7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

34 minutes ago, Jstange059 said:

Does anyone have an update on the status of the orders? Is production active or are there any further delays?

I don't know if there's a delay on CRRC's part or if CTA requested a delay based on the Blue Line service cut. Skokie Shops may only have limited space and I don't know if the Loomis incline is available for use since the Blue Line tracks between UIC and IMD are currently being replaced.  Once service is restored perhaps deliveries will continue.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know if there's a delay on CRRC's part or if CTA requested a delay based on the Blue Line service cut. Skokie Shops may only have limited space and I don't know if the Loomis incline is available for use since the Blue Line tracks between UIC and IMD are currently being replaced.  Once service is restored perhaps deliveries will continue.

7049-7050 are at skokie awaiting delivery to blue line more cars should be at skokie soon, Yes Loomis incline is out of service until the construction is done. Deliveries will resume once blue line opens up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strictures said:

Is there a new announcer, as that sounds different from Lee Crooks?

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

that’s a good question lol this sound recording i got sounds the same just a lil bit different 

IMG_5152.MOV

I think it's still him.  Someone else stated that due to the software on the 7000s he had to do a new recording for those cars.

I’ve been on the 7000s and operated them last week. It definitely sounds like they rerecorded every single announcement for the 7000s, even the “Doors closing.” one. You can tell too if you play some of @chicagocubs6323’s videos side by side. That’s where I first noticed they sounded different. At Montrose the connection to Metra Mayfair Station is also announced, and it isn’t on the older cars.

On 9/5/2023 at 12:43 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I’ve been on the 7000s and operated them last week. It definitely sounds like they rerecorded every single announcement for the 7000s, even the “Doors closing.” one. You can tell too if you play some of @chicagocubs6323’s videos side by side. That’s where I first noticed they sounded different. At Montrose the connection to Metra Mayfair Station is also announced, and it isn’t on the older cars.

Since I was summoned, here's one of my videos for reference.  Skip to 8:52

42 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I saw some 7000’s on the Orange Line yesterday at midway yard. Maybe they’re going over there next perhaps?

Maybe its temporary storage so that Skokie Shops can receive more 7000s.  I would expect those 7000s at Midway Yard to move to the Blue Line once the track construction there is completed.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

#7053-54 & #7055-56 should be here by now. They should either be awaiting inspection at Skokie or should be at Rosemont by now with construction partially still in place on the Morgan Middle. This shouldn’t affect incoming deliveries.

as far as delivering 7041-7056 should be at skokie or rosemont

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

as far as delivering 7041-7056 should be at skokie or rosemont

Morgan middle track wouldn't affect any moves.  That would be the Loomis incline.   If that portion is completed,  ir free from construction equipment,  and the last line cut has been eliminated,  then deliveries should be ramping back up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rail Introvert said:

Just my personal opinion: I like the 7000 Series a bit better than the 5000 Series not only because the 7000 Series look better in my eyes, but also because of the how the announcement system sounds. Lee Crooks is the voice behind it, but I like how the announcements sound on the 7000 Series better than on the 5000 Series.

Nah I personally prefer the old announcements from the older stock. The new recorded announcements are good as well Id stick with the old

14 hours ago, Jstange059 said:

According to RTA, the order of 7000s are still active

https://rtams.org/capital/50011

The more detailed description says that the project is "On Schedule." Regardless if whether it is, that statement precludes CTA from declaring a default on that basis.

image.thumb.png.5f6ae245c6d53c6167c86aec35a8cfc8.png

From p. 3 of the CTA's 2024 proposed budget, published today:

7000-Series Railcars*: The 7000-series railcars are CTA’s latest generation of railcars and the first purchased by the agency in more than a decade. CTA began testing the railcars in revenue service in 2021, and testing was completed in 2022. Testing was performed across all eight rail lines and through various types of weather and working conditions. CTA currently has 50 railcars on the property, with 44 being used as part of revenue service on the Blue Line. CTA is working with CRRC Sifang America JV, which built the 7000-series railcars, to increase production and delivery of additional cars. CRRC plans to ramp-up deliveries through the end of 2023 and into 2024 with the target of delivering the contractual minimum of 10 cars a month starting mid-2024.

Slightly different numbers and timeframes on page 69:

As of January 2023, CTA has completed testing the newest model in its railcar fleet – the 7000-Series. 18 railcars were place in service for testing and evaluation in 2021 and completed November 2022. At the time of budgeting, 48 cars are now in revenue service. CTA’s base order of the 7000-Series is 400 railcars. With contractor supply chain constraints resolved, CTA expects to take delivery of 10 to 14 new railcars per month until the order is complete. The new 7000-Series railcars will replace the oldest and least efficient railcars currently operating in CTA’s fleet.

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/FY_2024_Budget_Book_(Web_Version).pdf

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wayfaringrob said:

From p. 3 of the CTA's 2024 proposed budget, published today:

Slightly different numbers and timeframes on page 69:

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/FY_2024_Budget_Book_(Web_Version).pdf

Depending on whether production hits the contractually required 10 cars/mo or ramped up 14 cars/mo., for 350 cars to go, it appears to be 35 or 25 months, respectively, which probably means completion some time in 2026.