7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

On 7/18/2022 at 1:35 PM, Bus1883 said:

Wowwww, Hopefully the #5000’s can get them in their midlife overhaul soon. 

More importantly, the 5000s need a new seating arrangement for their overhaul & get rid of those godawful inward facing seats, which were an appalling mistake in the first place, as 99.9999% of the riders hate them!.

1 hour ago, strictures said:

More importantly, the 5000s need a new seating arrangement for their overhaul & get rid of those godawful inward facing seats, which were an appalling mistake in the first place, as 99.9999% of the riders hate them!.

IF that's possible. I'll take it in either the 3200s configuration or the 7000s configuration. Simehow i does see it happening  

1 hour ago, strictures said:

At the time, they said the structure of the 5000s wouldn't allow it, although I don't see why. The arrangement in the 7000s was specified in the specs. 

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

At the time, they said the structure of the 5000s wouldn't allow it, although I don't see why. The arrangement in the 7000s was specified in the specs. 

I was going to say the same thing.  In fact, I have said that in the past.  One would think rearranging or reconfiguring seats shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not versed in that area to argue with or disagree with an engineer.

14 hours ago, Busjack said:

Absolute BS, as the seats can be supported by an angled brace from the frame at the outside wall of the cars.

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Are you sure that Harlem Yard set was 7000s and not 5000s?

Unfortunately I wasn't there to confirm it myself, I was at O'Hare when I learned that. It was a message from a coworker that there were 7000s at Harlem. They do stand out quite a bit from the 5000s and the older cars, so I would imagine he saw them standing out against the 5000s. I do think it would be odd to see them there, so I will ask another person I know the next time I'm around there.

On 7/26/2022 at 2:16 AM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Unfortunately I wasn't there to confirm it myself, I was at O'Hare when I learned that. It was a message from a coworker that there were 7000s at Harlem. They do stand out quite a bit from the 5000s and the older cars, so I would imagine he saw them standing out against the 5000s. I do think it would be odd to see them there, so I will ask another person I know the next time I'm around there.

I went to Harlem yesterday while out riding the L for a couple of hours out of the house there were only #5000’s no #7000’s spotted

On 7/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, strictures said:

The seats are built onto the frame so that can’t happen unfortunately 

7 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

The seats are built onto the frame so that can’t happen unfortunately 

BS, they can change them!  Just remove the existing seats & install front/rear facing seats, that are attached to the frame be angled braces, just as they are on many buses, which aren't as robustly built.

On 8/5/2022 at 3:17 PM, Bus1883 said:

Uh oh looks like we are beginning to countdown for the #2600’s.

Sadly. Budd Company railcars are a dying breed, plus if CTA makes the same mistake like the MBTA where they scrapped half of the #12 type cars while #14 type cars have issues (also made by CRRC), we're doomed. I guarantee you that the 7000-series will be lemons given how frequent the #4 and #14 cars on the MBTA were recalled.

On 8/5/2022 at 3:02 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

The production cars made their first day of service on the Blue Line August 2nd.  Video premieres at 7pm tonight!

I was trying to find those trains at Forest Park Monday and Tuesday mornings. Monday they never went out to service and Tuesday they only went to UIC-Halsted and not up to Forest Park. Idk about Wednesday thru Friday since I wasn't there at the right times but at least u r able to fan at the stations north of the Forest park branch where it's a good chance u can see those 7k trains.

15 hours ago, jackathan said:

Sadly. Budd Company railcars are a dying breed, plus if CTA makes the same mistake like the MBTA where they scrapped half of the #12 type cars while #14 type cars have issues (also made by CRRC), we're doomed. I guarantee you that the 7000-series will be lemons given how frequent the #4 and #14 cars on the MBTA were recalled.

What were the issues with MBTA and their CRRC cars?

On 8/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, jackathan said:

I’m wondering what was the issue of their CRRC cars MBTA had

On 8/7/2022 at 1:45 PM, artthouwill said:

What were the issues with MBTA and their CRRC cars?

3 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

I’m wondering what was the issue of their CRRC cars MBTA had

Apparently one of the new cars suffered a battery failure, and the cars were taken out of service with an abundance of caution.   It seems that these cars have been removed from service at least 4 other times. 2 of which were derailment.

Remember that the CTA 5009s were removed from service in the middle of delivery to the Green Line.   Fortunately that was the only disruption those xara had  i think CTA will be slow to retire the 2600s. While those cars will be replaced by the 7000s,  CTA will be slow to scrap the 2600s until they feel confident about the CRRC cars are okay.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, jackathan said:

The CRRC cars for the CTA are being built in Chicago, so I assume the CTA has people in the plant observing & making sure they're being built to the correct specs, unlike the 5000s, which had garbage truck castings from China, from a company that had never cast rail trucks before. 

Sort of like when the crane company in NYC sent a cracked crane base to China for repair, to a company that had never repaired a crane base before, instead of to Milwaukee, where it was made.

That was the crane that toppled over & killed people & wrecked another building.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Apparently one of the new cars suffered a battery failure, and the cars were taken out of service with an abundance of caution.   It seems that these cars have been removed from service at least 4 other times. 2 of which were derailment.

Remember that the CTA 5009s were removed from service in the middle of delivery to the Green Line.   Fortunately that was the only disruption those xara had  i think CTA will be slow to retire the 2600s. While those cars will be replaced by the 7000s,  CTA will be slow to scrap the 2600s until they feel confident about the CRRC cars are okay.

Btwn this & WMATA, the last quiet and issue-free rolling stock delivery had to have been Miami-Dade's in 2017. No one heard about that one