F40 repainting?

4 hours ago, richii0909 said:

Also I noticed switcher 8 has a pantograph on it.... interesting.. I don’t recall it having one

#8 definitely didn't have a pantograph before. I knew #1 and #2 had special couplers for the Highliners.

Are #1 and #2 still around? I haven't seen them in a while, and there was a solicitation for two new switch engines, presumably to replace those.

Well I heard Switcher 1 is supposedly the oldest switcher in the world according to wikipedia. I know that switcher 9 has special coupler as it is the one that would move around the old highliners. Switcher 8 def has something that resembles a pantograph on it unless its a different switcher. The reason I am assuming its Switcher 8 is because it has been in and out of the KYD yard as they are now doing tie replacement on the east tracks. The switcher was on the back side rails so I could get a good picture or look at its number. Ill try tomorrow to see what I can snap. 

7 hours ago, richii0909 said:

Well I heard Switcher 1 is supposedly the oldest switcher in the world according to wikipedia. I know that switcher 9 has special coupler as it is the one that would move around the old highliners. Switcher 8 def has something that resembles a pantograph on it unless its a different switcher. The reason I am assuming its Switcher 8 is because it has been in and out of the KYD yard as they are now doing tie replacement on the east tracks. The switcher was on the back side rails so I could get a good picture or look at its number. Ill try tomorrow to see what I can snap. 

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it (for what it's worth). #1 is definitely interesting equipment. I wonder if IRM has it on their radar.

"Number 1 has been modified with MU Car couplers and is the oldest operating loco in the U.S. that is not preserved. It is used to transfer cars from Metra Electric at Blue Island to the Blue Island wheel house to maintain proper wheel profile on Metra Electric MU cars. originally Illinois Central unit, then sold to Rock Island. Conveyed to RTA in the take over of commuter service."

20 hours ago, richii0909 said:

I know that switcher 9 has special coupler as it is the one that would move around the old highliners.

Here is a picture of #9 from 10/2/16. The yellow thing attached to the plow looks like an extra coupler. Also #2 is still around, it was at 47th today. Then #1 is probably still here as well, as I haven't heard of any replacements coming in.

DSCF1199.thumb.JPG.552572e01f85236d627140263ffcde02.JPG 

10 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Here is a picture of #9 from 10/2/16. The yellow thing attached to the plow looks like an extra coupler. Also #2 is still around, it was at 47th today. Then #1 is probably still here as well, as I haven't heard of any replacements coming in.

DSCF1199.thumb.JPG.552572e01f85236d627140263ffcde02.JPG 

Blowing it up, I don't think so, because I don't see a knuckle or a plunger, and it is on the snowplow.

People are correct about ME cars having different couplers (Tomlinson, i.e. plunger) while the other cars have knuckle couplers. This came up when the CTA 7000 spec said either could be used, but an adapter would have to be provided if Tomlinson was supplied. Maybe that's where Metra stores the adapter.

NIRC 8 and NIRC 9 have the special couplers for moving Electric Equipment. I noticed the pan on NIRC 8 yesterday, but can't tell you 

why they did that. MP36 rehabs get painted at KYD and sent back to wherever they belong. I find it ironic that 409 has the Operation

Lifesaver logo, seeing as how it was involved in the 2 worst wrecks in Metra history.

The equipment was at KYD for Metra family day on Sunday.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, trainman8119 said:

NIRC 8 and NIRC 9 have the special couplers for moving Electric Equipment. I noticed the pan on NIRC 8 yesterday, but can't tell you 

why they did that. MP36 rehabs get painted at KYD and sent back to wherever they belong. I find it ironic that 409 has the Operation

Lifesaver logo, seeing as how it was involved in the 2 worst wrecks in Metra history.

Reveal hidden contents

As indicated, though, the picture shows regular couplers and hauling freight. Must be the old switcheroo (of couplers).

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

As indicated, though, the picture shows regular couplers and hauling freight. Must be the old switcheroo (of couplers).

The yellow thing is probably the adapter. Looking closely, it doesn't look the same as the coupler (no hinged knuckle). But it is shaped so that it might attach to the coupler by sliding in from the top.

6 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ohhh makes sense as to why they put newly built platforms for the F59PH train.... Any word about Switcher number 8 and its newly installed pantograph?? If you scroll up I posted a picture of the F59PH (Metra 97) and right behind it is Switcher at towards the rear of the train.. Is Metra 409 the train that kept derailing due to the switching problem that got two Engineers fired?

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, richii0909 said:

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, richii0909 said:

Ohhh makes sense as to why they put newly built platforms for the F59PH train.... Any word about Switcher number 8 and its newly installed pantograph?? If you scroll up I posted a picture of the F59PH (Metra 97) and right behind it is Switcher at towards the rear of the train.. Is Metra 409 the train that kept derailing due to the switching problem that got two Engineers fired?

The engineers got fired for being incompetent, it had nothing to do with the engine. 409 just happened to be part of the two 47th street derailments.

Nobody knows for sure about NIRC8. It could be that they may be planning on using it as an ice breaker on the wires.

10 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

The engineers got fired for being incompetent, it had nothing to do with the engine. 409 just happened to be part of the two 47th street derailments.

Nobody knows for sure about NIRC8. It could be that they may be planning on using it as an ice breaker on the wires.

Oh ok I didn't blame the engine.. I was referencing if that was the accident. Metra sometimes makes me laugh after they take action after two times of the same issue. This reminded me of the 47th street issue twice there.. then MED 11th street derailment 1 2015 and derailment 2 2016 in same area's. Question where is switcher 8's home? Reason being as far as I can remember Ive always seen switcher 9 at KYD yard but have only seen 8 when there are large projects going on.

7 hours ago, richii0909 said:

Question where is switcher 8's home? Reason being as far as I can remember Ive always seen switcher 9 at KYD yard but have only seen 8 when there are large projects going on.

It used to be Blue Island, along with #1 and #4. But #4 and #8 would move around a lot to where they were needed. Now that it has a pantograph I would guess "home" is KYD.

11 hours ago, strictures said:

As far as I'm concerned, thankfully it's just a wrap.  It looks like it's going to pull a bunch of old IC Highliners.

That's actually RTA colors. More than likely C&NW/UP cars in the 1970s-1980 scheme (e.g. here). One is still in the first responder academy off Shermer Road in Glenview.