General/Random RTA

NewFlyerMCI

https://www.masstransitmag.com/technology/passenger-info/press-release/21208703/regional-transportation-authority-chicago-redesigned-rtams-site-provides-userfriendly-access-to-chicago-rtas-transit-data

The title immediately throws me off, cause I have a harder time loading previous months ridership data than I did before. Attempting to view any ridership month for 2020 other than September results in a page that doesn't load. And I certainly have to do more scrolling

• 2 months later...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-bedford-park-workforce-transit-20201229-7wu3ee6255cx5fon3djjmsrw3u-story.html

Wish this reduced Uber/Lyft fare was a thing when I was working, some nights fares were $35-$55 for a 25 minute drive. I hope more work is done in regards to commutes, many of my former co-workers at FedEx had ridiculous commutes. Lot of people from South Shore and the gardens, I knew one person coming from Hegewisch. Other folks who transfered from the 349, 352 and 359 (or otherwise came thru 95th/Dan Ryan), or the 8A. Not counting walking time, my commute should've only been about 70 mins, but that saturday scheduling really messed that up.

On 4/29/2021 at 7:13 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-bedford-park-workforce-transit-20201229-7wu3ee6255cx5fon3djjmsrw3u-story.html

Wish this reduced Uber/Lyft fare was a thing when I was working, some nights fares were $35-$55 for a 25 minute drive. I hope more work is done in regards to commutes, many of my former co-workers at FedEx had ridiculous commutes. Lot of people from South Shore and the gardens, I knew one person coming from Hegewisch. Other folks who transfered from the 349, 352 and 359 (or otherwise came thru 95th/Dan Ryan), or the 8A. Not counting walking time, my commute should've only been about 70 mins, but that saturday scheduling really messed that up.

I almost feel that these companies could provide subsidized vanpools which would be significantly cheaper than TNCs. 

2 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

I almost feel that these companies could provide subsidized vanpools which would be significantly cheaper than TNCs. 

At FedEx, it would almost certainly be better, as frequently shifting start times made existing options useless, such as the end of twilight shuttle to 79th/Cicero leaving early, or even worse, arriving 379 F trips being completely empty because they arrived after start of shift. There were only 2 instances I caught a 379 F trip last summer, that was infuriating.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

After almost 2 years, the RTA System Map has finally been updated to present time. Link is below if you want to check it out.

https://rtachicago.org/sites/default/files/documents/planyourtrip/RTA-System-Map.pdf

I see they have the CTA route changes, and also have the temporaily suspended services marked, but what other major route changes has Pace had in the last 2 years?

Edit: other than the 330 change, which is the only one I can think of

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The noteworthy thing i saw relates to money for purchasing new electric buses.  So I suppose this current Nova order may be CTA'S last diesel bus order unless it opts to purchase one last diesel order of artics.  But I question that now that New Flyer and Nova are offering electric artics .  So far, Proterra hasn't entered that market.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/city/sites/central-area-plan/pdfs/DPD_CentralAreaPlan_ConditionsTrendReport_120523-web.pdf
This city downtown planning document goes through the status of various cta/metra/rta projects around the region, most notable I think is study on a new station at Division/Orleans for the Brown/Purple line. (Page 122)

5 minutes ago, dailycommuter62 said:

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/city/sites/central-area-plan/pdfs/DPD_CentralAreaPlan_ConditionsTrendReport_120523-web.pdf
This city downtown planning document goes through the status of various cta/metra/rta projects around the region, most notable I think is study on a new station at Division/Orleans for the Brown/Purple line. (Page 122)

a brown line  station at division is a bit redundant considering the red line division stop is 2 blocks away and closer to where all the riders are. The area around the Brown Line isnt as dense with potential riders imo. I can't see the shopping strip over there being a major generator seeing as whatever is over there has a location closer to where any hypothetical riders for that station/purpose would originate. Target has a river north location along with jewel and it's walking distance for everyone else near. The elderly along the gold coast would opt for the 70 instead most likely

5 hours ago, Sam92 said:

a brown line  station at division is a bit redundant considering the red line division stop is 2 blocks away and closer to where all the riders are. The area around the Brown Line isnt as dense with potential riders imo. I can't see the shopping strip over there being a major generator seeing as whatever is over there has a location closer to where any hypothetical riders for that station/purpose would originate. Target has a river north location along with jewel and it's walking distance for everyone else near. The elderly along the gold coast would opt for the 70 instead most likely

If you're on the Brown Line, a Red Line station at Clark/Division doesn't do you any good.  And why should someone who started their trip on the Brown, transfer & take even longer to get to where they want to go?

10 hours ago, dailycommuter62 said:

I wonder what the intended purpose would be?  Who's the targeted ridership?  Is this designed to be an infill station? Are riders transferring from the 70 to the Red Line?  Does the Brown Line offer an alternative to the Red and/or the parallel 37?  Is the city expecting a population growth spurt in the area or are they developing the area based on transit?

CHA still has a lot of vacant land that they want to redevelop. There's also the Old Town Park redevelopment which is complete and the North Union development, although that one is fairly close to Chicago/Franklin station as well.

These are all the same ideas that were in the 2001 Central Area Plan and I wouldn't expect a Division/Orleans station to be built without funding from TIF or some other localized source.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 6:33 PM, artthouwill said:

I wonder what the intended purpose would be?  Who's the targeted ridership?  Is this designed to be an infill station? Are riders transferring from the 70 to the Red Line?  Does the Brown Line offer an alternative to the Red and/or the parallel 37?  Is the city expecting a population growth spurt in the area or are they developing the area based on transit?

As a former student graduate at Payton (c/o 2004, represent)...this would've saved me about 60% my [180 career] tardies.