Brown line Flyover breaking ground

BusHunter

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Damn Giant Drop, Batman ride or Brown line flyover? ??

I think this now becomes the 3rd highest elevated point in the CTA system. Green Line over the Dan is still the highest, being 60 ft above ground level, and then I believe its the Orange Line flyover, then the RPB at 45 ft above ground level at the highest point

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I'm not concerned.   That can be patched.  

Theoretically, but as the condo collapse north of Miami demonstrated, that much exposed rebar indicates severe structural weakness. It took the condo 40 years to get that bad; this took a couple of months.

If I were the CTA, and if the YouTuber has given them notice, I would first call a structural engineer, and then the State's Attorney. It's up to the State's Attorney to determine if there is any criminal fraud here, but if it looks like a turd....

Revision: This was a federally funded project. Call the U.S. Attorney.

18 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe thats why there is a slow zone!! I cant believe it looks like this already. Did they botch the installation or was the precast sections that screwed up?

Wow sounds like the Dan Ryan connector issue. Didnt that happen shortly after the Lake Dan Ryan opened? 

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The rebar was placed too close to the edge of the concrete.  They question is, did the structural engineer specify that & then did the CTA sign off on it or did the contractor do that all on its own?

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Wow sounds like the Dan Ryan connector issue. Didnt that happen shortly after the Lake Dan Ryan opened? 

From what I remember,  Dan Ryan service operated between 95th and 35th.  I believe people were encouraged to walk and transfer to the SSM to finish the trip into the Loop.  I think there might've been shuttle service to Cermak but not downtown.   They would rectify the problem and service eventually returned to normal.   

At least CTA kept the Clark Junction crossover in the event trains need to use it while this program gets fixed.  This won't be the crack found over the IC tracks on the Jackson Park branch which caused the bridge tand the Jackson Park station to never be used again.  Both were eventually demolished 

The next question will be how long it takes CTA to address its structural and falling concrete issues on the Purple Line?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

At least CTA engineers inspected it, so, for the moment, @artthouwill is correct.  The PVC explains the regular spacing of the defects, but I cannot conceive how the design engineers did not foresee that water in the PVC would freeze.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

At least CTA engineers inspected it, so, for the moment, @artthouwill is correct.  The PVC explains the regular spacing of the defects, but I cannot conceive how the design engineers did not foresee that water in the PVC would freeze.

Yeah a fishy answer. Sounds convenient. Has anyone been working on the structure post opening? One would think that would result in street closures. The orange line never had these issues. Hopefully this gets straigtened out because there will be two big sections of track getting a concrete deck soon and hopefully it will not spall either or cta may have to implement a post construction schedule!!