7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

52 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

At this point,  expect to see the 2600s for at least until the end of 2024.

No way end of 2024. As discussed above, if CRRC could deliver 14 cars/month, it would take about 30 months. Maybe the end of 2025.

It's possible that CTA is banking on the 9000s starting to come in by then, but given the time for design and bid, and the 1-year testing period, probably not. But one would have to compare that to when CRRC could have started producing Option 1 and whether some of Option 1 would have been necessary to replace 2600s.

10 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

employee at CRRC………..

I'm sure a "reliable source." ?  Maybe he can explain in detail why production was halted.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

I'm sure a "reliable source." ?  Maybe he can explain in detail why production was halted.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

What was the delay?  

the company that made seats went bankrupt…….factory just got prototype seats in 2 weeks ago so they’re being reviewed and 2nd and final reason for this long of delay is there’s issues wit the gearboxes that the factory is sorting out wit Siemens

43 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

the company that made seats went bankrupt…….factory just got prototype seats in 2 weeks ago so they’re being reviewed and 2nd and final reason for this long of delay is there’s issues wit the gearboxes that the factory is sorting out wit Siemens

Do we know who is the manufacturer of the original seats? I’d like to be able to verify this claim. 

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Do we know who is the manufacturer of the original seats? I’d like to be able to verify this claim. 

3 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

Kustom Seating Unlimited 

Web indicates that they have CRRC contract but nothing that they declared bankruptcy or shut down (and one doesn't lead to the other). Source other than hearsay?

Apparently now part of [German] Kiel Group as KSU NA LLC.

On 5/8/2023 at 4:18 PM, Busjack said:

Maybe related, maybe not. Mass Transit Magazine says CRRC MA is having all sorts of problems with its MBTA and SEPTA contracts. Similar report in Mass Live.

CTA may be thinking like TTC, when Bombardier was blowing deadlines, made a back-up contract with Alstom for concurrent deliveries.

FYI: a link to the MBTA's Interim General Manager's presentation. It looks like the you know what has hit the fan there, and CTA does not want to make the same mistake (including adding more cars before getting significant performance on the base order). Again, my guess.

another update……..7047-7048 to be delivered to skokie this week……..currently at skokie shops 7041-7046 and then 47-48 to join em soon no word on delivery to rosemont but that’s just a small update i got……..7049-7060 are outside the factory awaiting delivery 100-150 cars to be delivered by end of year (IF) everything goes well after this small delay

20 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

another update……..7047-7048 to be delivered to skokie this week……..currently at skokie shops 7041-7046 and then 47-48 to join em soon no word on delivery to rosemont but that’s just a small update i got……..7049-7060 are outside the factory awaiting delivery 100-150 cars to be delivered by end of year (IF) everything goes well after this small delay

Are you going to provide proof that 60 7000 series cars have already been manufactured?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure if it’s because the Blue Line has more 7000s available or another reason, but while driving to Harlem I spotted a set of them at Desplaines Yard on the curve by the shops towards the tracks by the Eisenhower. Their car numbers were in the high teens and low twenties, so nothing new there, and I’ve seen 7000s sitting in Desplaines/Forest Park Yard before, but never that far west in the yard.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the RTAMS PMO cited by @Tcmetro:

Current Status

Status conferences continued with CRRC to address/track various items. Revenue service testing ended and production deliveries begun in this reporting period. CTA inspection personnel continue working in China and continue to conduct welded subassembly checks and production car body shell inspections for production cars. There are approximately 22 assembled car body shells, and 58 cars total in various stages of completion. Final assembly continues on 48 cars in the US, with the Chicago facility up to car 7094. CTA has accepted 44 of the cars thus far for revenue service.

Last Updated 06.22.2023

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chgofan78 said:

I wonder with the upcoming Blue Line trackwork, if any 7000s are delivered, will they just remain at Skokie until October?

I don't know how much room they would have to store them.   Ut judging by the slow pace of delivery, that might not be a problem.  Otherwise Harlem Yard and Midway Yard are possibilities if needed. 

2 hours ago, Javi75 said:

What’s the deal with the 7000s, is CTA still going to get the full base order? Is there any possibility for picking up any additional options? 

As far as I know CTA has received funding for $200M to purchase 9000s which is yet to be designed. Due to the issues of production delaying future deliveries, they will just do the 400 cars of the base order and not proceed to do the options.