7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

7 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

I wish they were sent to the Orange or Brown Line instead of the Blue, which is most likely the first two lines to retire their #2600’s in exchange of the #7000’s while the Blue should wait until IDOT finishes rolling the ball…?

Believe me the CTA probably doesn't want to send 7000s to blue but it has to., because the 5000s can't go past racine and there's only so much 3200s to go around. 

On 4/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, Bus1883 said:

I wish they were sent to the Orange or Brown Line instead of the Blue, which is most likely the first two lines to retire their #2600’s in exchange of the #7000’s while the Blue should wait until IDOT finishes rolling the ball…?

Outta those three lines, the Blue Line 2600s are in the worst condition compare to the ones that are on the Orange and Brown Lines. It's no surprise the 7000s are going to hit service on the Blue Line first. Like BusHunter stated, the 5000 Series cars can't go past Racine, and there ain't that many 3200 Series cars. The 2600 Series cars on the Blue seen better days anyway.

45 minutes ago, ajay said:

. It's no surprise the 7000s are going to hit service on the Blue Line first. Like BusHunter stated, the 5000 Series cars can't go past Racine,

What's the difference between the 5000s and 7000s that the 5000s can't and the 7000s can?

1 hour ago, ajay said:

Outta those three lines, the Blue Line 2600s are in the worst condition compare to the ones that are on the Orange and Brown Lines. It's no surprise the 7000s are going to hit service on the Blue Line first. Like BusHunter stated, the 5000 Series cars can't go past Racine, and there ain't that many 3200 Series cars. The 2600 Series cars on the Blue seen better days anyway.

Well they could have put almost all the #3200's on the Blue but I guess that is too ridiculous an idea for them. Blue would still have 2600s, so that don't make sense. 

There are rumblings on the net that Orange and Brown will get new 7000s after Blue. That's a really wild idea. I think Red will end up with them somehow either by taking the blue line ones or nixing brown and orange 7000s. 

I wonder if such a long line out to 130th is a smart idea. Would a branch line 130th to 95th work on the red like the purple up north. The terminal is there at 95th. 

14 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well they could have put almost all the #3200's on the Blue but I guess that is too ridiculous an idea for them. Blue would still have 2600s, so that don't make sense. 

There are rumblings on the net that Orange and Brown will get new 7000s after Blue. That's a really wild idea. I think Red will end up with them somehow either by taking the blue line ones or nixing brown and orange 7000s. 

I wonder if such a long line out to 130th is a smart idea. Would a branch line 130th to 95th work on the red like the purple up north. The terminal is there at 95th. 

Branch line? 

14 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

So what are you saying the Purple Line Handles Linden to 95th and Red Line becomes the Roseland Shuttle?

8 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Branch line? 

I think he's proposing a Purple line shuttle part deaux.

In other words a South Purple Line shuttle from 130th to 95th.   The only way I would support that is if there would be 4 tracks along the Dan Ryan that would support express service between 95th and downtown.   I

Otherwise no.  The difference is that 130th is still within the city limits and is as far way from downtown as Linden which straddles Evanston and Wilmette. 

2 hours ago, ajay said:

Yeah there still aren’t enough #3200’s to completely fill the Blue Line which would only make up 70% of the lines rolling stock. The roof board ones most definitely can’t fit through the Kimball subway because the ceiling is too low.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think he's proposing a Purple line shuttle part deaux.

In other words a South Purple Line shuttle from 130th to 95th.   The only way I would support that is if there would be 4 tracks along the Dan Ryan that would support express service between 95th and downtown.   I

Otherwise no.  The difference is that 130th is still within the city limits and is as far way from downtown as Linden which straddles Evanston and Wilmette. 

The question is does 130th need the service frequency of 95th? 95th has a mega bus terminal plus a yard and terminal station. So its equipped to do the job. In a perfect world why not have a south side express, even if it's one way. Bet it would draw riders. 95th is like a Howard type station. 

49 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The question is does 130th need the service frequency of 95th? 95th has a mega bus terminal plus a yard and terminal station. So its equipped to do the job. In a perfect world why not have a south side express, even if it's one way. Bet it would draw riders. 95th is like a Howard type station. 

95th is the busiest Red Line station.   130th would be served by CTA and Pace routes.  It may not be the hub 95th is, but it will do better than Ashland branch. COTTAGE Grove, Kimball,  or 54/Cermak.   Far South Siders will eventually see their travel times dwindle and that could improve ridership with more riders coming from the south suburbs.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I don't know about 130th station itself, but the other stations along the extension (103rd, 111th, Michigan) could benefit from high frequency. This extension would also result in a bus restructure where the buses are spread across the stations instead of all going to 95th. As such, instead of having everyone board at 95th, ridership would be more spread out across the stations. These stations definitely won't have the ridership that 95th has now, and maybe even less than 79th and 87th, but I think the high frequency makes sense for the extension.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So do you think 95th will be a short turn location like 63rd?

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

95th is the busiest Red Line station.   130th would be served by CTA and Pace routes.  It may not be the hub 95th is, but it will do better than Ashland branch. COTTAGE Grove, Kimball,  or 54/Cermak.   Far South Siders will eventually see their travel times dwindle and that could improve ridership with more riders coming from the south suburbs.

The Dan Ryan will need the same peak direction as it currently has considering as art said the ridership just spreads across the new station vs all coming to 95th. So 103rd buses drop their load at 103rd etc. The real question is what do you do about the excess trains from the Northside peak considering the extension adds to the problem. The main solution is to let purple become a full time route and throw it in the subway, have them leave Howard 6 min apart for both lines, use Argyle Middle to place red line extras that Howard couldn't handle and run those to Garfield and turn those at 63rd middle similar to the Jeff Park-UIC runs. Now you got a combined frequency of 1.5-min between Argyle and Roosevelt and bidirectional 6 min frequency on the Dan Ryan south of Garfield which matches the current pattern PLUS inserts empty trains in the middle of the line for both ends. I'd use some of the purples to become ravenstons and go to Western brown line to do a trip to the loop, go back to Belmont and then lay up at Howard which takes care of the problem of brownages causing excess service on the orange line. 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

it’s very possible considering how far 130th is

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

So do you think 95th will be a short turn location like 63rd?

Reports say the set up can't be changed to allow short turned trains to be inserted in a smooth way. Plus the new stations are picking up everything that would have came to 95th hence the demand of the Dan Ryan should be the same. What needs to be short turned are the extras from northside which is why I made my suggestion in the post above. What I suggest requires the Roosevelt tower to be upgraded and Identra coils for purple 

8 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Reports say the set up can't be changed to allow short turned trains to be inserted in a smooth way. Plus the new stations are picking up everything that would have came to 95th hence the demand of the Dan Ryan should be the same. What needs to be short turned are the extras from northside which is why I made my suggestion in the post above. What I suggest requires the Roosevelt tower to be upgraded and Identra coils for purple 

there’s that middle track that’s gonna be built with the RPM if i remember correctly it’s gonna be between berwyn and bryn mawr stations once everything is complete in that section

25 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

there’s that middle track that’s gonna be built with the RPM if i remember correctly it’s gonna be between berwyn and bryn mawr stations once everything is complete in that section

That's the track I was talking about. Winona/Foster middle which means the trains would start at Argyle. Reds doing Argyle to Garfield would place empty trains close to the heart of the line and those trains would only have a 30-40 min run vs sending all trains from Howard all the way to 130th running empty