7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

1 hour ago, Javi75 said:

Anybody think CRRC is going to switch up the interior color on later 7000s like when the rest of the 5000s were blue interior cars. 

Anything is possible,  bur I think if they wanted to introduce a new interior color, they would have done so already.  I wasn't a fan of the blue on the 5000s and I don't think many people liked it either.   

8 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I saw 7021-7022 last night at Rosemont Yard. The highest car numbers I’ve seen so far out there. There’s a good amount of 7000s in the yard too, enough to make up two or three Blue Line trains.

Seeing that 7011 and 7012 are in China, the most cars CTA would have is 20 of the 7000 series.  That equals 2 seta of 8 car consists and one 4 car consist.  Considering the final assembly plant is here, deliver are awfully sliw.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Seeing that 7011 and 7012 are in China, the most cars CTA would have is 20 of the 7000 series.  That equals 2 seta of 8 car consists and one 4 car consist.  Considering the final assembly plant is here, deliver are awfully sliw.

In China I thought they was being built here in the city in the Pullman or west Pullman hood from what the news said 

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

In China I thought they was being built here in the city in the Pullman or west Pullman hood from what the news said 

They are being built in Chicago.  The sole reason to send them to China would be to show them off to their bosses in China, but that still doesn't make any sense.

9 hours ago, strictures said:

They are being built in Chicago.  The sole reason to send them to China would be to show them off to their bosses in China, but that still doesn't make any sense.

It was reported that 7011 shell was damaged in shipment and was shipped back to China.

Car shells are manufactured in China, transported by ships to Los Angeles or Houston, and then by trucks to Chicago to be completed at the CRRC Sifang America plant. 70% of the total cost of the car components come from U.S. manufacturers.

12 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The car shells are built in China.  The shells are then shipped to Chicago for assembly.   They are assembled in the Hegewisch neighborhood on the far southeast side of the city, near the Ford Assembly Plant around 126th and Torrence. 

Body damage happened to 7011 while being delivered from the plant to Skokie Shops. Therefore those cars were shipped back to China  for body shell damage.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

Three sets of 8-car trains will give us 24 cars total?

True. Though they could already have car numbers higher than that at Rosemont and I just didn’t see them. All the 7000s there were off to the side by the O’Hare bound track and the way they were lined up meant that I couldn’t get all the car numbers there. It’s still progress though!

1 hour ago, Rhys Pate said:

At 10 cars per month, it will take more than 3 years to complete the base order of the 7000-series (400 cars). This means that the 2600-series will be in service until about late-2025.

At that rate, and assuming VTA exercises all options, the 3200s won't be finished until the end of 2026 or beginning of 2027 

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The car shells are built in China.  The shells are then shipped to Chicago for assembly.   They are assembled in the Hegewisch neighborhood on the far southeast side of the city, near the Ford Assembly Plant around 126th and Torrence. 

Body damage happened to 7011 while being delivered from the plant to Skokie Shops. Therefore those cars were shipped back to China  for body shell damage.

God dam can't nothing be made here in the US 

13 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

God dam can't nothing be made here in the US 

In the U.S, we have

A.  High wages ( union scale pay)

B.  High taxes

C.  Expensive parts such as

1.  Electrical components 

2. U.S. made steel

China, Mexico, India, the Philippines  offer

A.  Lower wages

B.  Lower costs for parts

C.  Lower price tag for product or service

US. Customers want the cheapest price.  If that comes from a foreign entity. so be it.

Foreigners support their own economy, regardless of cost. 

• Upvote 1

Also, the American market for railcars is relatively small and every city has very different specs.

For what it's worth, the CRRC cars meet the "Buy America" regulations set by the Federal Government. It's not that different of a set up than Bombardier, Siemens, Kawasaki, or Alstom.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Also, the American market for railcars is relatively small and every city has very different specs.

For what it's worth, the CRRC cars meet the "Buy America" regulations set by the Federal Government. It's not that different of a set up than Bombardier, Siemens, Kawasaki, or Alstom.

Last time a joint purchase was made for railcars was Baltimore & Miami’s original rolling stock, I believe. After that, I don’t think any 2 agencies have gotten the same rolling stock, although many have gotten upgraded versions of previous ones. 

Light rail, otoh, has sort of seen semi-consistent homogenization for decades 

17 hours ago, artthouwill said:

In the U.S, we have

A.  High wages ( union scale pay)

B.  High taxes

C.  Expensive parts such as

1.  Electrical components 

2. U.S. made steel

China, Mexico, India, the Philippines  offer

A.  Lower wages

B.  Lower costs for parts

C.  Lower price tag for product or service

US. Customers want the cheapest price.  If that comes from a foreign entity. so be it.

Foreigners support their own economy, regardless of cost. 

I know but it's just said how big companies really like working the shit out of people like slaves over there for pennies just saying 

19 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Chicago's problem is that the curves in the Loop limit the cars to 1892 dimensions. On the other hand, Boston's CRRC cars are supposedly based on a couple of Chinese models. 

• 2 weeks later...