7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

They can't send too many trains on blue without turning most around at UIC soon to be IMD at this point. I wonder if IMD might be able to turn more trains to the point that there is full time short turns on blue so putting new trains on Blue may not be as much an issue compared to before. Notice Red had more than 2 5000s before the shutdown. Yes they timed it to where they came after the Ryan rebuild but cta didn't harp about peer being an issue seeing as they had all the power upgrades in place which allowed what showed up to show up. 

As far as expansion cars I think we gotta look at what accounts for each expansion. We were at 1190 pre 5000 delivery now we have 1490. I think the extra cars accounted for the Red line extension (reports from before the 5000s arrived considered counting those for expansion or airport runs)  already plus extra runs slotted in for and after Decrowding. Slow zone and bottleneck elimination allows what's on the road to move faster and complete More trips so the 7000s really only bring us up 70 more cars now granted this is based on chicago-L.com and not @BusHunter rosters which might be more up to date (the Chicago l site cites 2018 as the last update) I'll adjust my guesses from there 

22 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

As far as expansion cars I think we gotta look at what accounts for each expansion. We were at 1190 pre 5000 delivery now we have 1490. I think the extra cars accounted for the Red line extension (reports from beforeI'm the 5000s arrived considered counting those for expa Yournsion or airport runs)  already plus extra runs slotted in for and after Decrowding. Slow zone and bottleneck elimination allows what's on the road to move faster and complete More trips so the 7000s really only bring us up 70 more cars now granted this is based on chicago-L.com and not @BusHunter rosters which might be more up to date (the Chicago l site cites 2018 as the last update) I'll adjust my guesses from there 

I'm assuming you're assuming all 846 cars. The earlier RLE documentation assumed 84 additional cars would be needed for the Red Line. Several of the bottlenecks listed in the Capacity Report (Clark Jct., O'Hare power and signals) have been or are being remedied. 

That raises the question that if CTA said that the replacement level is 1370, and you say there are 1490 cars, how many are now wrecks or not really serviceable? The 1490 number indicates that replacement would require exercising the first expansion option (100 of 190).

21 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I'm assuming you're assuming all 846 cars. The earlier RLE documentation assumed 84 additional cars would be needed for the Red Line. Several of the bottlenecks listed in the Capacity Report (Clark Jct., O'Hare power and signals) have been or are being remedied. 

That raises the question that if CTA said that the replacement level is 1370, and you say there are 1490 cars, how many are now wrecks or not really serviceable? The 1490 number indicates that replacement would require exercising the first expansion option (100 of 190).

Yeah I remember seeing the 84 for the Red line before the 5000s even touched Chicago rails so I counted that as accounted for when the 5000s came about and bumped us up 300 from 1190 to 1490. I also came back and left the 1490 as a gray area because I checked and saw that while my numbers were from a more stable source it's old by 4 years and your count of 1370 could very well be right especially if it's dated for more recent. So your 1370 still puts us up 280 BUT  after you accounted for expansions and service additions (100 for brownages as you pointed out, 84 for red line expansion, plus decrowd and post decrowd additions) those extra 5000s are already accounted for. What's up for grabs is did we jump up that extra 300 thinking we'd have the extension by now? Or did those just go to current expansions with the 7000s now being part of the red line extension cars ??

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

...and your count of 1370 could very well be right especially if it's dated for more recent. So your 1370 still puts us up 280 BUT  after you accounted for expansions and service additions (100 for brownages as you pointed out, 84 for red line expansion, plus decrowd and post decrowd additions) those extra 5000s are already accounted for.....

I didn't account for anything on the current roster, but just that 714 5000s and 656 "replacement" 7000s equaled 1370. Considering decrowd and the like, that didn't seem like enough.

Neither of us seem to have a current roster and chicago-l.org seems to have deleted it. Anyone else have a source?

17 hours ago, Busjack said:

I didn't account for anything on the current roster, but just that 714 5000s and 656 "replacement" 7000s equaled 1370. Considering decrowd and the like, that didn't seem like enough.

Neither of us seem to have a current roster and chicago-l.org seems to have deleted it. Anyone else have a source?

Was one of the options after the base order of 400 for an additional 256 with a third option bringing them up to a total of 846 7000s? Cause then i can see where you get the 656 adding to the 1370 adding them to the 5000s so depending on what the current roster/count is then that's a shrinkage depending on how close to the 1492 we are as last stated on Chicago-L which accounts for all the 5000s being here but again is 4 years old. I haven't counted @BusHunter roster or checked for how recent his is. IF all 846 cars are exercised then that brings us to 1560. You already pointed out In the past that 5000s bloated the fleet by the 100 car increase in midway for brownages, then a few blue lines added, rush trips on the green line from 2016 increases probably eat up about 150 of the 300 surplus cars introduced with the 5000s so we know off bat that that with 1190 cars beforehand, fleet requirements bumps that to 1340 so maybe Chicago-L is still accurate considering they probably are keeping some spares and maybe the last of the 5000s are being held at Howard waiting to be introduced as part of ramped up red line service resulting from the flyover. Then exercising the full 846 car option would bring enough to replace the 656 2600s and 3200s remaining while anything after that becomes expansion

17 hours ago, Busjack said:

Actually went ahead and counted Bushunters roster which says 7/30/20 as a last update and shows 1450 Passenger cars in service. So if anything with current fleet requirements needing 1340 cars counting all the extra service from decrowding, 2016 service and anything else we a 110 surplus which gives  enough to add the 8 cars red line is projected to add. After that you need all 846 cars to expand the fleet and accommodate the extended red (Unless they use the Argyle/Winona Middle Track to turn back/put-in some rush hours short turn trains reducing requirements) and still add service to blue and Brown maybe even purple if people get their wish on it becoming a full time route 

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Actually went ahead and counted Bushunters roster which says 7/30/20 as a last update and shows 1450 Passenger cars in service. So if anything with current fleet requirements needing 1340 cars counting all the extra service from decrowding, 2016 service and anything else we a 110 surplus which gives  enough to add the 8 cars red line is projected to add. After that you need all 846 cars to expand the fleet and accommodate the extended red (Unless they use the Argyle/Winona Middle Track to turn back/put-in some rush hours short turn trains reducing requirements) and still add service to blue and Brown maybe even purple if people get their wish on it becoming a full time route 

I have one from nov. Dont know if its current with whats on here. Ill have to cross reference it

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They are supposed to be on the blue line to stay now. We will see. I just can't believe Blue line is getting new equipment, it's like the Cubs winning the World Series!!

I'm waiting for the Notice to Proceed 

Since the final assembly is in Hegewisch. Delivery time should be pretty short.  When they start coming in, I'll be interesting to see whether CtA starts retiring Blue Line 2600s first or start shipping 3200s back to Brown and retire Brown Line 2600s. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

They are supposed to be on the blue line to stay now. We will see. I just can't believe Blue line is getting new equipment, it's like the Cubs winning the World Series!!

I wish they were sent to the Orange or Brown Line instead of the Blue, which is most likely the first two lines to retire their #2600’s in exchange of the #7000’s while the Blue should wait until IDOT finishes rolling the ball…?

On 3/30/2022 at 7:16 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

my best guess would by june so we could see more appear by fall 2022

I was guessing in May we could start seeing more begin to get delivered with the base order delivery being completed by late 2024 into early 2025.