Brown line Flyover breaking ground

BusHunter

Was going to mention this last night but they are closing clark starting today around roscoe. 22s are detouring. They are doing alot of construction activity over here excavating clark. Looks like they are putting in a pier foundation close to the sidewalk and there are others a few buildings are being excavated on clark north of roscoe and they have posted signs on the corners of roscoe and clark snapped a pic here you go. 

20190303_171549.jpg

With baseball season coming I wonder how that's going to work with the Clark buses?

• Upvote 2

They typically close Clark after games and reroute along Belmont and Southport, so I would imagine that they will just use that reroute at all times. 

I suppose they could use Sheffield instead of Southport on non-game days. 

They could also do Halsted to Addison, but maybe that route has higher traffic. 

7 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

They typically close Clark after games and reroute along Belmont and Southport, so I would imagine that they will just use that reroute at all times. 

I suppose they could use Sheffield instead of Southport on non-game days. 

They could also do Halsted to Addison, but maybe that route has higher traffic. 

I'd say no to sheffiled to be honest but I could be wrong

Didnt know it was until 4/7. I'll bet you dollars to donuts opening day at Wrigley is on the 8th. How will they do the foundation piers and be done with that so quick. They  just must be going to have rolling closures. I would think they would do Racine as an alternate. How the heck will artics turn on Sheffield? At least at Racine and belmont its wider and you have that easy turn off clark at grace. Sheffield is a narrow street this should be a blast. They had belmont closed from Broadway to sheridan over the weekend and traffic was a zoo over there. I drive for a living so I can tell you all about traffic and road closures. 8am over there is crazy now going to be a wild month. 

Actually I'm kind of excited for this project. It's like rollercoaster tycoon meets wrigleyville!! Lol!!

• Haha 1

On the cta website they claim the project wont be completed until 2025. Construction starts fall 2019 so I dont know what's happening here. Maybe I'll take a sneak peak if I'm over there. Said that the greenlight for construction was awarded last month to the construction company. So a little contradictory info here 

Was over there tonight. They got a hole they are digging in the street. Looks like a flyover foundation pier. It's the one I was looking at before in the park lane of nb Clark right at the structure where the flyover should be. Theres going to be a complete structural renewal up to addison red so I'm assuming it takes to 2025 to do that or they could be referring to the north side main. The #22's are taking that soft right turn onto sheffield at Newport where the light is north of roscoe. I was like doh!! I forgot about that turn. The artics come way out into belmont to make that sheffield turn. With all those pedestrians there and heavy traffic and narrow road that must be hair raising in the rush. 

• 1 year later...

Since there seems to be an overall update on the brown line. I'll put this here. Since when did they install cameras on the right of way over by Chicago/brown? They also have a set outside Sedgwick. I snapped some pics. They have alot of these flashing yellow WA signs on the elevated south of clark junction. Trying to figure those out. The brown line was crawling through all this construction. Noticed south of chicago they have 25 cab signal signs and north 35. I guess the days of a fast train north of church curve is over. Btw they put out a church curve sign on the right of way was laughing. They put a few crossover signs as well. 

20201015_094515.jpg

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

https://youtu.be/ubj11wa8Ta4

Here's a link to footage of the current state of construction on the brown line flyover. Maybe some would like to see the current state of the project. I know we have retirees out of state. Heres your chance to see whats up.

So it seems the flyover starts immediately after the Belmont station.  The only thing that seems confusing is that this flyover passes to the east of Clark Tower before crossing the tracks.  How does the tower see any SB Brown and Purple conflicts?

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So it seems the flyover starts immediately after the Belmont station.  The only thing that seems confusing is that this flyover passes to the east of Clark Tower before crossing the tracks.  How does the tower see any SB Brown and Purple conflicts?

Maybe its seeing over the track. I got a question when the train leaves belmont there is one column off to the left of the structure what is that for cause it's not in line with track 4. You can see by the construction when done it will be designed just like the 18th street flyover on the green line. 

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe its seeing over the track. I got a question when the train leaves belmont there is one column off to the left of the structure what is that for cause it's not in line with track 4. You can see by the construction when done it will be designed just like the 18th street flyover on the green line. 

My thoughts were that , once the train leaves Belmont,  Brown Line trains would keep straight into the structure as track 5.  Track 4 curves after leaving Belmont. It probably would make more sense if you shoot the video from the front of the lead car on the Brown Line or from the north end of the Belmont platform

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

My thoughts were that , once the train leaves Belmont,  Brown Line trains would keep straight into the structure as track 5.  Track 4 curves after leaving Belmont. It probably would make more sense if you shoot the video from the front of the lead car on the Brown Line or from the north end of the Belmont platform

I dont know if you could see it from the platform. Probably better to take it from the street. It's the first column closest to belmont. It's not in line with the structure, unless it's for a bridge of some type. That looks like what is going over the main is a bridge cause they have 2 cylindrical columns. Probably to hold steel so they can support the structure over the crossing. 

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I went past last weekend and saw that steel up. At the time they only had laid steel on that one deck, but there's more on property waiting to be installed.

There was a picture somewhere where they showed the steel was erected to the tower from belmont. They also stated the project is supposed to be done by June 2021, so they need to get to work. 

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

There was a picture somewhere where they showed the steel was erected to the tower from belmont. They also stated the project is supposed to be done by June 2021, so they need to get to work. 

I found it it's on block club. The story was 2 days ago so it should be pretty current.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/11/19/brown-lines-flyover-at-belmont-takes-shape-as-steel-installed-to-send-trains-over-red-line/

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

I found it it's on block club. The story was 2 days ago so it should be pretty current.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/11/19/brown-lines-flyover-at-belmont-takes-shape-as-steel-installed-to-send-trains-over-red-line/

Thanks for the link. That looks like a lot of progress in the past week! Looking forward to the flyover opening.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know if this was discussed but the far western track of the brown line sb is supposed to get rebuilt with a temporary track at clark jun. News to me. They claim it's to help in the rebuilding of the junction. Was reading it on a facebook post this morning by someone with some street cred. 

823184347_Screenshot_20201213-100036_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1b18724588f4ce4052bfe13202aa9d56.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like they might be installing the steel part of the flyover over the red line row this weekend. Service is supposed to have a line cut belmont to addison this weekend. Dont know if that affects brown line. It might if theres gonna be lots of personnel and equipment on the tracks. 

Chicago-l.org had a nice link below that shows a rendering from the north side of the flyover.

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/passenger_rail/news/CTA-advances-RPM-Phase-One-construction--62411

You know technically isn't the red line there part of the flyover project? I doubt that would be done by summer, but it does look cool. That would look nice with some #7000's on it!!