7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

It’s confirmed. Also, a 4-car transfer from Skokie Shops to Rosemont that same day. 7019 was part of the transfer. 

So what exactly is the software update being tested and why are they choosing to test it only between O'HARE and UIC Halsted?

Hopefully no Chinese Spyware is included in the update.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

So what exactly is the software update being tested and why are they choosing to test it only between O'HARE and UIC Halsted?

I’m assuming the technologies could act up along the Congress branch since the tracks are in bad shape who knows. It makes much sense to test them between O’Hare and Forest Park instead of partial runs from UIC and O’Hare.

Which Blue Line "L" runs could be the 7000-series cars?

Presuming the cars are laid up overnight at Rosemont, the initial run number must be in the 100s: Dispatched from O'Hare.
From Brandon McFadden's 'CTA Reliability' World-Wide Web site page 10, we should be able to deduce what are their runs. I examined the data for Monday, 14 November. The runs are being annotated at Logan Square, so it does not apply that we have trains running light. It would seem the run has to have an even number of destinations: In order of Forest Park, O'Hare, Forest Park, O'Hare (if what has been previously stated that they make two runs in the late AM hours is correct).
But, where this theorem falters is when a run number in the 100s shows its initial destination of _O'Hare_. (A train could well run light from Rosemont to O'Hare, but it would not have gone through Logan Square.) If a train goes OoS at Forest Park, its subsequent run should have a 200-series run number. Then it would be sensible for it to show an odd number of destinations, with the final one being O'Hare.

Possibilities: [There is not a run #105.] 106, 107, 110, and 113 would squarely fit the route, but they operate at the height of AM rush. Have we heard that the Authority believes these cars are not ready for prime time (the AM rush)?
Run 109 appears once, seemingly going out of service at Forest Park. Run 112 is very problematic. In the AM, it goes OoS at UIC-Halsted. But in the PM, its next run, measured five hours and eleven minutes later, is from O'Hare to Forest Park. How did the operator get from Morgan middle track back to O'Hare? ?
Run 114 somehow runs through Logan Square twice before it is recorded heading to O'Hare. Run 117 heads to Forest Park only once; it heads for O'Hare three times, with its final appearance at Logan Square four hours and forty minutes after its previous run.
Another element we have to contemplate is that supposedly, the 7000s go OoS before the PM rush. If a run which begins in the late AM also shows service at 3:12 pm, that train is not a 7000s consist.
Anyhow, the numbers are there for you as well. They won't change. (Run 226 is also very perplexing.) The 5000-series cars correctly appear as runs 302, 303, 313, and 314.
I am comfortable scribing that we have not been given the genuine aspects of the 7000-series' runs. What I attempted to accomplish here was to give all of us an idea of when they run, for photographic or transportational purposes. I believe I have not succeeded. ?

21 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Lack of power upgrades between Racine and Forest Park. It’s in the talks to have them established in the next 2 years. Until then we can’t run 7000s nor 5000s past Racine. Also, their ATCs are super sensitive, especially the 7000s, because of the poor track conditions.

Not really on board with the Chinese Spyware comment though. 

32 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Lack of power upgrades between Racine and Forest Park. It’s in the talks to have them established in the next 2 years. Until then we can’t run 7000s nor 5000s past Racine. Also, their ATCs are super sensitive, especially the 7000s, because of the poor track conditions.

The last construction report showed some progress on the northwest side, but if it is going to take a couple of years to do anything on the Forest Park, and deliveries are supposed to be 10-14 per month, I can't see short turning some 240 cars on the Blue Line. Do the tests on the Orange Line provide any basis for just putting 120 on the Orange Line and updating it first? Or is the northwest side that big of a priority? Any word?

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

The last construction report showed some progress on the northwest side, but if it is going to take a couple of years to do anything on the Forest Park, and deliveries are supposed to be 10-14 per month, I can't see short turning some 240 cars on the Blue Line. Do the tests on the Orange Line provide any basis for just putting 120 on the Orange Line and updating it first? Or is the northwest side that big of a priority? Any word?

That’s why there’s some work going on on the Congress Branch as I speak to rectify the poor track conditions along the branch and that’s a top priority before upgrading power limits out there. There’s no word about the testing on the Orange Line justifying 7000s being delivered to that line. I’m assume it’s for training purposes for the operators and/or testing how they fare on the elevated tracks. It makes me wonder if they’re going to do the same at Kimball even though I’ve done training on them at Kimball Shop last year but only to know what’s inside. If I’m not mistaking, the O’Hare Branch should be complete with signal and power upgrades. 

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

That’s why there’s some work going on on the Congress Branch as I speak to rectify the poor track conditions along the branch and that’s a top priority before upgrading power limits out there. There’s no word about the testing on the Orange Line justifying 7000s being delivered to that line. I’m assume it’s for training purposes for the operators and/or testing how they fare on the elevated tracks. It makes me wonder if they’re going to do the same at Kimball even though I’ve done training on them at Kimball Shop last year but only to know what’s inside. If I’m not mistaking, the O’Hare Branch should be complete with signal and power upgrades. 

the word from a CRRC employee is the base order of 7000’s is going to blue line the tests were successful on the FP branch they’re only running trains (1 8 car train) to UIC AM’s is due to some software/master control testing 7005-7008 were spotted at midway the other day training for the same purpose 8-16 cars from midway are set to be retired soon and blue line will give midway 8-16 2600’s there are more 7000’s at skokie ready for delivery to rosemont and bout 60+ cars at CRRC factory waiting for delivery to skokie 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, garmon757 said:

I've seen personnel on the tracks between the Forest Park station and the diamond crossover yesterday and they have been spotted east of the crossover in recent weeks.   The irony is that more slow zones have popped up on this branch.

As for the Spyware comment, different people in government have raised concerns about cybersecurity of CRRC built cars in Washington D.zc

, Boston,  New York City,  and here.   While I was joking,  it really isn't out of the realm of possibilities. 

On 11/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, garmon757 said:

That’s why it makes more sense to send the production order of the 7000’s to Orange instead of Blue, Midway can at least have something new first while Blue will end up last because of the tracks on the congress branch and signals needing replacement which can’t support heavier equipment, if they’re done with the Jane Byrne interchange project by now I wonder when they’ll begin reconstruction of the Eisenhower if IDOT and CTA has plans for the Blue Line.

3 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

That’s why it makes more sense to send the production order of the 7000’s to Orange instead of Blue, Midway can at least have something new first while Blue will end up last because of the tracks on the congress branch and signals needing replacement which can’t support heavier equipment, if they’re done with the Jane Byrne interchange project by now I wonder when they’ll begin reconstruction of the Eisenhower if IDOT and CTA has plans for the Blue Line.

I certainly agree with you 

But I can also understand CTA'S desire to get new equipment on the Blue Line.   It's CTA’S 2nd busiest line and the gateway line for lots of tourists,  especially coming g from O'Hare.    While the 2600s have proven to be workhorses, they are increasingly becoming unreliable.   The Blue Line seems to be saddled with delays and breakdowns daily with no interference from other rail lines.  It's bad enough that the 5000s also can't run on the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line. 

The Congress branch needs a total rebuild like the Dan Ryan received back in 2013

21 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I certainly agree with you 

But I can also understand CTA'S desire to get new equipment on the Blue Line.   It's CTA’S 2nd busiest line and the gateway line for lots of tourists,  especially coming g from O'Hare.    While the 2600s have proven to be workhorses, they are increasingly becoming unreliable.   The Blue Line seems to be saddled with delays and breakdowns daily with no interference from other rail lines.  It's bad enough that the 5000s also can't run on the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line. 

The Congress branch needs a total rebuild like the Dan Ryan received back in 2013

True, I know for a fact that they’re having plans part the reconstruction on putting the Blue Line somewhere in the middle of the Ike west of Cicero to make room for them to construct right sided exit ramps opposed to the left side ones that’s still currently in use. The Congress line is the only part of the system that hasn’t been rehabbed since it was originally constructed in 1958, they really need to add elevators at each stop instead of having to use the ramps and make the platforms bigger. Now that Orange may be getting some 7000’s at the doorstep something from Orange should be retiring real soon. While blue may possibly be second or last to retire it’s 2600’s, I’m not sure how 400 cars from the base order will replace the last 507 or so 2600’s remaining.

4 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

Now that Orange may be getting some 7000’s at the doorstep something from Orange should be retiring real soon. While blue may possibly be second or last to retire it’s 2600’s, I’m not sure how 400 cars from the base order will replace the last 507 or so 2600’s remaining.

word has it midway is set to retire 8-16 2600’s soon wit blue line giving them 8-16 2600’s it’s confirmed blue line is the first to get 7000’s orange might be next up on the list 

20 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

word has it midway is set to retire 8-16 2600’s soon wit blue line giving them 8-16 2600’s it’s confirmed blue line is the first to get 7000’s orange might be next up on the list 

Here's an idea

Test one set of 7000s on the Orange Line.  The other two sets can test on the Blue Line  

On 11/22/2022 at 6:18 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I’ll say this it would be better to have them fill up orange and brown first then blue it’s a much easier transfer to Skokie.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

I’ll say this it would be better to have them fill up orange and brown first then blue it’s a much easier transfer to Skokie.

I agree.   If I'm not mistaken. I believe XTA exercised an option for 256 cars so CTA could theoretically fill the Brown and Orange Lines with u000s and fill the Blue Line with them later.   In the meantime,  Brown can send its nonroofboard  3200s to the Blue Line. 

This buys CTA time to determine what IDOT will do with the Ike rebuild and how VTA will move forward with power upgrades and track and r.o.w reconstruction on the Forest Park branch.  This is what I thought the place should have been all along, especially with the track conditions.  Thats probably why the 7000s went through multiple tests on the entire Blue Line.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Last I checked,  the Blue Line is still the second busiest line by passengers and is the longest CTA rail route by miles.

But not the Forest Park branch, which is why there are all the UIC and Racine trips.

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

only reason 7000’s run AM to UIC is temporary bcuz of software and master switch testing once that is completed in december you’ll see them go back to forest park starting january it’s already been confirmed by CTA and CRRC employees the 7000’s have passed the congress branch tests and they did well

If this is authoritative, this puts the matter at rest. It appears again that members of this board have engaged in hysteria.

13 minutes ago, William Miles said:

Do anyone knows what the update on the 7000 series. And how many do they  have in storage at the blue line o'hare rail yard

7029-30 is at Skokie recently delivered a few days ago, 7060 is at the factory according from Facebook. 7027-28 should be ready to be transferred down to Rosemont soon along with a few more unknown cars or is already there.

7001-7010, 7015-7020 and 7023-24 are at Rosemont. Rosemont should have around 18-22 cars stored. 7013-14 & 7021-22 is at Midway.

Note: Wikipedia says 42 cars have been completed.

2 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

7029-30 is at Skokie recently delivered a few days ago, 7060 is at the factory according from Facebook. 7027-28 should be ready to be transferred down to Rosemont soon along with a few more unknown cars or is already there.

7001-7010, 7015-7020 and 7023-24 are at Rosemont. Rosemont should have around 18-22 cars stored. 7013-14 & 7021-22 is at Midway.

Note: Wikipedia says 42 cars have been completed.

7011-7012, 7023-7024 rosemont as well