7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

On 3/24/2024 at 9:06 PM, Busjack said:

Was answered before in the same manner.

Today I boarded a 7000 series train at Forest Park.   The next train to pull into the station was also a  7000 series train.  When we pulled out of the station, the train waiting to pull in was also a 7000 series train.  A miracle three in a row.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Today I boarded a 7000 series train at Forest Park.   The next train to pull into the station was also a  7000 series train.  When we pulled out of the station, the train waiting to pull in was also a 7000 series train.  A miracle three in a row.

Were the rest of what you passed mainly 3200s?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Elkmn said:

Good stuff. The blue line seems on track to get up to 7150 at least before the year is over.

Theres a post from Facebook L group shows #7109 and its mate on the test track. I believe we have up to #7129-30 at the factory being assembled through different stages.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why, and how, do the 7000’s still have the super blurry/hazy/squiggly destination signs? Super hard to read to the point of giving a headache.

Thought this would be fixed already like how the 5000’s went from Orange LED signs to the typical colored ones.

anyone know about any plans to fix this? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2024 at 7:44 PM, wayfaringrob said:

7105 & 7106 spotted in service.

The funny thing is that while CTA now has over 100 of these cars available for use in service,  around 5 or six consists is the most i have seen operating at one time in recent weeks.  The amount of cars cars they have allow them to run a maximum of 13 consists.  Are there some mechanical issues we don't know about?  Is operator training on these cars going forward slowly or at all?    

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

The funny thing is that while CTA now has over 100 of these cars available for use in service,  around 5 or six consists is the most i have seen operating at one time in recent weeks.  The amount of cars cars they have allow them to run a maximum of 13 consists.  Are there some mechanical issues we don't know about?  Is operator training on these cars going forward slowly or at all?    

Maybe they still have some type of issue going out to forest park? I know they work better than 5000s but they're still heavier than older cars so it might be damaging the track bed more if you put them out that way 

51 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Maybe they still have some type of issue going out to forest park? I know they work better than 5000s but they're still heavier than older cars so it might be damaging the track bed more if you put them out that way 

But from what I understand weight wasn't an issue otherwise they wouldn't be on the Blue Line like the. 5000s aren't on the Blue Line.   But let's suppose that weight was somewhat of an issue.  They  could still run the 7000s on the O'Hare to UIC trips  bit I've only seen the 3600s/3200s there.  

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

But from what I understand weight wasn't an issue otherwise they wouldn't be on the Blue Line like the. 5000s aren't on the Blue Line.   But let's suppose that weight was somewhat of an issue.  They  could still run the 7000s on the O'Hare to UIC trips  bit I've only seen the 3600s/3200s there.  

They do run 7000s on UIC runs. I feel like I see 7000s (in general) more frequently during non-rush times. With the blue line being so long, I never hang out long enough to get anything other than an anecdotal perception though. I imagine there are more in service than we think.

22 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I do see a lot of issues from time to time - a couple cars in the consist I rode in the other day were completely dark from where I got on in the loop to about Chicago or Division. (I didn’t mind it; transit is too bright IMO. My eyes hurt when they turned back on.) But many  of them don’t lower to platform height, and I’ve seen issues with the headlights/taillights not working.

• 4 weeks later...