And the next garage to get New Flyers is...

rmadisonwi

This morning after completing my Route #855 run from Bolingbrook, I was heading back to Colonial on the Kennedy Exp. I spotted New Flyers #1944 and #1950 heading inbound at Montrose av.
  • Congratulations on being able to drive the big stuff!
  • Playing the game previously played here, since they were sighted at Montrose, they aren't going directly to NP or Forest Glen (unlike a sighting at Dempster being inconclusive in that regard).

Since reports here are that 4400s are gone, and 5300s and 5800s virtually so, all that's left to replace are 6000s. Also, it doesn't appear that there are any more high floors to replace at 77 and 103. So, are we looking at more shifts with the last 90 1000s and the remaining 160 4000s? Certainly, enough are being delivered to at least get rid of the oldest 6000s at K and C.

• Playing the game previously played here, since they were sighted at Montrose, they aren't going directly to NP or Forest Glen (unlike a sighting at Dempster being inconclusive in that regard).

Since reports here are that 4400s are gone, and 5300s and 5800s virtually so, all that's left to replace are 6000s. Also, it doesn't appear that there are any more high floors to replace at 77 and 103. So, are we looking at more shifts with the last 90 1000s and the remaining 160 4000s? Certainly, enough are being delivered to at least get rid of the oldest 6000s at K and C.

Thanks, It was my first time operating the #855, I have to admit I was a bit nervous. One thing you dont want to do is make the wrong turn or miss a passenger. For equipment they assigned me an MCI 102C3, Bus #847. I have to admit it wasant too bad considering the weather conditions this morning. The passengers were more than helpful whenever I needed it. By the time we arrived downtown about 8:30am, the passengers were talkative and appreciative to the fact we made it to downtown on time.

I think the Flx 6000s will be retired a lot sooner than has been reported. The New Flyers standards and artics seem to be coming in rapidly. CTA must be speeding up the retirements with TMCs gone, the Flx 5300s, NF 5800s soon after. Too bad for the 6000s, they are the next target.

That sounds reasonable, especially considering that BRT service will be supplementing local service and not replacing it as was previously thought. That suggests that K and C will still need 40 footers for the 8 and 66 local runs respectively.

That sounds reasonable, especially considering that BRT service will be supplementing local service and not replacing it as was previously thought. That suggests that K and C will still need 40 footers for the 8 and 66 local runs respectively.

It's just a matter of how extra buses will be stored in a garage that's maxed out for space. I couldn't help but notice after one of our overnight storms that the Kedzie #6000's had about a foot of snow on there roofs as if they were stored outside at Kedzie during the night. During last month's Connections episode, there is also a scene outside of Kedzie where they show the new #4000 bus. It seems to be mid day and there is NABI's parked around it like they may be stored outside also. If they are so maxed out for space, how will the BRT's fit in such a small place, especially if we expand to 100 miles BRT?

I was more commenting on what is left for the approximately 90 40DLFs and 110 leased 60DELFs in the process of delivery to replace. By my math, that's about 235 6000s (assuming that the 110 60DELFs would replace 145 40 foot buses, if the 3 for 4 is still valid, which I question). I can ruminate in my mind where the 90 and 110 buses will go, but since my (very approximate) math indicates that all there are to replace are 299 6000s reported by BusHunter, and I am knocking 235 off the roster, that gets us to BusHunter's point:

It's just a matter of how extra buses will be stored in a garage that's maxed out for space. I couldn't help but notice after one of our overnight storms that the Kedzie #6000's had about a foot of snow on there roofs as if they were stored outside at Kedzie during the night. During last month's Connections episode, there is also a scene outside of Kedzie where they show the new #4000 bus. It seems to be mid day and there is NABI's parked around it like they may be stored outside also. If they are so maxed out for space, how will the BRT's fit in such a small place, especially if we expand to 100 miles BRT?
It sort of makes you wonder about the wisdom of moving 145 and 148 from NP to K.

To summarize my original point, though, further deliveries to 77 and 103 aren't justified by the "replace high floors" rationale any more, so if any occur, it is to shift low floor equipment elsewhere.

I was more commenting on what is left for the approximately 90 40DLFs and 110 leased 60DELFs in the process of delivery to replace. By my math, that's about 235 6000s (assuming that the 110 60DELFs would replace 145 40 foot buses, if the 3 for 4 is still valid, which I question). I can ruminate in my mind where the 90 and 110 buses will go, but since my (very approximate) math indicates that all there are to replace are 299 6000s reported by BusHunter, and I am knocking 235 off the roster, that gets us to BusHunter's point:

It sort of makes you wonder about the wisdom of moving 145 and 148 from NP to K.

To summarize my original point, though, further deliveries to 77 and 103 aren't justified by the "replace high floors" rationale any more, so if any occur, it is to shift low floor equipment elsewhere.

I got what you were originally commenting on about 6000s getting replaced through future low floor shifts. I was just commenting on how K and C will still need buses in place of their 6000s if they do meet the scrapper first for the 6000 series phase of bus retirements and with local 8 and 66 service still getting provided along with BRT as the CTA now suggests.

A few other things to throw in. If 58 buses would be needed for 30 miles of BRT, then three times that would be needed for 100 miles. ( or about 174 total BRT artics) Also depending on if the actual BRT service gets started before the 58 so called "mystery buses" arrives, the 58 could actually wind up replacing what would be left for #6000's which would be in the 70's when #1000's are done along with up to #4149.

But we [driver at Chicago] also have 1309 to 1319 now so... Only time will tell.
Sort of looking bad for those who thought 1900s were going to Chicago. I guess we'll know for sure in two months.

Considering that those around 1309-1319 started at 77, went to Blue Line-O"Hare fill ins, then to 74th, and back to 77, all bets are off. :lol:

Hey Kevin or rmadison, I got a question or 2 for you....how are the remaining 1000 going to br doled out now that buses are into 1950's with 103rd still getting evens recentlly 1954 and 77th getting odds seeing 1955? Thats about around 65 buses left before 2029 is in service....And now that 77th are getting 4000 evens from 103rd will 103rd get newer evens as NP steadily get 4000 odds? Thanks

#1959 was on the #X4 for the evening rush yesterday and #4057 was out for the morning rush on the #147.

#1961 was on the #X4 yesterday. BTW, I wonder why the 77th buses are so dirty. Some of the buses are so black with dirt a person could get an eye strain trying to see the bus number. :lol: In fact #1959 which came out on the 14th is so dirty you can't really see the number unless your on top of it. 77th is an indoor facility. I can understand that maybe at an outdoor facility. Some things just boggle the mind. :huh:

#1961 was on the #X4 yesterday. BTW, I wonder why the 77th buses are so dirty. Some of the buses are so black with dirt a person could get an eye strain trying to see the bus number. :lol: In fact #1959 which came out on the 14th is so dirty you can't really see the number unless your on top of it. 77th is an indoor facility. I can understand that maybe at an outdoor facility. Some things just boggle the mind. :huh:
If it was driving 8 hours in the slush, it isn't surprising. We're not talking about a summer run along the lake.

If it was driving 8 hours in the slush, it isn't surprising. We're not talking about a summer run along the lake.

Seems more like 2 or 3 days without a wash. Maybe more. It's weird to see on a new bus. The dirty 77th st. buses just seem to stand out versus the other garages. I mean you have them and there's Kedzie which has buses so clean they look like they just rolled off the assembly line.

Seems more like 2 or 3 days without a wash. Maybe more. It's weird to see on a new bus. The dirty 77th st. buses just seem to stand out versus the other garages. I mean you have them and there's Kedzie which has buses so clean they look like they just rolled off the assembly line.

Well Kedzie hasn't been so clean the last few days either. They may come out clean in the early morning when I go to work. However, later in the day when I'm going home, they're pretty dirty too. Busjack has a point. With all the snow out, either freshly fallen or melting into puddles that the buses can splash through, it's fairly easy for a bus to get filthy after rolling up and down the street after a few hours time.

Well Kedzie hasn't been so clean the last few days either. They may come out clean in the early morning when I go to work. However, later in the day when I'm going home, they're pretty dirty too. Busjack has a point. With all the snow out, either freshly fallen or melting into puddles that the buses can splash through, it's fairly easy for a bus to get filthy after rolling up and down the street after a few hours time.

Regardless, the 77th buses have now been washed. They looked much better yesterday. Maybe the buswash was celebrating MLK day!! :lol:

I beg your indulgence for asking this question here.

Do you folks think it was wise to change the specs on the NF low floors to a different type of steel frame

[purpose being to allow use of a lower power economical engine]?

Given our winters plus the CTA's recent practice of keeping buses much more than 12 years I wonder if it was a good idea.

Gene King