7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

13 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I haven’t rode the 7000s enough to observe how each of their subsystems work as the train goes along the route, but I don’t know why the train leveling system would dictate the operation of the doors, unless there was something seriously wrong with it. On the 5000s the doors still open and close based on what the train operator is telling them to do, but the train doesn’t raise and lower. You can see this when a train is boarding at a stop and one car looks somewhat higher than the other.

The one time I’ve been on a 5000 Series train where the leveling system was a major problem, the entire train was unloaded and taken out of service. The rear car wasn’t level, like a less dramatic version of those tilted cars with hydraulics. I could see the car body at an angle, but I don’t know how the car or it’s doors were behaving before the train was taken out of service since I was riding several cars ahead.

Replaying that day in my mind, I'm starting to think that there were problems with the train prior to boarding, possibly from the previous trip.  That could explain why the train was shut down, perhaps to reset the computer or electronics..  

The supervisor at Forest Park opened and closed the doors.  It appeared that she attempted to move the train a couple of times unsuccessfully 

Each time she would open and close the doors.  Then she was able to move the train. But she stopped because she wasn't going to be the operator.  The operator came on and she left.  He closed the doors but couldn't take off.  After reopening and closing the doors, we finally left.

When we arrived at Harlem  the opposite happened.   The doors wouldn't open

After a couple of attempts., he xame out of the xab and attempted to open the doors through the cut out with the master key.  That didn't work   but he eventually got the doors open.   A couple of times I felt the train  " hit bottom" meaning the car leveling to the platform reached its lowest point.  That's when it seemed like the doors would open.  This repeated at Oak Parkand Austin.

At Cicero and Pulaski the doors seemed to work fine

There was another 7000 series train headed west at Pulaski.   The problems resurfaced at Kedzie/Homan and Western,  but opened normally at my stop at Illinois Medical District. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Replaying that day in my mind, I'm starting to think that there were problems with the train prior to boarding, possibly from the previous trip.  That could explain why the train was shut down, perhaps to reset the computer or electronics..  

The supervisor at Forest Park opened and closed the doors.  It appeared that she attempted to move the train a couple of times unsuccessfully 

Each time she would open and close the doors.  Then she was able to move the train. But she stopped because she wasn't going to be the operator.  The operator came on and she left.  He closed the doors but couldn't take off.  After reopening and closing the doors, we finally left.

When we arrived at Harlem  the opposite happened.   The doors wouldn't open

After a couple of attempts., he xame out of the xab and attempted to open the doors through the cut out with the master key.  That didn't work   but he eventually got the doors open.   A couple of times I felt the train  " hit bottom" meaning the car leveling to the platform reached its lowest point.  That's when it seemed like the doors would open.  This repeated at Oak Parkand Austin.

At Cicero and Pulaski the doors seemed to work fine

There was another 7000 series train headed west at Pulaski.   The problems resurfaced at Kedzie/Homan and Western,  but opened normally at my stop at Illinois Medical District. 

Could this be another reason why we are getting them delivered at a slow pace? With them sometimes having minor issues?

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Six 7000s made the journey from Skokie Shops to Rosemont this morning. I couldn’t see their car numbers from where I was, so I don’t know if they are new cars or coming back from the CRRC factory (a switch person told me they’re still ironing out the bugs on them).

Those should be new cars, I haven’t heard about any new car numbers mentioned, they could quietly be sneaked onto the system without us knowing unless we check ourselves?. From what I can remember #7011-12 were the only units we know that were sent back to factory then China before returning back they're currently peacefully relaxing around on the Blue Line now.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:53 AM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Six 7000s made the journey from Skokie Shops to Rosemont this morning. I couldn’t see their car numbers from where I was, so I don’t know if they are new cars or coming back from the CRRC factory (a switch person told me they’re still ironing out the bugs on them).

7025-7026 and 7035-7036 is one of the 7000s recently transferred, spotted these four recently a few days ago. 7045-46 is at the factory and should be delivered by now credits to chicago L facebook group.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

7025-7026 and 7035-7036 is one of the 7000s recently transferred, spotted these four recently a few days ago. 7045-46 is at the factory and should be delivered by now credits to chicago L facebook group.

There was also photos, Thursday, of 7042 on its way to Skokie on the expressway, also on Facebook.

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2022 at 6:34 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

only reason 7000’s run AM to UIC is temporary bcuz of software and master switch testing once that is completed in december you’ll see them go back to forest park starting january it’s already been confirmed by CTA and CRRC employees the 7000’s have passed the congress branch tests and they did well

At last Friday's Central Electric Railfans' Association meeting, somebody queried Bruce Moffat (who attended) about the 7000s and he remarked they have not yet been officially accepted. There is a "language" quandary about its software.

I respectfully offer I believe B. Moffat to be more knowledgable about this because he is higher up in the Authority heirarchy.

38 minutes ago, pudgym29 said:

At last Friday's Central Electric Railfans' Association meeting, somebody queried Bruce Moffat (who attended) about the 7000s and he remarked they have not yet been officially accepted. There is a "language" quandary about its software.

I respectfully offer I believe B. Moffat to be more knowledgable about this because he is higher up in the Authority heirarchy.

I find it odd that more 7000 series cars beyond the prototypes are being received at Skokie and are entering service on the Blue Line.   Beyond the short turns,  there are at least two consists running the full route all day. That said, I have not found the Notice to Proceed.  Or maybe one was given prior to the software update.  That could still be different from " accepting " the cars.  I was under the impression that the short turns were for testing purposes and that the testing was completed.   Are the full route runs still considered testing?  Is this a delay payment tactic?  

47 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

That could still be different from " accepting " the cars.

CTA contracts (not the usual formulation) have something called "conditional acceptance." That's how CTA stuck NABI with the buses 5 or so years after they were received. So, in that sense, @pudgym29's story is consistent, although one would have thought that the bugs were worked out in the one year of testing, but they weren't in the Bombardier cars, either (supposedly it was a software issue that prevented them from crossing the Tower 18 junction).

After recent events abd the subsequent shooting of a Chinese balloon that flew across the U.S., perhaps CTA should consider removing the 7000s from service and have them inspected for spyware.   As a matter of fact,  rge U.S. government should have the CRRC plant inspected as well.  Extreme?  Maybe.   If they are bold enough to float a spy balloon over this country,  they are capable of doing anything.   I've noted before about cybersecurity concerns involving CRRC but railcars.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

Are the 7000s going to be like the 5000s where the interior color changes at a certain point like 5269-5714? By the way the blue interior on the 5000s was nice and unique compared to the rest of the L fleet. 

That was an arbitrary decision by the Chief Engineer.

57 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

Are the 7000s going to be like the 5000s where the interior color changes at a certain point like 5269-5714? By the way the blue interior on the 5000s was nice and unique compared to the rest of the L fleet. 

Someone has mentioned that they will have a light green interior? It’ll look ugly on the 7000s when they change the options why not make it the blue that’s the color of the seats it’ll look good on them. 

• garmon757 changed the title to 7000-series - Delivery & Updates
  • garmon757 pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I rode on car 7020 earlier today and it was an unusual experience to say the least.  There was an entire door window pane missing.  Surprisingly enough, it didn't bother anyone- the noise or the cold air.  In fact, the train was so crowded, I think people just  wanted to get to their destinations.  I'm surprised the operator didn't evacuate the car after being made aware of it.