7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jackathan said:

7037-7038 are at Midway yard

I had surmised before that possibly the Orange Line could receive some 7000s.  I was told that all 400 were slated for the Blue Line.   That could still be the case,  but at some point the Orange Line will get 7000s.  The question is whether they will be a part of the base order or one of the options

On 9/24/2022 at 12:33 PM, artthouwill said:

I had surmised before that possibly the Orange Line could receive some 7000s.  I was told that all 400 were slated for the Blue Line.   That could still be the case,  but at some point the Orange Line will get 7000s.  The question is whether they will be a part of the base order or one of the options

Not having any inside info, I note:

• The Orange Line was downgraded from 3200s to 2600s; the only time I know of a line getting older equipment.
  • The Sept. Construction Report states that a number of Blue Line substations need to be upgraded, as a result of the "Blue Line Load Flow study," especially on the northwest side. Maybe the Blue Line can't take a lot of 7000s in the immediate future.

41 minutes ago, rl12383 said:

Looks like their should be one more pair at midway. This was posted a few days ago, supposed transfer to orange kine:

I wonder why not just put the already delivered cars on the Orange Line rather than have them sitting at Rosemont?  To be honest, while CTA upgrades the power on the O'Hare branch of the Blue Lune, why not just assign the new cars to the Orange and Brown Lines and at some point,  they can eventually start assigning them to the Blue Line?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I wonder why not just put the already delivered cars on the Orange Line rather than have them sitting at Rosemont?  To be honest, while CTA upgrades the power on the O'Hare branch of the Blue Lune, why not just assign the new cars to the Orange and Brown Lines and at some point,  they can eventually start assigning them to the Blue Line?

At some point I feel that it’s pointless to have them sit at Rosemont for weeks and months and not run them very often, if it’s your new toy then why not play with it? Makes sense to start them on the Orange and Brown Lines first to start sending #2600’s to Skokie in preparation for stripping parts for the remaining ones needing repairs and sent off to the scrapyard. The option cars can cover the Blue Line whenever that Line is fixed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I always thought the 7000s should've been assigned to the Orange Line and the Brown Line first so the best of the 2600s from both lines could return to the Blue Line and the older cars could be retired, sold and scrapped. Some can even become work cars along with the 2400s. It might be be too early but you can get 8 2600s cars to be a part of the Heritage series. The remaining 3200s from the Brown Line can be reassigned to the Blue Line at some point and retire some 2600s until the Blue Line can fully handle 5000s and 7000s and retire all of the remaining 2600s. 

Edited by renardo870
Added additional info

10 hours ago, renardo870 said:

I always thought the 7000s should've been assigned to the Orange Line and the Brown Line first so the best of the 2600s from both lines could return to the Blue Line and the older cars could be retired, sold and scrapped. Some can even become work cars along with the 2400s. It might be be too early but you can get 8 2600s cars to be a part of the Heritage series. The remaining 3200s from the Brown Line can be reassigned to the Blue Line at some point and retire some 2600s until the Blue Line can fully handle 5000s and 7000s and retire all of the remaining 2600s. 

The ROOFBOARD 3200s would either stay on the Brown Line or go to the Orange Line.   They can't go to the Blue Line because those cars won't fit in the subway between California and Addison aka the Kimball subway.  Those cars are 3441 thru 3456.   

As slow as the delivery has been going,  the Orange Line could be all 7000s relatively quickly.   Are there any new 7000s at Skokie?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Well the 5000s can’t fully run on the Blue especially the Congress branch because those tracks had enough

33 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

Well the 5000s can’t fully run on the Blue especially the Congress branch because those tracks had enough

I'm aware of that Forest Park branch is in bad shape and that power upgrades are ongoing on the O'Hare branch. That's why they only have 5000s from 54th to do 2 round trips from Racine to Jefferson Park in the AM and PM rush. I was stating when the Blue Line is fully upgraded, then the 5000s and the 7000s can operate fully from Forest Park to O'Hare. 

10 hours ago, renardo870 said:

I'm aware of that Forest Park branch is in bad shape and that power upgrades are ongoing on the O'Hare branch. That's why they only have 5000s from 54th to do 2 round trips from Racine to Jefferson Park in the AM and PM rush. I was stating when the Blue Line is fully upgraded, then the 5000s and the 7000s can operate fully from Forest Park to O'Hare. 

Most definitely the Blue Line will get the #7000’s and I’m pretty sure that once the  Blue gets the 400 cars either from the base order or the optional cars then the 2 or 3 sets of #5000’s will go back to the Red Line or stay on the Pink Line where they are stored. 

On 9/25/2022 at 12:38 PM, Busjack said:

Not having any inside info, I note:

• The Orange Line was downgraded from 3200s to 2600s; the only time I know of a line getting older equipment.
  • The Sept. Construction Report states that a number of Blue Line substations need to be upgraded, as a result of the "Blue Line Load Flow study," especially on the northwest side. Maybe the Blue Line can't take a lot of 7000s in the immediate future.

Tbh Orange should of have stayed with the #3200’s and gave their #2600’s to the Brown Line and sent all of their #3200’s and the roof board ones over to the Orange Line, they were a good gift for the opening of the Orange Line when it opened on the last day of October of 1993, they’re the perfect cars in my opinion that’s suitable for the Orange Line since they have a spot to where you put your luggage next to one of the seats. I miss seeing them on the Orange Line especially I wanted to see how they look with the full rehabs.

Edited by Bus1883

3 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

There has been some train operator training for the 7000 Series out of Midway Yard lately. They’ve been starting early in the morning and been taking the 4 car set around the Loop like a regular Orange Line. I’ve seen it pass by 14th Middle track once.

Spotted it towards Roosevelt