7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

On 12/31/2023 at 10:21 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

According to a source of mine who knows really well, 7059-7092 are at skokie shops for delivery acceptance checks and inspection. going into the new year, they should be delivering 7093-71xx real soon

O.K. Authority. The track connection has been re-established since 5 January 2024. Have the 32 cars been redeployed to the Blue Line “L” yet?

I have not glimpsed any thing here from any of our typical respondents that this has occurred. With this bitter cold snap, this is when to learn if these cars can handle the conditions. 

18 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

O.K. Authority. The track connection has been re-established since 5 January 2024. Have the 32 cars been redeployed to the Blue Line “L” yet?

I have not glimpsed any thing here from any of our typical respondents that this has occurred. With this bitter cold snap, this is when to learn if these cars can handle the conditions. 

i’ve seen 7059-7064 so far, haven’t rode the blue line recently

What exactly is going on with the 7000s for the delivery to take so long? The blue line is still running a relatively high number of 2600s despite having most of the 3200s. If the 7000s are too problematic I could see them moving to brown and orange when the 9000s come in. I think if the forest park branch was in better shape to hold 5000s, CTA would’ve placed all of the green and pinks 5000s on the blue line along with the 3200s. 

16 hours ago, Javi75 said:

. If the 7000s are too problematic I could see them moving to brown and orange when the 9000s come in.

There you go again. No instant satisfaction, so the usual CTA will mess everything up, they must be problematic, and ship the junk to Orange and Brown (after CTA just did that). Maybe it has to do with documented CRRC production scheduling problems (worse at CRRC MA) or other priorities at Skokie Shops.

26 minutes ago, Busjack said:

There you go again. No instant satisfaction, so the usual CTA will mess everything up, they must be problematic, and ship the junk to Orange and Brown (after CTA just did that). Maybe it has to do with documented CRRC production scheduling problems (worse at CRRC MA) or other priorities at Skokie Shops.

You seem to be going out your way to defend CTA, my thoughts on CTA aren’t an attack on the agency lol. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

i’ve seen 7059-7064 so far, haven’t rode the blue line recently

It may be the times I'm riding or my transit luck, but I have noticed within the last few weeks or so that they do seem to be running significantly more 7000s in service at a given time. Obviously having cars up into the 7050s helps; haven't seen above 7052 but it smelled fresh and rubbery!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Javi75 said:

You seem to be going out your way to defend CTA, my thoughts on CTA aren’t an attack on the agency lol. 

Oh, to the contrary. Clicking @Javi75 just came up with:

I always expect something to go wrong

I personally have very low expectations for CTA as a whole transit agency. I always anticipate CTA messing something up to the extent of thousands of riders being impacted. Anytime CTA tries something new I’m always going to expect something to go wrong.

CTA should be more realistic about the quality of service and efficiency.

Your words have come back to bite you. If these expressed "thoughts on CTA aren’t an attack on the agency lol," I don't know what are.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Oh, to the contrary. Clicking @Javi75 just came up with:

Your words have come back to bite you. If these expressed "thoughts on CTA aren’t an attack on the agency lol," I don't know what are.

It’s not that deep lol, I was just asking about the 7000s because I haven’t seen a lot of them when riding the blue line. It’s good to know that more are coming in now so thank you for that information. 

1 hour ago, wayfaringrob said:

It may be the times I'm riding or my transit luck, but I have noticed within the last few weeks or so that they do seem to be running significantly more 7000s in service at a given time. Obviously having cars up into the 7050s helps; haven't seen above 7052 but it smelled fresh and rubbery!

I guess it depends on which part of the Blue Line you ride.  You are more likely to see them between O'HARE and UIC.    They do run some to Forest Park.   Today I observed one consist of 7000s on the Forest Park branch.   Apparently they're all being kept at the Rosemont Yard.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:40 PM, Javi75 said:

What exactly is going on with the 7000s for the delivery to take so long? The blue line is still running a relatively high number of 2600s despite having most of the 3200s. If the 7000s are too problematic I could see them moving to brown and orange when the 9000s come in. I think if the forest park branch was in better shape to hold 5000s, CTA would’ve placed all of the green and pinks 5000s on the blue line along with the 3200s. 

Because those cars are junk! Not surprising. Other cities that have bought CRRC equipment have had problems as well. Los Angeles is getting ready to replace their Breda Red Line cars with CRRC equipment. I’m sure we’ll be hearing horror stories from that city about the low quality. What an embarrassment.

6 hours ago, RTD8481 said:

Because those cars are junk! Not surprising. Other cities that have bought CRRC equipment have had problems as well. Los Angeles is getting ready to replace their Breda Red Line cars with CRRC equipment. I’m sure we’ll be hearing horror stories from that city about the low quality. What an embarrassment.

I really hope that the 7000s workout I love their design and blues my favorite color. They look like an upgraded 2200s and the blue gives it that futuristic look. The 5000s had their problems at the beginning and they eventually worked in the long run. I wished CTA could’ve picked up all the 7000s options. 

15 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I guess it depends on which part of the Blue Line you ride.  You are more likely to see them between O'HARE and UIC.    They do run some to Forest Park.   Today I observed one consist of 7000s on the Forest Park branch.   Apparently they're all being kept at the Rosemont Yard.

I don’t know about this, I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen a 7000 with UIC signs and I see them on FP plenty. They also have 200 run numbers, indicating FP yard, no?

2 minutes ago, wayfaringrob said:

I don’t know about this, I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen a 7000 with UIC signs and I see them on FP plenty. They also have 200 run numbers, indicating FP yard, no?

I have never seen a 7000 going to uic only to forest park.

9 minutes ago, wayfaringrob said:

No.   The run numbers indicated which end the OPERATOR of the run is from .  To be clear, I didn't say they didn't run 7000s to Forest Park.   I did say that they kept all of the 7000s at Rosemont Yard .   For the Blue Line to have at least 8 consists of 7000s and I have only observed three at Forest Park,  means they aren't really running them or they could be shorturning some.  Someone said that they have observed as many as five consists being used at once, but didn't say where they were going.  The one I observed yesterday was coming from Forest Park.   That doesn't necessarily mean that there was only one consist out, though that too us possible .  

Perhaps the slow roll out is partially due to needing to get more operators certified training or recertification.  Then Forest Park maintenance will need training as well.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Perhaps the slow roll out is partially due to needing to get more operators certified training or recertification.  Then Forest Park maintenance will need training as well.

I'm still thinking that on whatever parts of the route is run, the tea leaves in the budget  indicate 200 7000s at Rosemont Yard and 200 or so 9000s at FP, more or less, and assuming the replacement of 3200s, which might be in 2033. But I have no way of knowing,

The only trends I've noted as currently valid: (a) the desire is to put more service north of UIC, which was frustrated by construction, and (2) whatever hang-ups are involved, the difficulty of delivering them to Rosemont (essentially Yellow, Purple, around the Loop, Pink, reverse ends to go down the Paulina incline, and then to Rosemont) is going to make deliveries slow. Apparently there isn't truck access at Rosemont, but this at least supports one of Huberman's justifications for the Block 37 tunnel that it would provide another connection between the system and the Blue Line, but he let his overlord, Mayor Malaprop talk him out of it.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I'm still thinking that on whatever parts of the route is run, the tea leaves in the budget  indicate 200 7000s at Rosemont Yard and 200 or so 9000s at FP, more or less, and assuming the replacement of 3200s, which might be in 2033. But I have no way of knowing,

The only trends I've noted as currently valid: (a) the desire is to put more service north of UIC, which was frustrated by construction, and (2) whatever hang-ups are involved, the difficulty of delivering them to Rosemont (essentially Yellow, Purple, around the Loop, Pink, reverse ends to go down the Paulina incline, and then to Rosemont) is going to make deliveries slow. Apparently there isn't truck access at Rosemont, but this at least supports one of Huberman's justifications for the Block 37 tunnel that it would provide another connection between the system and the Blue Line, but he let his overlord, Mayor Malaprop talk him out of it.

You bring up a valid point concerning transfers from Skokie to Rosemont.  That seems to indicate the only time this can be executed is during overnight hours when the Purple Line Express, Brown, and Pink Line trains aren't operating .   The Blick 37 project would have been a more direct way to make the connection.

However I can't see CTA mixing 7000s and 9000s on the Blue Line.   The base order of 400 7000s should cover the Blue Line with 9000s covering Orange and Brown at minimum and maybe the Green Line which would send its 5000s to Red for the Red Line Extension.   By that time the 3200s should be retired.  But stranger things do happen  

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

That seems to indicate the only time this can be executed is during overnight hours when the Purple Line Express, Brown, and Pink Line trains aren't operating . 

I don't see those lines being so congested as that it couldn't be done during the day. Purple Line Express runs only weekday peak, Pink Line runs only every 12 minutes. Only real choke points would be in the Brown overlap and reversing at Paulina.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

However I can't see CTA mixing 7000s and 9000s on the Blue Line.   The base order of 400 7000s should cover the Blue Line with 9000s covering Orange and Brown at minimum

I'm going on them saying about 190 7000s to replace 2600s (and those clearly are going to Rosemont), 300 9000s replacing 2600s, and a potential option of 256 9000s to replace 3200s. They didn't say anything about the CRRC contract options for expansion (which I interpreted to be needed, at least in part, for RLE), nor what is supposed to be done with the remaining 210 7000s they say they still are getting. I'm assuming that the two mesh, and there's no point to undoing the swap between Blue and Brown/Orange.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 10:48 AM, Javi75 said:

Are the 7000s on track for normal delivery times now, is the delivery of X amount of cars per month going to be met?

Ordinance 023-148 gives CRRC almost an additional year and about $1.975 million for additional forces, noting such things as problems with the seat supplier. 

On 1/27/2024 at 5:00 PM, wayfaringrob said:

7070 7069 7066 7065 7062 7061 7068 7067 in service today 

12 minutes ago, wayfaringrob said:

7077 7078 7075 7076 in service on run 203 today

7071-7075 in the latter consist, something else, or you didn't see?

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

7071-7075 in the latter consist, something else, or you didn't see?

Perhaps there were older 7000s in the consist and he was only mentioning the newest cars.  After he mentioned the consist that included 7070, he said he gave the exact order of the consist.  But I rode 7070 the next day and it was the sixth car in the consist that I rode.  Clearly this indicates that they are moving the cars around and they aren't staying in one consist for any length of time. 

As for 7071, 7072,  7073, 7074, either they haven't been spotted yet, or they haven't entered service yet.  My guess is that they weren't part of the consist he observed