Brown line Flyover breaking ground

BusHunter

12 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

i think the 2024 they mean for the RPM lawrence to bryn mawr

Long term they want to rehab Sheridan, so I wouldnt doubt they update the elevated structure north of waveland. That's the oldest unrehabbed structure at cta dating back to 1900. They talking about straightening track. It's real curvy up that way. 

13 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Long term they want to rehab Sheridan, so I wouldnt doubt they update the elevated structure north of waveland. That's the oldest unrehabbed structure at cta dating back to 1900. They talking about straightening track. It's real curvy up that way. 

The only way to rehab Sheridan & add elevators, would be to eliminate the S turn & straighten out the tracks.   Then there would be a new station at Irving Park.

This is the note on the Red/Purple Bypass project page about the track rebuild from Belmont to Cornelia (not quite Addison as I previously stated) :

2021: Red-Purple Bypass to be completed; CTA to begin reconstruction of North Main lines (Red and Purple Line track structure reconstruction between Belmont and Cornelia/Newport)

End of 2024: North Main Line reconstruction to be completed.

https://www.transitchicago.com/rpm/rpb/

• 2 weeks later...

I went by the flyover today.  There's just one or two sections of the steel bridges remaining to be lifted & bolted into place.  These are the downhill ones to connect into outbound Track 2 of the Ravenswood Line. 

But are they then going to cast concrete around that, like they did when they rebuilt the Evanston tracks leading into Howard & over Chicago Ave. in Evanston?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Came across a cool youtube video that shows a flyover of the flyover. Looks like the tracks on the structure are done and most of the concrete is in place. They just need to work on the connections and tracks and structure around those areas, but it appears the metal structure is already up in the west end of the flyover. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kK3yzQps_X0&t=10s

28 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Came across a cool youtube video that shows a flyover of the flyover. Looks like the tracks on the structure are done and most of the concrete is in place. They just need to work on the connections and tracks and structure around those areas, but it appears the metal structure is already up in the west end of the flyover. 

Good think I checked the forum, I was about to send this. He does great videos, his overview of the MBTA GLX is great. This video is great as well, very easy to understand, especially for those who aren't fans or what not.

17 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Good think I checked the forum, I was about to send this. He does great videos, his overview of the MBTA GLX is great. This video is great as well, very easy to understand, especially for those who aren't fans or what not.

You think he used a drone. That footage is fabulous. There are alot of good views from the sky. It would be cool if he flew over the north side main of rpm. 

18 hours ago, BusHunter said:

While it was nice to see a video from the air of the flyover, it was way too long & full of unnecessary filler.  Skip to the 2:00 minute mark & ignore the beginning. 

As for completion, it's obvious the rails aren't even connected & in most places spiked down or clipped down.  I never understood why the CTA when the rebuilt the Belmont Station, didn't include a stub at the north end of track 4 for the future connection.

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Great video.   I was saddened to hear him say the 130th extension wouldn't be completed until 2029.  Praying that I'm still alive to see if. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, strictures said:

The only way to rehab Sheridan & add elevators, would be to eliminate the S turn & straighten out the tracks.   Then there would be a new station at Irving Park.

Finally, they’ve put the gun on the table to shoot the shot for Sheridan, I’ve been waiting for Sheridan to get a rehab my whole life…. That station needs some attention vs. the worn out track conditions and stations on the Congress branch on the Blue Line.

17 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

Finally, they’ve put the gun on the table to shoot the shot for Sheridan, I’ve been waiting for Sheridan to get a rehab my whole life…. That station needs some attention vs. the worn out track conditions and stations on the Congress branch on the Blue Line.

I need to take me a trip to check out the progress of the Flyover.

18 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

The beauty would be they could build the Irving Park station and a straightened structure and maintain service without disruption until the new station and structure opens.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:46 PM, artthouwill said:

I need to take me a trip to check out the progress of the Flyover.

I went to see it today. Took a few pictures. They put in precast concrete for the sidewalls of the structure. The ties have been laid by where it links at the north end. It looks nice. I think its gonna run really quiet. The track work on the structure appears to be built into the concrete like they did the Milwaukee  subway downtown. I remember saying it was supposed to be done in June. So it's a little late. The connection at the belmont end still has a long way to go but there is a peculiar structure going in east of the flyover. Do they intend on having a spur track or os that just a big substation they want to put in.

20210829_143524.jpg

20210829_143529.jpg

20210829_143502.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I went to see it today. Took a few pictures. They put in precast concrete for the sidewalls of the structure. The ties have been laid by where it links at the north end. It looks nice. I think its gonna run really quiet. The track work on the structure appears to be built into the concrete like they did the Milwaukee  subway downtown. I remember saying it was supposed to be done in June. So it's a little late. The connection at the belmont end still has a long way to go but there is a peculiar structure going in east of the flyover. Do they intend on having a spur track or os that just a big substation they want to put in.

20210829_143524.jpg

20210829_143529.jpg

20210829_143502.jpg

I also did hear that the flyover was gonna be done in June like u said and I agree we are a little late to get the flyover open in time. We are nearing September and they are nearing three months late after the timeline and they are only 78% done with the flyover. Maybe this fall they’ll be done? 

2 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

I also did hear that the flyover was gonna be done in June like u said and I agree we are a little late to get the flyover open in time. We are nearing September and they are nearing three months late after the timeline and they are only 78% done with the flyover. Maybe this fall they’ll be done? 

It’s probably a bit more complex than originally thought so they probably needed some more time before completing it,and during the weekends they shut the area down from trains for things that are necessary to complete the flyover with the rails empty from trains

Just now, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

It’s probably a bit more complex than originally thought so they probably needed some more time before completing it,and during the weekends they shut the area down from trains for things that are necessary to complete the flyover with the rails empty from trains

oh ok