Rail Service Alerts-Discussion Thread

sw4400

12 hours ago, Busjack said:

The bigger one better illustrates that forensics need to figure out how the flash traveled from the platform canopy up the canopy over the ramp, unless something else really happened.

Probably. The main thing I'm wondering about is why the possible lightning strike struck the canopy rather than the nearby Pink Line tracks or the newer metal Rush building. Also, judging by the flashes coming from inside the canopy, maybe the lighting system in the station played a role.

You know, I didn't expect the issues that occurred with yesterday's storms. We've had storms with worse winds reported, some even Tornadic with sirens going off and the Emergency Alert System activated for a Tornado Warning, and the "L" service goes through intact. I guess yesterday was the breaking point for the Red, Blue and Brown lines, as a tree fell on the North Side Main Line, blocking service on the Red and Brown Lines and a canopy knocked over by either lightning or wind(still inconclusive, media says maybe both caused the canopy falling over) on the Blue Line at the Illinois Medical District yesterday.

I actually expected flooding to interrupt service on the Brown, Purple, Pink and Yellow Lines more likely if high standing water covered the tracks at grade level. The Red and Blue I would've expected it to occur in the State St. and Dearborn St. Subways if the flooding got that intense with Flash Flood Warning issued yesterday.

On July 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM, garmon757 said:

Yeah, that's the same guy who ask for a 30-day pass. I'm sitting here like wow. He's been targeting riders on Blue, Red, Green, Brown, and Orange Lines. 

I saw this guy again on the Pink line. He was being less aggressive than last time. He said his name was John or Juan and requested business cards from companies that hire felons in addition to money for a 30-day pass. Now he wants to go to DePaul instead of Chicago State. Some fool gave him $5 and he got off.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

I saw this guy again on the Pink line. He was being less aggressive than last time. He said his name was John or Juan and requested business cards from companies that hire felons in addition to money for a 30-day pass. Now he wants to go to DePaul instead of Chicago State. Some fool gave him $5 and he got off.

Oh wow! What's the odds of an actual businessman or woman giving a felon a business card on a train?

17 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Oh wow! What's the odds of an actual businessman or woman giving a felon a business card on a train?

I sort of got the impression he only mentioned business cards to seem more approachable, since he waited until the end to ask for money. Maybe he figured out people are willing to give him more money that way. The first time I saw him on the blue line he started confronting people individually after he gave his initial speech. This time he just stood by the doors and seemed to be trying to avoid intimidating anyone. He said he had sent his resume to 45 different companies, but was looking for contact info for others that might hire him. "I want to go to DePaul University, but in the meantime, I need money for a 30-day pass".

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

I sort of got the impression he only mentioned business cards to seem more approachable, since he waited until the end to ask for money. Maybe he figured out people are willing to give him more money that way. The first time I saw him on the blue line he started confronting people individually after he gave his initial speech. This time he just stood by the doors and seemed to be trying to avoid intimidating anyone. He said he had sent his resume to 45 different companies, but was looking for contact info for others that might hire him. "I want to go to DePaul University, but in the meantime, I need money for a 30-day pass".

Yup, you're absolutely right!

You know what's the difference between panhandlers now and in the past? in the past they would just ask for spare change. Now alot of them request amounts like $5, $10 or even a 30 day pass. Cmon who in the frick rides CTA that can just hand out $100 to someone they don't know. Gotta love these panhandlers!! 9_9

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

in the past they would just ask for spare change. Now alot of them request amounts like $5, $10 or even a 30 day pass

In the old days, they would ask for bus fare, which would be 25 cents or 45 cents. Now it is $2.25, but money is worth about 1/10th it was then. A $100 pass is sure pushing it.

But isn't CTA supposed to use the 10 cameras per car to get these people off the trains? Or are people so concerned about assaults that they don't use their cellphones to call the cops on this person, who the 2 of you claim is readily recognizable?

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

8/17/16 1:01a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Orange

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Orange Line trains are operating with residual delays after earlier police activity near Pulaski.

Rail Alert Orange Line August 17, 2016.jpg

They FINALLY busted Ed Burke?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

8/18/16 12:36p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Blue

Information: Blue Line trains are operating with residual delays after earlier police activity on the platform at Pulaski.

Rail Alert Blue Line August 18, 2016.jpg

Interesting that they included "on the platform" in the description. Usually they try to be as vague as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

8/30/16 3:29p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Blue

Information: There is a listed alert on the Red Line, but no information about where or the cause.....

Unknown Rail Alert Red Line August 30, 2016.jpg

I've seen this before. Usually it means the alert has just expired. For some reason the sidebar takes a few minutes to update after the alert no longer appears on the Alerts page. I wonder if someone at the control center has to edit what appears in the sidebar separately from the actual alert.

55 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I've seen this before. Usually it means the alert has just expired. For some reason the sidebar takes a few minutes to update after the alert no longer appears on the Alerts page. I wonder if someone at the control center has to edit what appears in the sidebar separately from the actual alert.

One would think it is all database driven, especially with the aspx suffix on the alert itself.

Since it is a Microsoft protocol, our chief moderator is in that business, and may elucidate, if he desires.

19 hours ago, sw4400 said:

8/31/16 8:04p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Yellow

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays

Information: Yellow Line trains are standing at Howard due to track switching problems.

Alternate Service: Consider using the #97 Skokie bus as an alternative to Yellow Line service.

Rail Alert Yellow Line August 31, 2016.jpg

Switching problems at Howard seems to be occurring more often than I remember. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sw4400 said:

9/13/16 11:47a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown, Green, Orange, Pink

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays

Information: Loop "L" Line trains are standing near Adams/Wabash due to fire department activity.

Service Interruption Update(11:52a): Service Disrupted on Loop "L" Lines due to Fire Dept. Activity. Reroutes occurring on the Wells & Van Buren sides of the Loop "L" Line.

Orange and Brown Lines: Trains are operating as one route, between Kimball and Midway, via Wells and Van Buren

Board Orange Line trains to Midway on what is normally the Brown Line side at stations along Wells and Van Buren. Also, board Brown Line trains to Kimball on what is normally the Orange Line side at these stations.

Green Line: Trains will operate between Harlem/Lake and 63rd Street terminals via Wells and Van Buren.

Board Green Line trains to Harlem/Lake on what is normally the Orange Line side at stations along Wells and Van Buren. Board Green Line trains toward 63rd on what is normally the Brown Line side at these stations.

Pink Line service has been temporarily suspended between Polk and the Loop due fire department activity near Adams/Wabash.

As a result, trains are operating in one section:

Between 54th/Cermak and Polk, and then to Racine (Blue Line), only, for direct connections to Blue Line train service to/from Downtown.

Using connecting Blue Line service:

For service to downtown from Pink Line stations between 54th/Cermak and Polk, take a Pink Line train toward the Loop and stay on board until the train reaches Racine on the Blue Line, where you can transfer to continuing Blue Line service into Downtown on the same platform.

For service from downtown to Pink Line stations between Polk and 54th/Cermak, take a Blue Line train toward Forest Park to Racine and transfer to a Pink Line train toward 54th/Cermak from the same platform.

Alternate Service: Other possible alternatives: #9 Ashland, #21 Cermak, #49 Western, #50 Damen, #52 Kedzie/California, #53 Pulaski#54 Cicero, #60 Blue Island-26th, #82 Kimball-Homan, #94 South California and #157 Streeterville-Taylor buses, including in combination with other 'L' services, may also be good alternatives.

If you take a bus to/from the Pink Line, you may also be able to connect to the same bus from stations along the Blue Line's Forest Park branch or Green Line along Lake Street.

Service Interruption Update(12:27p): Service is resuming on normal routes of Loop "L" Lines with Major Delays occurring at this time due to earlier Fire Dept. Activity.

Media Source(s): Service was interrupted due to a gas leak in the Loop. ABC7

Rail Alert Brown Line September 15, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Green Line September 15, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Orange Line September 15, 2016.jpg

Rail Alert Pink Line September 15, 2016.jpg

The ABC7 article you quoted says that a construction crew struck a gas line on Wabash. Probably while working on the Washington/Wabash station, though they didn't explicitly say so.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I noticed this weekend that Pink Line trains were rerouted to the Racine Blue Line station.   What happened? 

Lake and Wabash sides of the Loop were closed for construction. This affected Brown, Green, Orange and Pink Line trains. Brown and Orange ran collectively as one route. I'm not sure about Green(maybe they only ran to Roosevelt and went back to 63rd and Harlem/Lake to State/Lake? I didn't look at the bulletins), but Pink probably routed to Racine via the Blue Line since that side of the Loop was closed, and connections to that side of the Loop were probably available via the Blue Line.

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Lake and Wabash sides of the Loop were closed for construction. This affected Brown, Green, Orange and Pink Line trains. Brown and Orange ran collectively as one route. I'm not sure about Green(maybe they only ran to Roosevelt and went back to 63rd and Harlem/Lake to State/Lake? I didn't look at the bulletins), but Pink probably routed to Racine via the Blue Line since that side of the Loop was closed, and connections to that side of the Loop were probably available via the Blue Line.

In the past,  Pink Line trains continued through the Loop and terminated at Roosevelt/Wabash,  using the 13th St middle track for turnbacks.

• 6 months later...

Forum members, I need your eyes to help here.....

There has been an update on the color slate for text apparently, and I have to adjust for my Rail Alerts thread to get all the colors correct. So, this is going to be the color spread for the rail lines and alerts....

Blue, Red, Green, Orange, Purple, Brown, Pink, Yellow

Minor Delays, Significant Delays, Major Delays

I'm really clutching at straws with Brown and Pink here due to my inability to discern some colors due to my colorblindness.... Brown I'm just guessing on the "More Colors" option just to the right of Black in the upper left corner. Pink I'm just guessing can be interpreted with Dark Cyan....

If I'm wrong, and you can guide me to actual Brown and Pink hues, I'd appreciate the help.....

-sw4400

31 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Forum members, I need your eyes to help here.....

There has been an update on the color slate for text apparently, and I have to adjust for my Rail Alerts thread to get all the colors correct. So, this is going to be the color spread for the rail lines and alerts....

Blue, Red, Green, Orange, Purple, Brown, Pink, Yellow

Minor Delays, Significant Delays, Major Delays

I'm really clutching at straws with Brown and Pink here due to my inability to discern some colors due to my colorblindness.... Brown I'm just guessing on the "More Colors" option just to the right of Black in the upper left corner. Pink I'm just guessing can be interpreted with Dark Cyan....

If I'm wrong, and you can guide me to actual Brown and Pink hues, I'd appreciate the help.....

-sw4400

Your Pink is turquoise. I think you confused Cyan with Magenta.

Only thing that looks like Pink to me is to pull down More Colors... and stick #ff99cc into the box.

Update: Or maybe the screen shot helps you:

pink.jpg.7f09c3df31b86e6dc9a382b698754e3e.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...