7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly, chicago-l.org has documentation on the 7000s page that

At the December 15, 2021 Chicago Transit Board meeting, the CTA Board approved a change order to CRRC's contract that, among other things, authorized the delivery of up to 16 "early production cars", in addition to the 10 prototype cars. This change allowed CRRC to continue delivering cars, but because they were not considered production cars they did not trigger the contractual step of CTA having approved completion of the testing phase, allowing testing and modifications resulting from testing to continue.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Well,  if there were any 7000s sitting in Skokie Shops,  they are stuck there for the foreseeable future due to the Yellow Line accident.  I suppose Skokie is the only place where new cars can be mated? 

There used to be cars entering property from 63rd which is referred as “Skokie South” it’s best to deliver 7000s there as to what they did to the 5000s when the yellow line was shut down because of the embankment that collapsed in 2015, instead of waiting for the line to reopen.

11 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

There used to be cars entering property from 63rd which is referred as “Skokie South” it’s best to deliver 7000s there as to what they did to the 5000s when the yellow line was shut down because of the embankment that collapsed in 2015, instead of waiting for the line to reopen.

That's if it gets that bad though. Supposedly they're gonna move everything out the way by Wednesday so they'll probably just wait. It'd be another thing if it was gonna be a long term thing like the embankment collapse 

16 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

I believe the 63rd Lower Yard once had a direct connection to a mainline RR, just like Skokie did when the 2400s were delivered by the C&NW.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 11:03 AM, garmon757 said:

#7049-56 are currently in service. 

In theory CTA  could run 7 consists of 7000s.   I have yet to see more than three of these consists in service at the same time.

It's a good sign that CTA can get these cars in service despite the Yellow Line shutdown.  Yet this is the slowest rollout that u can ever recall 

39 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

In theory CTA  could run 7 consists of 7000s.   I have yet to see more than three of these consists in service at the same time.

It's a good sign that CTA can get these cars in service despite the Yellow Line shutdown.  Yet this is the slowest rollout that u can ever recall 

i’ve seen 5 sets on friday morning rush 

6 hours ago, RTD8481 said:

There’s seems to be a ton of 7000s sitting at Skokie Shops 

So are they letting any trains go from Skokie Shops to Howard or is the line absolutely shut down.  This continued shutdown of the  Swift is bizarre & insane.  So is the proposed 35MPH speed limit, when the only place the speed should be reduced in the incline into the Howard Yard, along with replacing the true incompetents in the Howard Tower, who I have flat out hated for decades due to their bizarre practice of loading up both Tracks 1 & 2 with 95th bound trains, thus making it impossible for the Skokie & Evanston shuttles to enter the Howard station, drop their passengers, go to the turnback tracks so we who need to go North can actually go that way.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

That hasn't changed since June.

5 hours ago, Jstange059 said:

So they just changed the last updated date without actually updating anything? Somehow, I am not surprised

I thought it looked familiar, and, on further search, I had copied the May 2023 one here. They look the same to me.

8 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

According to a source of mine who knows really well, 7059-7092 are at skokie shops for delivery acceptance checks and inspection. going into the new year, they should be delivering 7093-71xx real soon

Man Skokie has never held so many new equipment thanks to the yellow line shutdown. A few of the 2600s probably are already being prepped for scrappings my guess