Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
artthouwill

ATS O'Hare

10 posts in this topic

Looking at the  ATS today,  they are making  progress with  the extension from the E Lot to the F Lot/Parking garage/ Consolidated  Rental Facility.  The structure from both the E Lot and F Lot extends to Manheim  Rd, but the structure  hasn't been built across Manheim  to connect the  two.

I suppose  when the facility  opens in  2019, we will see some  new ATS trains  as well.  The current  cars have been in service  since 1993 or 1994.

What will happen to the  current rental parking lots once the new parking garage/ rental facility opens?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It supposed to be all incorporated into the building. Don't ask me where all the space for the rental cars are? The objective is to take all the rental car buses away from the airport. I believe the garage is supposed to be multi level, so that may be where they gain the space. They will have to have more rail cars because by the time you add the rental car agency traffic they may have to increase service by 5X at least. They claim the rental car agency lots will become remote parking that was lost at the north end. I don't see how they will have all the fuel islands and maintenance facilities at the north end though. Knowing how this city operates I wouldn't doubt it will be one universal tank and they will buy the fuel from the city at the city's price. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

It supposed to be all incorporated into the building

Newsradio 780/105.9 article from 2015 on this.Among other things it said is that all rental cars will be in the building and no shuttles will be allowed, but customers will have to use the ATS.

I wondered what the bridge construction was over Mannheim Road, but the two of you explained it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see how a 3 car ats train is going to handle the crowds. It gets packed now and adding all the rental agency traffic could reasonable take you to a 5 or even 6 car train. Only other option is to decrease the headways. Thats going to prove to be the weakest link here. While they claim they can expand the parking garage to 9 floors, they don't outline how they could expand the ats.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I just don't see how a 3 car ats train is going to handle the crowds. It gets packed now and adding all the rental agency traffic could reasonable take you to a 5 or even 6 car train. Only other option is to decrease the headways. Thats going to prove to be the weakest link here.

The stations  can only  handle  3 cars .  The peak headway is 4 minutes.   I suppose  you could  get  it down to  3 minutes. 

What  I don't  see is how ALL  rental  companies  will fit in the parking  facility.   Some  companies are  on Manheim .  Will they have to move too?  Then there's  storage.   In Minneapolis  the rental companies  had off site  storage, fueling and  wash facilities with shuttle drivers  shuttling  between  the main garage and the off site facilities.   The lower level of the main garage also had wash facilities  for the rental companies  that were housed in the parking  garage.   I can't  tell but it doesn't  appear to be  the case here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Busjack said:

Newsradio 780/105.9 article from 2015 on this.Among other things it said is that all rental cars will be in the building and no shuttles will be allowed, but customers will have to use the ATS.

I wondered what the bridge construction was over Mannheim Road, but the two of you explained it.

The span is now built  over northbound  Manheim  Rd.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The stations  can only  handle  3 cars .  The peak headway is 4 minutes.   I suppose  you could  get  it down to  3 minutes. 

What  I don't  see is how ALL  rental  companies  will fit in the parking  facility.   Some  companies are  on Manheim .  Will they have to move too?  Then there's  storage.   In Minneapolis  the rental companies  had off site  storage, fueling and  wash facilities with shuttle drivers  shuttling  between  the main garage and the off site facilities.   The lower level of the main garage also had wash facilities  for the rental companies  that were housed in the parking  garage.   I can't  tell but it doesn't  appear to be  the case here.

The article claims that midway already has this, (im not familiar with midway however) so it seems to me that this project is basically a clone of that. It would appear the wash facilities will be universal also. The city has already benefitted  off this project pushing the remote parking closer and forcing those who would have parked in the cheaper lot to pay more.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

The article claims that midway already has this, (im not familiar with midway however) so it seems to me that this project is basically a clone of that. It would appear the wash facilities will be universal also. The city has already benefitted  off this project pushing the remote parking closer and forcing those who would have parked in the cheaper lot to pay more.

At ORD, they  will need  the  5 additional  floors.

The irony is  that the rental companies that were at MDW used to be  in the main garage.   Now  shuttle bus  service  is needed  between the  terminal  and the Consolidated  Rental car  facility  on 55th.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

What  I don't  see is how ALL  rental  companies  will fit in the parking  facility.   Some  companies are  on Manheim .  Will they have to move too?  

Having once been associated with the business, the answer is that only the agencies that have franchises from the city are on airport grounds and are allowed to have booths in the airport and cars parked there. Maybe the article was over inclusive, in that the ones on Bessie Coleman Drive won't be allowed to have shuttles but have to move to the garage, but I don't know what rights something like Enterprise (on Devon Ave.) has.

 

Heck, I remember when it was no big deal when the rent a cars were parked in the area that is now the hotel and CTA station.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was behind a  remote  parking lot  shuttle bus  today.  I didn't  realize that  those buses are ElDorados.   Obviously  they aren't  Axxesses and they aren't  EZ. Riders (I assume  EZ Riders  don't  come in  a 40'option).    So what are they?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0