7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

2 hours ago, midway_737 said:

I am pretty sure they only run the 7000's on weekday's since they run during the morning to UIC, but I could be wrong.

I spotted a 7000 series train around 1130a leaving IMD  heading west towards Forest Park on Thursday.   That said. I don't think they are running weekends yet.  We probably need to see a few more sets of 7000s in service before we see them on weekends  and maybe a bunch more before any get assigned to the Forest Park yard.

I’m not aware of Forest Park Yard having any 7000s assigned to it yet, or at least I can’t see them from the Eisenhower.

And if anyone is still following the Orange Line set at Midway, it’s still there, but one of the cars now has a blue light. This might have thrown a wrench into the training plans there.

2 hours ago, chitowndude84 said:

It's funny how I posted back in April 2021 on this thread that in my opinion the Blue line will be the FIRST to officially run the 7000 series in service when I noticed a blue line route map above the doors while watching a test run video on youtube in 2021 and then getting attacked/called out on here for doing ?? Hmmm ???

Waiting on some apologies now  ? ??

A map above a door in the early stages of revenue testing isn't or wouldn't be indicative of what line would receive new cars first.  The 5000s had Red Line maps when it was the first line to test those cars but the Pink Line was first to get them assigned followed by the Green Line.   

The Blue Line should have been the first line to get them because it has the oldest equipment in the largest numbers.  While the Pink Line didn't have the oldest equipment when it was the first to receive the 5000s, CTA decided to ease them into service 

For that reason,  I stated the possibility of the 7000s going to Orange and Brown first for teething purposes and the fact that the Forest Park branch was in poor shape.  Remember that the CTA cited poor track conditions for not assigning 5000s to the Red Line until they could rebuild the Dan Ryan Line.   

I didn't see the YouTube video where you were first to say the Blue Line would get the 7000s first or where you were ridiculed, but if your assumption was based on a map over the doors during the early stages of testing, you had that coming.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, chitowndude84 said:

It's funny how I posted back in April 2021 on this thread that in my opinion the Blue line will be the FIRST to officially run the 7000 series in service when I noticed a blue line route map above the doors while watching a test run video on youtube in 2021 and then getting attacked/called out on here for doing ?? Hmmm ???

Waiting on some apologies now  ? ??

In addition to what @artthouwill said, the first 10 cars were supposed to be tested for one year on all lines, and there are videos of the cars on the Orange, Green, Purple, and Pink lines. The Purple Line car has a RPY sign over the door, so there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jackathan said:

Due to supply chain issues and China's zero-covid policy, production might just slow down or worse, be halted.

1 hour ago, Jackson232 said:

Uh oh

Again "conventional wisdom" based on no access to the CRRC production control system. By this logic, better not expect a new iPhone 14.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:44 PM, chitowndude84 said:

Well i just picked up a MAJOR clue !!

Looks like the 7000 series are heading first to the BLUE AND GREEN lines !!

Check out video Time stamp 0:46       The line route map inside has the "Blue line" and next a GREEN line on them 

Also first time I ever seen "Howard" sign with a blue colored background lol 

Video Credit goes to youtube user: Transitlife NYC

On 12/25/2020 at 8:42 AM, artthouwill said:

It was a test.  There is NO EVIDENCE HERE to suggest the Blue and Green Line will get these cars first.  That doesn't mean they can't  but the video suggests nothing. 

9 minutes ago, Jackson232 said:

I’m not surprised that the brown orange and blue line trains are getting the first sets of cars because they don’t have the 5000 series.

I spotted a 7000 series train waiting for departure from the Forest Park station around 3;45PM yesterday.   Seems like there's a vonsist running the full route throughout the day.  Perhaps the other two consists are still on the a.m. rush UIC short turns?

Hopefully next week we will see an additional consist added.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 10:36 AM, Jackson232 said:

I bet it will keep going more consistent as time goes by.

Today I rode 7011 as the lead car.  This consist had consistent troubles with the doors not opening at stations.  It would take 30 seconds to a minute before the operator could actually get the doors to open.  I'm guessing that the doors don't open until the cars lower themselves.   It was very cold today and it felt like the cars had trouble lowering 

There were a couple of times when the doors easily opened.  This appeared to get better as we went along.

I should mention that train had to be " started" at Forest Park.   I don't remember  that happening since the 7000 series trains were in service.   Without the electric motor running, is it possible that some of the air lines experienced some freezing causing delays in the car leveling system  and as a result,  causing the doors problems?  There weren't any operational issues as far as braking was concerned.  It seemed strange that a train would be shut down, especially when temperatures were below freezing.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:09 PM, artthouwill said:

Today I rode 7011 as the lead car.  This consist had consistent troubles with the doors not opening at stations.  It would take 30 seconds to a minute before the operator could actually get the doors to open.  I'm guessing that the doors don't open until the cars lower themselves.   It was very cold today and it felt like the cars had trouble lowering 

There were a couple of times when the doors easily opened.  This appeared to get better as we went along.

I should mention that train had to be " started" at Forest Park.   I don't remember  that happening since the 7000 series trains were in service.   Without the electric motor running, is it possible that some of the air lines experienced some freezing causing delays in the car leveling system  and as a result,  causing the doors problems?  There weren't any operational issues as far as braking was concerned.  It seemed strange that a train would be shut down, especially when temperatures were below freezing.

I haven’t rode the 7000s enough to observe how each of their subsystems work as the train goes along the route, but I don’t know why the train leveling system would dictate the operation of the doors, unless there was something seriously wrong with it. On the 5000s the doors still open and close based on what the train operator is telling them to do, but the train doesn’t raise and lower. You can see this when a train is boarding at a stop and one car looks somewhat higher than the other.

The one time I’ve been on a 5000 Series train where the leveling system was a major problem, the entire train was unloaded and taken out of service. The rear car wasn’t level, like a less dramatic version of those tilted cars with hydraulics. I could see the car body at an angle, but I don’t know how the car or it’s doors were behaving before the train was taken out of service since I was riding several cars ahead.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:09 PM, artthouwill said:

Without the electric motor running, is it possible that some of the air lines experienced some freezing causing delays in the car leveling system  and as a result,  causing the doors problems? 

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

The rear car wasn’t level, like a less dramatic version of those tilted cars with hydraulics.

I don't know how the leveling works, but Chicago cars have not had compressed air since the 1947 PCC streetcars (remanufactured into the 6200 series rapid transit cars), and air springs that were standard on Budd trucks were not used by CTA. @artthouwillwas talking about leveling to the platform, but I would guess that it is hydraulic. 

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I haven’t rode the 7000s enough to observe how each of their subsystems work as the train goes along the route, but I don’t know why the train leveling system would dictate the operation of the doors, unless there was something seriously wrong with it. On the 5000s the doors still open and close based on what the train operator is telling them to do, but the train doesn’t raise and lower. You can see this when a train is boarding at a stop and one car looks somewhat higher than the other.

The one time I’ve been on a 5000 Series train where the leveling system was a major problem, the entire train was unloaded and taken out of service. The rear car wasn’t level, like a less dramatic version of those tilted cars with hydraulics. I could see the car body at an angle, but I don’t know how the car or it’s doors were behaving before the train was taken out of service since I was riding several cars ahead.

However on the 5000s the cars raise back up once the train starts leaving the station it’s not like how the 7000s are, once the doors are closed the cars raise back up when standing still that the 5000s don’t do. I’ve also noticed some 5000s don’t lower down onto the platform height once the doors open while a few still do, maybe it has something to do with the hydraulics or suspensions having issues when failing constantly.