7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

• 1 month later...

so word has came to me that the 7000’s will be moved back to the blue line and will stay on the blue line until the rest of the cars come in (7011 and up)…..as of right now they’re still at harlem yard…..also the reason 7000’s have been coming back to the blue line ALOT is because they were testing them on the congress branch to make sure they can fit 

3 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

so word has came to me that the 7000’s will be moved back to the blue line and will stay on the blue line until the rest of the cars come in (7011 and up)…..as of right now they’re still at harlem yard…..also the reason 7000’s have been coming back to the blue line ALOT is because they were testing them on the congress branch to make sure they can fit 

That seems to debunk the story often repeated here that the Congress branch is too decrepit to run new cars. At least CTA will know one way or the other.

Are you implying that the next 300 cars are going to Blue? If so, I suppose that the 3200s would have to go back to Orange.

7 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That seems to debunk the story often repeated here that the Congress branch is too decrepit to run new cars. At least CTA will know one way or the other.

Are you implying that the next 300 cars are going to Blue? If so, I suppose that the 3200s would have to go back to Orange.

yes 300 something cars will go to blue line the 3200’s will go back to either orange or brown and brown will retire their 2600’s and then the next set of 7000’s are going to orange and brown blue will be the 1st line assigned 

4 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I'm not understanding.   What do you mean by "make sure they fit?"  If you mean the infrastructure can handle the cars without further significant damage  that's understandable. Apparently the weight of the cars isn't an issue.  Can you source this info?

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I'm not understanding.   What do you mean by "make sure they fit?"  If you mean the infrastructure can handle the cars without further significant damage  that's understandable. Apparently the weight of the cars isn't an issue.  Can you source this info?

remember the former member @chicagocubs6323? that’s where i got info from and yes i meant they kept coming back to see if the tracks and infrastructure can handle the 7000’s

7 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yes 300 something cars will go to blue line the 3200’s will go back to either orange or brown and brown will retire their 2600’s and then the next set of 7000’s are going to orange and brown blue will be the 1st line assigned 

If the blue loses all 2600s by receiving 7000s first wouldn't that retire 2600s then and there? The 3200s cover brown and orange by themselves

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

If the blue loses all 2600s by receiving 7000s first wouldn't that retire 2600s then and there? The 3200s cover brown and orange by themselves

They did when received around 1992, but there were the additional cars added to Midway yard when the Orange to Kimball and back runs were added. The Midway roster went up from approximately 110 to approximately 200. I'm not sure of the origin of the extra about 90 cars; maybe they were dispensable from the Howard Yard when CTA changed the order for 5631-5714 from airport express to standard. 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

technically your correct if all options picked up (most likely will) then bye bye goes the 3200’s

Not sure what you mean by "all options." The contract (both the first RFP and the second one resulting in the contract) was structured 400 cars to replace 2600s, 256 cars to replace 3200s (that was fairly obvious) and 190 cars for "expansion." The 656, by definition, take care of both series, unless there is some expansion in the interim (such as more trains as a result of the Red Purple Bypass). I also haven't seen a recent roster indicating that there are only about 400 active 2600s left, in which case the above assumption wouldn't hold, and CTA would have to exercise some of the expansion options.

_____________________-

On expansion of the fleet, there were 1206 cars, less wrecks, before the 5000s arrived; there will be 1370 if options up to 656 are exercised.

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

technically your correct if all options picked up (most likely will) then bye bye goes the 3200’s

Cant help but be skeptical, but there really must be something with 5000s on the congress branch they have never been there. Also the 7000s have been to blue how many times??? Well it would be nice for blue to get something new and with the blue ends, they are almost tailored to run there, but this throws a monkey wrench in what they said so far. So who gets the balance then brown and orange? Somehow I dont see RLE happening or rpm for that matter without new cars, but basically the cars are the same other than the longitudinal seats.

6 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

... Somehow I dont see RLE happening or rpm for that matter without new cars, but basically the cars are the same other than the longitudinal seats.

See above on expansion options. They can't be in the same consist, but can be on the same line, subject to shops constraints. Maybe RLE results in the Red Line getting the 90 cars, or an equivalent number get shifted from the Green and/or Pink lines. After all, the Red Line was able to shift some cars to 54th yard for the Blue Line trips.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Not sure what you mean by "all options." The contract (both the first RFP and the second one resulting in the contract) was structured 400 cars to replace 2600s, 256 cars to replace 3200s (that was fairly obvious) and 190 cars for "expansion."

7000-7400 is the “base order” and if CTA exercises the rest of the cars it would go up to 7000-7846

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

See above on expansion options. They can't be in the same consist, but can be on the same line, subject to shops constraints. Maybe RLE results in the Red Line getting the 90 cars, or an equivalent number get shifted from the Green and/or Pink lines. After all, the Red Line was able to shift some cars to 54th yard for the Blue Line trips.

Yeah but the 5000s running to forest pk is like forbidden so how do the 5000s run there is they are not allowed to. Unless 7000s are planned to only replace the 2600s and run with the 3200s. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Busjack said:

They did when received around 1992, but there were the additional cars added to Midway yard when the Orange to Kimball and back runs were added. The Midway roster went up from approximately 110 to approximately 200. I'm not sure of the origin of the extra about 90 cars; maybe they were dispensable from the Howard Yard when CTA changed the order for 5631-5714 from airport express to standard. 

Not sure what you mean by "all options." The contract (both the first RFP and the second one resulting in the contract) was structured 400 cars to replace 2600s, 256 cars to replace 3200s (that was fairly obvious) and 190 cars for "expansion." The 656, by definition, take care of both series, unless there is some expansion in the interim (such as more trains as a result of the Red Purple Bypass). I also haven't seen a recent roster indicating that there are only about 400 active 2600s left, in which case the above assumption wouldn't hold, and CTA would have to exercise some of the expansion options.

_____________________-

On expansion of the fleet, there were 1206 cars, less wrecks, before the 5000s arrived; there will be 1370 if options up to 656 are exercised.

I remember orange first got Brownages cars after Decrowding with 2400s. Then ex 2600s from Red came to Orange as 5000s knocked those off as well. Went back over some histories, before 5000s were permanently assigned we had 1190 now we're at 1492 so we're up 392 cars but every line had at least got an extra train or two added to help with crowds here and there so maybe 64 are used by that; maybe be we haven't discarded as many 2600s are we could have (the 5000s are enough to retire the first 200 2600s but we also have to consider the 8 extra red line peak trains the flyover claims to allow, and of course brown line might seen some increased service or purple but brown wouldn't need much seeing as cta says whatever extra browns should be added mid route as to not clog Albany park. I'll post the link for that report in a sec but I wanna make sure it leads to the right of place when I posted. Had issues when discussing this on FB

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

remember the former member @chicagocubs6323? that’s where i got info from and yes i meant they kept coming back to see if the tracks and infrastructure can handle the 7000’s

What happened to him?

12 hours ago, Busjack said:

Why didn't the Pink Line have enough cars to handle that themselves? It would've only been two 6- or 8-car consists

9 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What happened to him?

Why didn't the Pink Line have enough cars to handle that themselves? It would've only been two 6- or 8-car consists

They must need those extras as spares and taking them to do the blue line would take the pink too close to the spare limit.

22 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What happened to him?

Yeah and the spares only added up to an extra pink train or two anyway. Red line had the extra cars but 54th is the only place in the system that can supply extra blues  the easiest

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but the 5000s running to forest pk is like forbidden so how do the 5000s run there is they are not allowed to. Unless 7000s are planned to only replace the 2600s and run with the 3200s. 

That's why @Mr.NewFlyer1051said the 7000s were being tested there. I'm not going to prejudge the results.

By this logic, 5000s can't run on the Brown and Orange lines, either. IIRC, you said that 2600s can't run on the Brown Line, but they obviously do on Midway yard trips.

I think what may be happening is even though the FP branch still needs repair, the other issues that stopped newer cars from showing up on the blue line in any big numbers are dealt with enough to allow introduction (power, substations, signals). Maybe cta also plans on turning more trains with the new IMD middle so not as many trains show up over west. I think if assignments start as predicted, Blue, orange and Brown get 7000s to start knocking out the oldest cars. At some point once all the 3200 and 2600s get out the way and the rest of the 7000s get sent in, orange and brown sends it's 7000s to cover the red line and gets 5000s in return. So Howard goes back to 2 different sets, sends purple line 5400s along with green and pink 5000s to trade with brown for a lesser used fleet which ends up giving everything the red line used a bit of a reprieve. That's the only thing that makes sense as far as balancing milage and keeping the newest equipment on the heaviest lines, the mid range equipment on the somewhat busy lines and the old cars that can use a break on the lighter lines.

That is impossible to fully equip the red line, if they equip the blue with 7000s. There just are not enough cars. Red uses around 500 cars, throw in a fleet expansion and that will be upwards of 600 cars. Maybe they checkmated themselves from having an all 7000 red line due to the fact the 5000s can't run forest pk. Maybe once forest pk gets renewed that changes, but with an all new forest pk branch, its just as deserving of new cars as the RLE, but the majority will probably win out and that is the red line. So it could be another bait and switch in the pipeline. That seems to be cta's style especially at fg. Its happened twice with the novas. Just cause you got something new dont mean you're keeping something new!! Lol! 

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What happened to him?

54th yard has a lot of space to handle extra blue line cars pink line used to run 8 car trains i seen it a few times YEARS ago but then they switched to 4 car trains appearently the 5000’s were heavy to handle the congress branch but 7000’s came back like 3 times only for infrastructure testing on the congress branch and they passed the tests 5000’s can easily run from IMD middle to ohare with 0 problems but CTA chose to run them between racine and jefferson park (rush)

21 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

54th yard has a lot of space to handle extra blue line cars pink line used to run 8 car trains i seen it a few times YEARS ago but then they switched to 4 car trains appearently the 5000’s were heavy to handle the congress branch but 7000’s came back like 3 times only for infrastructure testing on the congress branch and they passed the tests 5000’s can easily run from IMD middle to ohare with 0 problems but CTA chose to run them between racine and jefferson park (rush)

54th yard had a stated capacity of 108, and something like 50 were assigned to the Pink Line, so there was room left. There also seems to be room at Linden yard, since CTA is no longer sending 2 cars from Howard and then coupling 4 more at Linden for express trains.

38 minutes ago, Busjack said:

54th yard had a stated capacity of 108, and something like 50 were assigned to the Pink Line, so there was room left. There also seems to be room at Linden yard, since CTA is no longer sending 2 cars from Howard and then coupling 4 more at Linden for express trains.

for some reason there’s always a 6 car purple line train in the easternmost yard at howard it’s visible if you take the yellow or purple out of howard northbound

27 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

for some reason there’s always a 6 car purple line train in the easternmost yard at howard it’s visible if you take the yellow or purple out of howard northbound

I don't even really know the purpose of Linden Yard anymore since it seems all Purple Line service, be it it shuttle or express, originates out of Howard Yard.

As for 54th Yard, that capacity was based on being part if the Blue,  but when that branch was converted to Pink Line service, only half of the available capacity was needed for Pink Lune service.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That is impossible to fully equip the red line, if they equip the blue with 7000s. There just are not enough cars. Red uses around 500 cars, throw in a fleet expansion and that will be upwards of 600 cars. Maybe they checkmated themselves from having an all 7000 red line due to the fact the 5000s can't run forest pk. Maybe once forest pk gets renewed that changes, but with an all new forest pk branch, its just as deserving of new cars as the RLE, but the majority will probably win out and that is the red line. So it could be another bait and switch in the pipeline. That seems to be cta's style especially at fg. Its happened twice with the novas. Just cause you got something new dont mean you're keeping something new!! Lol! 

Note. I said RED LINE not Howard. Red Line is using 384 and blue is using 406 so that's enough to equip those and the pink line fully. It's when you fully equip HOWARD itself that it takes 500 cars. Thats why I suggested leaving purple as all 5000s and trade them out to brown since what I suggested would only leave the 7000s for the blue and red. Purple still gets its own set of 5000s so that whole 100 can go to brown giving them lesser used 5000s. I basically gave red and blue the newest with 7000s, Orange and Brown through a series a trades as the busiest after blue and red would get ex-Pink purple and green 5000s while a mass shuffle pushes the ex red 5000s to those lines in exchange to give them a rest and run them to Skokie/West shops as needed