"Extras" and L Shuttles

jesi2282

Just out of curiosity, when CTA provides "extra service" on bus routes (for example, Cubs extras on 152 Addison), how are drivers chosen for these runs, are they part-timers? since PTBOs have the most flexibility? 

Also, when an unexpected incident happens on the rail side (for example, minor derailment on the Blue Line) how does CTA rally up buses and drivers for a bus shuttle service? Especially if the incident happens during rush hour...

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe related:

• Who paid for the wall of 1500s-1600s CTA buses on Columbus Drive to separate the Cubs parade double deckers from the crowd, and who drove them?
  • With southbound LSD blocked, and Michigan Ave. also blocked, how did NB buses get on LSD?

18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Maybe related:

• Who paid for the wall of 1500s-1600s CTA buses on Columbus Drive to separate the Cubs parade double deckers from the crowd, and who drove them?
  • With southbound LSD blocked, and Michigan Ave. also blocked, how did NB buses get on LSD?

They probably didn't get on LSD unless they did so using LaSalle Drive and the North Ave entrance. In either case, yesterday's rally presented a day where the buses were not so express. I can report there were still plenty of Cubs fans from the suburbs downtown by the time PM rush came about because there were large crowds of folks in their Cubs gear heading to Union Station. Metra was definitely putting all its locomotives and rail cars to work. From what I was able to observe, the reported use of all equipment was needed for most of the day given the number of suburbanites I saw still downtown a few hours after the rally ended. Also I can confirm the obvious that not many people went to work because even though it was the middle of PM rush, the 136 I was on was able to get on LSD with no delay (the Drive at the Grand Ave entrance was actually empty for a Friday rush hour) and do its Lake Shore Drive stint with none to little of the usual traffic slowdowns that come from a lot of folks using the exits at Fullerton, Belmont and Irving Park. So basically city fans headed home while the suburban ones stuck around. But of course that could be because many of them knew the Metra trains would be jam packed anyway and therefore decided to make a day of it downtown before heading to the Metra stations. The Trib story on it quotes Metra officials as saying that Union Station crowds waiting for trains didn't start to die down until about 5.

I was at the Field Museum today while there was a rugby game at Soldier Field. I got out just after 4 PM and someone said the game was expected to end soon. They were using several CTA artics to block the street while some 130's were staging nearby in anticipation of the crowds. I didn't see any sort of signage on the museum side saying where to board the bus. I was about to ask a CTA driver that was waiting by her bus when I saw a 146 pull up to the gate, turn around and reenter LSD. At that point I figured the buses wouldn't be getting through until the crowds started leaving Soldier Field, so I just walked to Roosevelt L station.