.

You tell me who can get on this site who does not have a web enabled device and a browser.

15 hours ago, jajuan said:

... why after all this time are you still expending energy taking shots at it?

I said I was not going to remake the post, and since  you don't seem to understand my point, and despite your relying on crowd approval, nobody else but you is defending logging these two threads, that's it, my sir or madame.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

You tell me who can get on this site who does not have a web enabled device and a browser.

I said I was not going to remake the post, and since  you don't seem to understand my point, and despite your relying on crowd approval, nobody else but you is defending logging these two threads, that's it, my sir or madame.

Hmmm understood it and disagreed with it/ However I was already done with going through this with you yesterday evening...............