F40 repainting?

1 hour ago, trainman8119 said:

I suppose that's quite possible. I could have sworn it was an F40, but then again it was raining quite hard and I was already an hour and a half late for my cousins' graduation, so...

31 minutes ago, Lost on Belmont said:

I suppose that's quite possible. I could have sworn it was an F40, but then again it was raining quite hard and I was already an hour and a half late for my cousins' graduation, so...

Since it was on Milwaukee District, it was likely one of the F59's. However, Metra does plan to repaint F40's in that scheme as they are rehabbed. I don't think any have been done so far though.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/passenger_rail/article/Metra-gives-locomotives-a-new-look-completes-Lombard-Station-upgrades--46409

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Since it was on Milwaukee District, it was likely one of the F59's. However, Metra does plan to repaint F40's in that scheme as they are rehabbed. I don't think any have been done so far though.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/passenger_rail/article/Metra-gives-locomotives-a-new-look-completes-Lombard-Station-upgrades--46409

Though from what I'm reading, they may just be repainting the squished-nose -PHMs only, since those were the ones built up to 1992. They haven't said anything about the older -PHs, and a lot of those have already been rehabbed. 

8 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Though from what I'm reading, they may just be repainting the squished-nose -PHMs only, since those were the ones built up to 1992. They haven't said anything about the older -PHs, and a lot of those have already been rehabbed. 

The article says "42 F40 locomotives that were built between 1989 and 1992" There are only 30 F40PHM's, #185-214. So I think the newest F40PH-2's, #173-184 built in 1989, will be rehabbed as well. I don't think all the F40PH-2 have been rehabbed yet.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Press release that the first locomotive of the latest rehab program is complete. Look for #175 with the new paint scheme (which just doesn't look right on an F40).

Upgraded pollution control will make me very happy.

Having to breathe that garbage in a coach following one of the old engines is pretty bad, as the A/C unit sucks it inside.

6 hours ago, Pace831 said:

the new paint scheme (which just doesn't look right on an F40).

It is consistent with other Metra locomotives, but since these don't have streamlined fronts, look backwards. Maybe I'm too used to the CTA bicentennials with the upsweep on the cab end.

10 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Press release that the first locomotive of the latest rehab program is complete. Look for #175 with the new paint scheme (which just doesn't look right on an F40).

I wanted it to look good. I really did. But something about it is off to me. I'm just hoping it will grow on me or something.

Isn't 175 on the UP lines?

Just now, Busjack said:

That's what the Press Release said.

It says it will be on the lines in the future after testing.

Either way, I looked up the locomotive assignments after posting, and it was assigned to the UP lines before being rebuilt as well. I probably saw it pulling the train I pick my dad up on, but I just don't remember. :P

16 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That's what the Press Release said.

12 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

It says it will be on the lines in the future after testing.

It said "After testing, Metra plans to assign this first F40PH-3 to service on the lines operated by the Union Pacific." So, unless you have a semantic quibble, that's where it is going.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

So it's back on the UP. Interestingly, page 13 of the Metra budget has a picture of it on the RI near Tinley Park (based on the power lines and water tower in the background, and the MP36 behind it disqualifies the UP lines). Maybe it was on the RI for its "shakedown".

I'll try to catch a photo of it again sometime now that I know it on the UP lines. I will make sure to carry my DSLR from now on.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...