7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Perhaps there were older 7000s in the consist and he was only mentioning the newest cars.  After he mentioned the consist that included 7070, he said he gave the exact order of the consist.  But I rode 7070 the next day and it was the sixth car in the consist that I rode.  Clearly this indicates that they are moving the cars around and they aren't staying in one consist for any length of time. 

As for 7071, 7072,  7073, 7074, either they haven't been spotted yet, or they haven't entered service yet.  My guess is that they weren't part of the consist he observed  

7073 and 7074 were reported in service on Facebook 2/7 on Run #115.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

7073 and 7074 were reported in service on Facebook 2/7 on Run #115.

Ok.  Thanks.  Therefore 7071 - 7074 weren't part of the consist with 7075 - 7078.

Hopefully we will see 7150 before year's end.   I think looking for 7200 by year's end is probably unrealustic.

33 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I think looking for 7200 by year's end is probably unrealustic.

14 a month would get to approx. 7220. However, as I stated in a response to  @Javi75 that I later deleted, we don't know unless someone has access to the CRRC production control system.

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Perhaps there were older 7000s in the consist and he was only mentioning the newest cars.  After he mentioned the consist that included 7070, he said he gave the exact order of the consist.  But I rode 7070 the next day and it was the sixth car in the consist that I rode.  Clearly this indicates that they are moving the cars around and they aren't staying in one consist for any length of time. 

As for 7071, 7072,  7073, 7074, either they haven't been spotted yet, or they haven't entered service yet.  My guess is that they weren't part of the consist he observed  

correct

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So where are 7079 - 7096?  Are these cars being tested/delivered out of sequence?  Or are a bunch of them at Skokie Shops waiting to be tested and/or sent to Rosemont?

most, if not all are sitting at Skokie Shops being inspected 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

#7079-88 are currently in service.

So CTA could not 11 consists of 7000s at one time.  Whether they would actually do that might be a different story.   We are still waiting for 7089 - 7098 to hit service and we don't know if anything above that has been delivered to Skokie Shops yet.   Besides the gradual increase in 7000s we should begin to see a gradual decrease in 2600s on the Blue Line,  though that might happen at a slower pace.  I would expect CTA to continue carrying bloat in their fleet, if only to spread mileage and wear on the 2600s.

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So CTA could not 11 consists of 7000s at one time.  Whether they would actually do that might be a different story.   We are still waiting for 7089 - 7098 to hit service and we don't know if anything above that has been delivered to Skokie Shops yet.   Besides the gradual increase in 7000s we should begin to see a gradual decrease in 2600s on the Blue Line,  though that might happen at a slower pace.  I would expect CTA to continue carrying bloat in their fleet, if only to spread mileage and wear on the 2600s.

All 11 were scattered on separate consists. I do work out of Howard while spotting 7000s transfers coming from Skokie. You’re indeed correct about the decrease of 2600s as I’ve spotted #2649-50 on the Orange Line recently. Expect more to be transferred to the Orange on a steady pace with more 7000s arriving in service. 

6 hours ago, garmon757 said:

All 11 were scattered on separate consists. I do work out of Howard while spotting 7000s transfers coming from Skokie. You’re indeed correct about the decrease of 2600s as I’ve spotted #2649-50 on the Orange Line recently. Expect more to be transferred to the Orange on a steady pace with more 7000s arriving in service. 

is orange retiring those 2600’s for the blue line ones or the blue line ones going to orange in prep to be sent to skokie? one would think the blue line 2600’s would bite the dust first considering they are beat to the bone 

30 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

is orange retiring those 2600’s for the blue line ones or the blue line ones going to orange in prep to be sent to skokie? one would think the blue line 2600’s would bite the dust first considering they are beat to the bone 

There’s various blue line assigned 2600s in the midway yard rn

i have saw 2651-2652 3003-3004 3065-3066 and 3143-3144 to name a few

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Elkmn said:

Would the blue line be able to run exclusively 7ks on weekends after 100 cars are in service?

1. That would assume that Forest Park yard won't originate any trains, which I don't think will happen.
  2. Based on the timetable, it would take a minimum of 15 trains to cover the Saturday schedule, which would take at least 120 cars. Calculation is based on a 3 hour round trip and 5 trains/hour (one every 12 minutes). Sunday might be covered by 96 cars, but that assumes all are in continuous service.

1 hour ago, Elkmn said:

Why can't FP yard have 7ks? Are the shops not trained to maintain 7ks?

Eventually they will have them.  Right now there aren't enough for them to split between the two yards.  It's easier to keep the maintenance at Rosemont for now.  But it won't be long before FP gets some as the FP based operators will need training. 

9 hours ago, Elkmn said:

honestly one of my buddies was at FP just recently and there was a set of 7k’s chilling in the yard, could be a sign FP operators are starting to get trained on em or it could just be that they laid it up for a few hrs

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 8:10 PM, Elkmn said:

On 3/14/2024 at 9:38 PM, artthouwill said:

Eventually they will have them.  Right now there aren't enough for them to split between the two yards.  It's easier to keep the maintenance at Rosemont for now.  But it won't be long before FP gets some as the FP based operators will need training. 

On 3/15/2024 at 5:39 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

honestly one of my buddies was at FP just recently and there was a set of 7k’s chilling in the yard, could be a sign FP operators are starting to get trained on em or it could just be that they laid it up for a few hrs

On 3/15/2024 at 8:43 AM, Busjack said:

Could be, but as I stated, the CIP indicates, maybe not. You don't know.

All current Blue Line Operators are 7000s Qualified since the Summer Pick last year. There’s no restrictions of them being inside Forest Park Yard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

As more 7000s arrive, I've noticed that most of the other consists include at least six of the 3200 series cars with some having all eight being 3200s.  The Forest Park yard was full of 2600s.    We  will see if there's an uptick in 7000s going in service and 7000s being delivered to Skokie. 

On 3/14/2024 at 8:10 PM, Elkmn said:

There was a video of a shop inspector inside desplaines shop learning how to inspect them from April 2022. However Rosemont will get them first since they’re bringing them down by 8-10 cars at once.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:32 PM, Elkmn said:

Would the blue line be able to run exclusively 7ks on weekends after 100 cars are in service?

They’ve been running on weekends since testing ended…

1 hour ago, Elkmn said:

I meant like, exclusively 7ks, like no 32/2600s, just 7ks

Blue Line is pretty long so probably after 120 or so cars. I know Red did exclusively 5000s on weekends when they got to a certain point