Bustracker's buses

BusExpert32

Some of the buses serving the 44 must not be showing up on the Tracker because there are big 20-30 block gaps showing with 2-3 buses showing up at least 5 blocks apart which is usually normal at this time of day on a weekday. Also 1731 was reported in service on this route 2 hours ago, and it doesn't show up on the Tracker unless it's already pulled in for the day.

I believe the newer incoming New Flyers will receive Bus Tracker later in the year, rather than right at the plant where they are assembled, seeing how I rode 1673 quite some time ago, and it had the formal "format" in the Clever Devices box, without the antenna with the 'X' on it, meaning it hadn't had the Tracker yet, and that was when it was pretty fresh back at the time I rode it.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe the newer incoming New Flyers will receive Bus Tracker later in the year, rather than right at the plant where they are assembled, seeing how I rode 1673 quite some time ago, and it had the formal "format" in the Clever Devices box, without the antenna with the 'X' on it, meaning it hadn't had the Tracker yet, and that was when it was pretty fresh back at the time I rode it.

They don't want ot make that too much later in the year, with the garages that are already live to the public given the push to make riding the bus easier and more convenient.

Nova swaps occured over the weekend, so any sightings last week and before may not be valid.

Well, I did see 6871 on Wednesday operating #85 Central. I have a photo on my website for proof.

Actually a lot can happen in 5 days Tim. It is possible some higher numbered FG Novas were included in the swap. Anything is possible given Bustracker is revealing swaps between 77th, FG and Archer simultaneously.

Yeah, that's true.

Well, I did see 6871 on Wednesday operating #85 Central. I have a photo on my website for proof.

Yeah, that's true.

But the swaps occured over the weekend (June 21-22), so a sighting on Wednesday, June 18 may not be valid as of today. We have yet to see #6871 and other higher 6800s since the weekend swaps, so maybe they are at 77th.

Today BusTracker is revealing even lower numbered Nova's for Archer. #6451 on #49 and #6453 on #94. Also yesterday #6513 was on the #2 and #6872 was on the #X3. It appears to be an even swap of Nova's between garages. Why? I don't know, but I do remember seeing about a month or two ago they were soliciting bids for 284 powertrains for the #6400 fleet. Maybe that's what this is all about. Swap buses to get them to 77th next to south shops to do the heavy work that could only be done there.

I do remember seeing about a month or two ago they were soliciting bids for 284 powertrains for the #6400 fleet. Maybe that's what this is all about. Swap buses to get them to 77th next to south shops to do the heavy work that could only be done there.
The Novas are next up for the mid life rehab. However, you would think that the lower number ones would be first, since at least the about 6470s to about 6560 are a year and a half older than the Option 2 (6709 and up) buses.

Today BusTracker is revealing even lower numbered Nova's for Archer. #6451 on #49 and #6453 on #94. Also yesterday #6513 was on the #2 and #6872 was on the #X3. It appears to be an even swap of Nova's between garages. Why? I don't know, but I do remember seeing about a month or two ago they were soliciting bids for 284 powertrains for the #6400 fleet. Maybe that's what this is all about. Swap buses to get them to 77th next to south shops to do the heavy work that could only be done there.

One question, where'd you see this 6872 on #X3 at? #X3 isn't on Bustracker just yet. And the Novas are recieving their mid life rehabs or something else? Also, I will check out Bustracker to see what's happening.

However, you would think that the lower number ones would be first, since at least the about 6470s to about 6560 are a year and a half older than the Option 2 (6709 and up) buses.

Yes, that is true.

There are a bunch of 6400 Novas operating out of FG. I spotted 6478 at Jeff Pk about a half hour ago, I tracked it is operating on 56 Milwaukee. According to BusTracker, 6482 is on the 84, #6472, 6475, 6476 are operating 80 Irving Pk.

One question, where'd you see this 6872 on #X3 at? #X3 isn't on Bustracker just yet. And the Novas are recieving their mid life rehabs or something else? Also, I will check out Bustracker to see what's happening.

Yes, that is true.

#6872 was a physical sighting, not a cyber one. BTW, I've been looking for #1731 on the Tracker. You know yesterday it wouldn't have appeared on the tracker if it had no destination sign because it had not logged on to the system. By what Kendo26 said and also what his picture shows it had no destination sign. It would be interesting to see a post #1731 bus logged on a route to see if it does appear on the tracker. If New Flyer can install Cleverdevices equipment at the factory why couldn't Bustracker have been installed at the factory too.

Yep, I caught 6460 with my "computer" just before it disappeared off the Tracker this morning.

Seeing nflyer's image, I wondered how he got it, and read on the CTABustracker site about getting a "street view." This requires clicking on a bus (not a bus stop) in the Bus Location map, and then selecting "Route Progress." This graph, in effect, gives you the filtering that Buslover requested.

However, you probably have to click on the route somewhere away from Midway or Jefferson Park to filter a particular route. The icons are really stacked up there. Also, you have to click on a bus going in the direction of interest (the graph is not bidirectional).

#6872 was a physical sighting, not a cyber one. BTW, I've been looking for #1731 on the Tracker. You know yesterday it wouldn't have appeared on the tracker if it had no destination sign because it had not logged on to the system. By what Kendo26 said and also what his picture shows it had no destination sign. It would be interesting to see a post #1731 bus logged on a route to see if it does appear on the tracker. If New Flyer can install Cleverdevices equipment at the factory why couldn't Bustracker have been installed at the factory too.

You know, I had completely forgotten that he said the destination sign displayed 'MY KIND OF TOWN....' duh :P

Seeing nflyer's image, I wondered how he got it, and read on the CTABustracker site about getting a "street view." This requires clicking on a bus (not a bus stop) in the Bus Location map, and then selecting "Route Progress." This graph, in effect, gives you the filtering that Buslover requested.

However, you probably have to click on the route somewhere away from Midway or Jefferson Park to filter a particular route. The icons are really stacked up there. Also, you have to click on a bus going in the direction of interest (the graph is not bidirectional).

I got it with the "Print Screen" function on the computer (how the computer takes a snapshot of what's on the screen at the moment u pressed the keys on the keyboard.) :P:lol:

Midway isn't as bad as I had thought...looking at things at Jefferson Park! :D

There are a bunch of 6400 Novas operating out of FG. I spotted 6478 at Jeff Pk about a half hour ago, I tracked it is operating on 56 Milwaukee. According to BusTracker, 6482 is on the 84, #6472, 6475, 6476 are operating 80 Irving Pk.

Saw a couple of 6400's on the Harlem bus and on Narragansett this afternoon...which would verify the switch of 6400's to FG.

But the swaps occured over the weekend (June 21-22), so a sighting on Wednesday, June 18 may not be valid as of today. We have yet to see #6871 and other higher 6800s since the weekend swaps, so maybe they are at 77th.

You are right buddy, #6871 was on rt 4- Cottage Grove yesterday Ive spotted it while I was riding my TMC #4659 on 51st (Route 15 Jeffery Local).

Does anyone know what the arrangements are for installing Bustracker? Just wondering whether it's done by garage crews, CTA employees especially trained for the task, or an outside contractor.

Considering that none of 74th Street's 1700s have yet appeared on-line, I'm assuming that it's NOT done by garage maintenance. My guess is that installation is scheduled for a number of buses at one time, not day by day. So sooner or later, a number of 1700s will probably make their Bustracker debut at once.

Also, it seems as if some buses at the two most recent garages to go on-line, 74th and FG, may have been missed for whatever reason (in revenue service whenever the installers were working, or maybe at South Shops, for instance). I've sometimes noticed unusual gaps between the icons on the map along lightly-used routes (like 51st) or fast routes (like Peterson) where bunching generally wouldn't be a problem.

6662 a.k.a 2367 is on #62 right now :lol:.

2367???

Yep. Bustracker shows 6662 as 2367 all the time according to others here.

Most of us have seen this glitch, even me, but looks like they fixed it, 6662 shows exactly how it is showing right now on the #60 Blue Island/26th.

post-270-1214572288_thumb.jpg

Looking at the Bustracker website at this minute, a question came into my mind, where is routes #64 and #69? Aren't they FG bus routes?
Another question of the sequence of cause and effect.

While the buses in a garage have to have the equipment for the routes to show up (hence the complaints about big gaps now on the display of some 74th routes), the release to the public is by route, not by garage.

For that matter, Archer isn't completely on line...the U of C routes aren't there. Also not there are the part time 74th routes.

There is also the possibility that 64 and 69 are interlined with something else. See if there is an off route 90N or the like. Or maybe CTA hadn't figured out how to make the flying route number change yet.....Just possibilities.