ATS O'Hare

4 hours ago, Adam Kerman said:

I'm going to try to ride it, since I anticipate that revenue service will be mysteriously withdrawn. I assume the shuttle buses will continue to run during its limited service hours.

I agree that shuttle bus service will continue.   We can't depend on reliability yet.  Also Holiday travel season is upon us and crowds will be plentiful  .  I will also try to make a trip to the airport soon  

• 3 months later...

Took a ride on the "new" ATS train today.   The cars are more like old updated cars.  Of course they still have kinks to work our.  On the train going to the airport,  the car doors wouldn't open at Terminal 5.  On the return to the F building, the train doors wouldn't close for awhile at Terminal 5.  That train was taken out of service once we reached the Intermodal facility.

Shuttle buses are still running between the facility and the airport and there are shuttles to Lots G and H.  To my surprise,  I didn't see any Delaware Car buses ( EZ Riders).  All of the shuttles i saw were the New Flyers operated by Continental Air Transport.   I guess their existence is operating shuttles at ORD and MDW.  Their Airport Express operation ceased in 2020.  I guess Ald Ed Burke still has some influence. 

It was weird seeing Southwest plane at Terminal 5.  Alaska and Jet Blue appeared to have moved from Terminal 3 to Terminal 2.

The E Lot is closed but the station is still standing.   

I guess the new Marriott will eventually be built where the outside lot (lot D) is across from Terminal 5.  I have no idea what the city plans to do with the former site of the rental cars and E Lot.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Took a ride on the "new" ATS train today.   The cars are more like old updated cars.  Of course they still have kinks to work our.  On the train going to the airport,  the car doors wouldn't open at Terminal 5.  On the return to the F building, the train doors wouldn't close for awhile at Terminal 5.  That train was taken out of service once we reached the Intermodal facility.

Shuttle buses are still running between the facility and the airport and there are shuttles to Lots G and H.  To my surprise,  I didn't see any Delaware Car buses ( EZ Riders).  All of the shuttles i saw were the New Flyers operated by Continental Air Transport.   I guess their existence is operating shuttles at ORD and MDW.  Their Airport Express operation ceased in 2020.  I guess Ald Ed Burke still has some influence. 

It was weird seeing Southwest plane at Terminal 5.  Alaska and Jet Blue appeared to have moved from Terminal 3 to Terminal 2.

I guess the new Marriott will eventually be built where the outside lot (lot D) is across from Terminal 5.  I have no idea what the city plans to do with the former site of the rental cars and E Lot.

When did it start running, because there hasn't been any news stories on that?

On 3/2/2022 at 3:50 PM, artthouwill said:

southwest been operating to ORD for a year of two now 

9 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

southwest been operating to ORD for a year of two now 

I know there started around due to available space at O'Hare due to COVID and the amount of suspended services by other airlines.  They started in the summer of 2021.  U used to work at O'Hare for many years.   So seeing a WN plane at M1 was still different. 

23 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I know there started around due to available space at O'Hare due to COVID and the amount of suspended services by other airlines.  They started in the summer of 2021.  U used to work at O'Hare for many years.   So seeing a WN plane at M1 was still different. 

yea the T5 expansion terminal is opening up before summer i heard so delta will relocate to the domestic gates at T5 and all international airlines will use M11-M32 

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yea the T5 expansion terminal is opening up before summer i heard so delta will relocate to the domestic gates at T5 and all international airlines will use M11-M32 

Yes.  I heard Delta will get gates M1 thru M7.  I'm assuming Southwest will get M8 through M10 and the rest will be common use, even with Frontier   This puts Delta and it codes hard abd alliance partner Air France -KLM in the same terminal where connections can be facilitated even though Chicago is not a Delta hub.  That seems crazy because i think KLM flies to every Delta hub except LGA and Salt Lake City 

More importantly Delta has the first benefit of facilitated transfers between carriers at the same terminal in both directions.   American and United have to wait until 2028 to benefit,  abd even then, it won't be the same terminal,  but must closer then T5. 

I'M excited about this transformation at O'Hare  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Yes.  I heard Delta will get gates M1 thru M7.  I'm assuming Southwest will get M8 through M10 and the rest will be common use, even with Frontier   This puts Delta and it codes hard abd alliance partner Air France -KLM in the same terminal where connections can be facilitated even though Chicago is not a Delta hub.  That seems crazy because i think KLM flies to every Delta hub except LGA and Salt Lake City 

More importantly Delta has the first benefit of facilitated transfers between carriers at the same terminal in both directions.   American and United have to wait until 2028 to benefit,  abd even then, it won't be the same terminal,  but must closer then T5. 

I'M excited about this transformation at O'Hare  

I'm still amazed SW is flying out of O'Hare. Midway must be at capacity. It'll be nice to have more options to fly back home to Chicago, since I'm about to move back to DC

Also, I thought LGA was a SW airport? Delta has a hub there? Thought that would've been JFK since United has a monopoly on EWR

• 1 month later...

Press release this week that the people mover is running full time, although I saw nothing that said every shuttle bus has been withdrawn. Even though it's adjacent to the Metra station, you have to first return to grade level, then walk around part of the south side and west side of the massive parking garage, then north to the platform. There should have been a short pedestrian bridge over the long driveway on the north side and the bridge might go over Schiller Park Yard and into that small subdivision in Rosemont. I made that suggestion to the public works guy in Rosemont a few years ago.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:02 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm still amazed SW is flying out of O'Hare. Midway must be at capacity. It'll be nice to have more options to fly back home to Chicago, since I'm about to move back to DC

Also, I thought LGA was a SW airport? Delta has a hub there? Thought that would've been JFK since United has a monopoly on EWR

SW flies out of LGA and EWR.

I think SW at ORD has less to do with capacity issues at MDW and more to do with taking advantage of opportunities to expand out of ORD with the cancelation of many flights die to the pandemic.   Spirit and Frontier do well at ORD and most northern suburbanites who want to use SW either have to drive a long way to MDW or MKE.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

They said on the news that the buses will run until May 1.

So far I haven't seen any newscasts or articles.  They probably should keep the shuttles through Memorial Day weekend  if the plan is to end the terminal shuttle.   I would assume the G and H Lots will still have shuttle service to the Intermodal facility.

Ridding theIntermodal facility of the terminal shuttle service will allow them to move the Regional buses there..  I don't know if the O"Harw area hotel shuttles and the off site parking garage shuttles will stay in the Bus Shuttle Center or not.

On 4/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, artthouwill said:

I think SW at ORD has less to do with capacity issues at MDW and more to do with taking advantage of opportunities to expand out of ORD with the cancelation of many flights die to the pandemic.   Spirit and Frontier do well at ORD and most northern suburbanites who want to use SW either have to drive a long way to MDW or MKE.

LGA is a SW airport like Midway, EWR is equally as amazing to me. I agree with your reasoning though

On 4/20/2022 at 5:36 PM, artthouwill said:

24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

LGA is a SW airport like Midway, EWR is equally as amazing to me. I agree with your reasoning though

I don't think LGA is a SW hub the way Midway is. SW does have many operations there, but it serves very few destinations outside of its main hubs, and the main airlines at LGA are American and Delta. Also, I believe SW stopped flying to EWR a few years ago (2019) and consolidated all NYC operations at LGA (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_Liberty_International_Airport).

5 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

I don't think LGA is a SW hub the way Midway is. SW does have many operations there, but it serves very few destinations outside of its main hubs, and the main airlines at LGA are American and Delta. Also, I believe SW stopped flying to EWR a few years ago (2019) and consolidated all NYC operations at LGA (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_Liberty_International_Airport).

SW got into LGA as the result of the AA,/ US Airways merger.  As a condition for approval of the merger by the Federal. AA had to give up some slot pairs at LGA.  Some of these slots were given to SW to maintain some form of competition at LGA.

Sw originally entered the New York City market by flying into IMcArthur Airport in Islip,  NY, which is on Long Island.   I don't know for sure how SW would up at EWR.  One possibility is that they got slots at Newark as the result of the United'/Continental merger.  Newark was a hub for Continental Airlines and to promote competition,  they may have had to face up some slots.  Today United still dominates EWR as they carry about 70% of EWR passengers. 

23 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Maybe not the way Midway is, but compared to EWR & JFK, LGA is the SW airport, much like how MDW, Hobby & BWI are 

• 11 months later...