Rail Service Alerts-Discussion Thread

sw4400

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Pace831 said:

It is because the weekend construction project had to be extended. This would have left Brown line cars trapped at Kimball, so Orange line cars are being used to maintain service.

I have taken a picture of 3200’s on Orange line it was nice seeing them on orange for a whole day and also caught on video the operator of my run 708 turning south from east as soon the as the track switched if you look closely it was positioned to the turn north but as soon as we came to the signal track switched signal was still red over red and the operator kept going 

(move to different topic if not in right one I didn’t know where to put it)

0D3E7D4F-09F5-48FB-9A6F-C2011B25702E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, mt1000 said:

Random Question: When do trains run "EXPRESS?" (I have only seen this on occasions where some CTA trains skip stations but then resume normal service). Does this happen to clear backed-up trains?

I'm happy to be wrong, but yes, they run express in order to fill a service gap and even out the trains. The longer the length of the express run is usually and indicator of how backed up/bunched up the trains were. I don't think it's too common (I've lived there for 9 years and visit 1-3 times a year, and I've been on an express train maybe ~10 times and seen one pass me by maybe ~5). Trains usually only run express for a couple of stops (worth mentioning I've only seen trains run express on the Red Blue & Green lines. The absolute longest express stretch I've seen is a toss-up btwn Cermak to 69th and Belmont to Clark/Lake

19 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm happy to be wrong, but yes, they run express in order to fill a service gap and even out the trains. The longer the length of the express run is usually and indicator of how backed up/bunched up the trains were. I don't think it's too common (I've lived there for 9 years and visit 1-3 times a year, and I've been on an express train maybe ~10 times and seen one pass me by maybe ~5). Trains usually only run express for a couple of stops (worth mentioning I've only seen trains run express on the Red Blue & Green lines. The absolute longest express stretch I've seen is a toss-up btwn Cermak to 69th and Belmont to Clark/Lake

I once had a Loyola to Jackson express after some real mess. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, strictures said:

I once had a Loyola to Jackson express after some real mess. 

Wow, that beats mine by a long shot. I was on a Green Line train that got tripped as it was crossing Tower 18 out towards Harlem. Later at Cicero it went express to Oak Park. Not sure if any other lines went express because of the trip, since we blocked Tower 18 for a good amount of time.

58 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Wow, that beats mine by a long shot. I was on a Green Line train that got tripped as it was crossing Tower 18 out towards Harlem. Later at Cicero it went express to Oak Park. Not sure if any other lines went express because of the trip, since we blocked Tower 18 for a good amount of time.

After an unauthorized person on the tracks, I remember being on a Red Line train that ran express from Wilson to Morse.  

Either that's my longest express run or that one time on the Pink Line from Polk to Central Park

I remember a Englewood bound train I was on.  We left the Roosevelt subway station after a delay, but the train was full.  Everyone was shocked when we blew past Tech 35th.  Then we passed Indiana and 43rd.  People were grumbling by then.  Next we passed 47th and 51st.  People are now starting to panic.  I said we have to step at Garfield because that's the last transfer point between Englewood and Jackson Park trains.  We blew past Garfield.

Finally we stopped at 58th.  Passengers were furious.  The conductor claimed he made an announcement at Roosevelt.   Nobody, and I Mean NOBODY heard it.  If it was audible,  there wouldn't be a packed platform at 58th.  Making matters worse  was the fact that  58th was an A station,  and the next inbound train was a  Howard B train.

I was on an inbound Dan Ryan train that ran Express from 69th to Adams/Wabash.

I was on a Blue Line that ran Express from IMD to Harlem  on the Forest Park branch.  Though it was great not stopping. the slow zones made the trip seem like a normal trip.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I remember a Englewood bound train I was on.  We left the Roosevelt subway station after a delay, but the train was full.  Everyone was shocked when we blew past Tech 35th.  Then we passed Indiana and 43rd.  People were grumbling by then.  Next we passed 47th and 51st.  People are now starting to panic.  I said we have to step at Garfield because that's the last transfer point between Englewood and Jackson Park trains.  We blew past Garfield.

Finally we stopped at 58th.  Passengers were furious.  The conductor claimed he made an announcement at Roosevelt.   Nobody, and I Mean NOBODY heard it.  If it was audible,  there wouldn't be a packed platform at 58th.  Making matters worse  was the fact that  58th was an A station,  and the next inbound train was a  Howard B train.

I was on an inbound Dan Ryan train that ran Express from 69th to Adams/Wabash.

I was on a Blue Line that ran Express from IMD to Harlem  on the Forest Park branch.  Though it was great not stopping. the slow zones made the trip seem like a normal trip.

What in the hell happened that there was this big a gap in trains? That would show up as what, 26 mins way on the train tracker?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What in the hell happened that there was this big a gap in trains? That would show up as what, 26 mins way on the train tracker?

I don't remember  exactly  but whatever it was, it originated on the O'Hare branch.   It might have been an equipment malfunction. 

I remember on the Red Line at Roosevelt, I had to exit a train that was going to run Express from Roosevelt to 69th.  The very next train came,  but it was running Express from Roosevelt to 47th.  I caught the next train and even that train had an immediate follower.  My stop was 35th.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 6:04 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

So the green line shuttles are letting people off at 33rd St. He made the left and told everyone off the bus, and then we're all walking confused to 35th st. Not sure what was going on there

Well,  the West side now has their shuttles.  Eastbound Green and Pink Line trains are terminating at Ashland/Lake with free shuttle bus service o Clark and Lake.   Buses are operated by 77th and K artics.  Buses load NB on Ashland south of Lake.  They head north on Ashlad,west on Fulton, south on Paulina, east on Madison,  stopping Morgan.  Then it continues east on Madison,  north on Halsted, and east on Washington,  stopping at Canal (where I got off). Presumably the bus turns left on LaSalle to Lake.

Lake Street was blocked off east of Ashland by the police.

Green and Pink Line trains had Loop signs inbound.   At Ashland,  Pink line trains used the inbound track and Green Line trains used the outbound track.

On 12/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, artthouwill said:

Well,  the West side now has their shuttles.  Eastbound Green and Pink Line trains are terminating at Ashland/Lake with free shuttle bus service o Clark and Lake.   Buses are operated by 77th and K artics.  Buses load NB on Ashland south of Lake.  They head north on Ashlad,west on Fulton, south on Paulina, east on Madison,  stopping Morgan.  Then it continues east on Madison,  north on Halsted, and east on Washington,  stopping at Canal (where I got off). Presumably the bus turns left on LaSalle to Lake.

Lake Street was blocked off east of Ashland by the police.

Green and Pink Line trains had Loop signs inbound.   At Ashland,  Pink line trains used the inbound track and Green Line trains used the outbound track.

Well, at least Lake being blocked by police is a valid reason. I'm still irritated by what they did at 35th, especially since the bus pulled around in front of the station anyway and I nearly missed the train.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I notice on the blue line service alerts they say theres no service from ohare to Rosemont midnight to 4am. It lists it as a service change. That's not permanent is it? The way its worded would make one believe so.

I do think it is permanent,  but it is indefinite.  We will have to see.  I expect this to continue through the winter into spring to keep the homeless out of the airport.