Bustracker's buses

BusExpert32

While the buses in a garage have to have the equipment for the routes to show up (hence the complaints about big gaps now on the display of some 74th routes), the release to the public is by route, not by garage.

For that matter, Archer isn't completely on line...the U of C routes aren't there. Also not there are the part time 74th routes.

There is also the possibility that 64 and 69 are interlined with something else. See if there is an off route 90N or the like. Or maybe CTA hadn't figured out how to make the flying route number change yet.....Just possibilities.

Maybe that there's so little bus bunching (if any at all on those routes) on #64 and #69, the CTA decided not to put the routes up.

As for the U of C and the part time 74th routes, they might be added in the July (or another month's) update.

EDIT: Looking at routes #56 Milwaukee and #20 Madison, buses seem to be running every 8 to 10 blocks of each other (which is good, isn't it?). Also, looking at things on #85 Central, service on that route is horrible.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, looking at things on #85 Central, service on that route [is] horrible.
At the moment, the reading in both directions is buses at the end of the route, and noting in the middle. Again one has to wonder if that is the real condition, or that some buses are not reporting. The schedule says every 12 minutes at this time of day, but at Addison, for instance, the northbound intervals are 17 and 28 minutes, and at Montrose 20 minutes (the last northbound bus now is at Lawrence). One wonders if there is a bus missing, either on the display (probably) or in actuality.

UPDATE: The display now says that the next bus at Montrose is 3 minutes. But then it went up to 16. Hard to tell what is happening.

Again one has to wonder if that is the real condition, or that some buses are not reporting. The schedule says every 12 minutes at this time of day, but at Addison, for instance, the northbound intervals are 17 and 28 minutes, and at Montrose 20 minutes (the last northbound bus now is at Lawrence). One wonders if there is a bus missing, either on the display (probably) or in actuality.

UPDATE: The display now says that the next bus at Montrose is 3 minutes. But then it went up to 16. Hard to tell what is happening.

Hmmm ... yes, I think you're right, there might be some buses missing, because I don't think service could be that bad. Its either FG isn't providing good service [at all] today or Bustracker is simply starting to fall apart because of so many routes up there and the filter not being up yet.

Does anyone know what the arrangements are for installing Bustracker? Just wondering whether it's done by garage crews, CTA employees especially trained for the task, or an outside contractor.

Considering that none of 74th Street's 1700s have yet appeared on-line, I'm assuming that it's NOT done by garage maintenance. My guess is that installation is scheduled for a number of buses at one time, not day by day. So sooner or later, a number of 1700s will probably make their Bustracker debut at once.

Also, it seems as if some buses at the two most recent garages to go on-line, 74th and FG, may have been missed for whatever reason (in revenue service whenever the installers were working, or maybe at South Shops, for instance). I've sometimes noticed unusual gaps between the icons on the map along lightly-used routes (like 51st) or fast routes (like Peterson) where bunching generally wouldn't be a problem.

Your right, not all of the buses running are on the Tracker. 74th seems ok besides the #1700's, but i'm noticing alot of FG buses not on the tracker that are running. Alot of Addison was missing yesterday. #6088, #6168 and #6133, #6149, #6142 the other day. Also the #92 had two buses running. I know that's not right, it should be more around 5 - 9. #6168 was a hot bus yesterday. I wonder if it's possible that the equipment might be malfuctioning due to conditions being too hot on the buses. Wouldn't the computers seize up. It's got to be hotter inside those little boxes. How can a cooling fan help your computer if it's in a box. Also the boxes on #6000's are low under seats where they can't ventilate. There's more air moving around in the top part of the bus. I haven't caught a #6400 missing so far. They are typically cooler than the older #6000's. This would explain why #56 looks so good, (running with #6400's) because it's working 100 percent.

There is also the possibility that 64 and 69 are interlined with something else. See if there is an off route 90N or the like. Or maybe CTA hadn't figured out how to make the flying route number change yet.....Just possibilities.

The #64 does interline with the #90N. But only in the mid day period. In the rush hour the #64 breaks off to become it's own route, and the 90N picks up a second bus.

I wonder if it's possible that the equipment might be malfuctioning due to conditions being too hot on the buses. Wouldn't the computers seize up. It's got to be hotter inside those little boxes. How can a cooling fan help your computer if it's in a box. Also the boxes on #6000's are low under seats where they can't ventilate. There's more air moving around in the top part of the bus.

I think the equipment's malfunctioning too because its so hot outside. But if that is true, why do they have the boxes on the bottom of the bus? Maybe they should be put on top so more 6000s can show up on the Bustracker.

i'm noticing alot of FG buses not on the tracker that are running. Alot of Addison [buses] were missing yesterday. #6088, #6168 and #6133, #6149, #6142 the other day. Also the #92 had two buses running. I know that's not right, it should be more around 5-9. #6168 was a hot bus yesterday.

I'm noticing that as well about the FG buses too. I mean look at #85 Central, there's only four or five buses on the Bustracker when it should be around ten to possibly thirteen right now.

I can't believe there were so many Addison buses missing from the Bustracker yesterday. That's not good at all. And a question, how long was #6168 out yesterday (if you know)?

As for #92 Foster, there were only two buses on the Bustracker from that route?? This is getting really out of hand with the 6000s' boxes malfunctioning. Maybe they should take FG's 6000s out of service until they can fix this problem.

The #64 does interline with the #90N. But only in the mid day period. In the rush hour the #64 breaks off to become it's own route, and the 90N picks up a second bus.

My question is, do the #64s show up on Bustracker at all?

I think the equipment's malfunctioning too because its so hot outside. But if that is true, why do they have the boxes on the bottom of the bus? Maybe they should be put on top so more 6000s can show up on the Bustracker.

I'm noticing that as well about the FG buses too. I mean look at #85 Central, there's only four or five buses on the Bustracker when it should be around ten to possibly thirteen right now.

I can't believe there were so many Addison buses missing from the Bustracker yesterday. That's not good at all. And a question, how long was #6168 out yesterday (if you know)?

As for #92 Foster, there were only two buses on the Bustracker from that route?? This is getting really out of hand with the 6000s' boxes malfunctioning. Maybe they should take FG's 6000s out of service until they can fix this problem.

My question is, do the #64s show up on Bustracker at all?

Well considering all this and how CTA dosent like to spend their money, you know the old saying, You get what you pay for!. I think the bustracker system is a good idea, but you have to make a good investment of funds if you really want this system to work. Clearly this is not what were seeing here.

Well considering all this and how CTA dosent like to spend their money, you know the old saying, You get what you pay for! I think the bustracker system is a good idea, but you have to make a good investment of funds if you really want this system to work. Clearly this is not what were seeing here.

I agree with you 100%.

Well considering all this and how CTA dosent like to spend their money, you know the old saying, You get what you pay for!. I think the bustracker system is a good idea, but you have to make a good investment of funds if you really want this system to work. Clearly this is not what were seeing here.
I agree with you 100%.

We know that CTA spent $24 million, according to the Press Release. Thus, do any of you know what equipment should have been purchased instead, and what it would have cost? A competitive bid from Siemens, perhaps (although the Pace system also has gitches)?

BTW, I see that the Press Release goes back to Frank's days, and says North Park would be first. Well, times change (especially since we predicted that North Park would be close to last). :lol:

So does the BusTracker Equipment have anything to do with the automated announcements and signs inside the bus? I assume they could be connected somewhat since they both use gps.

Off topic, but they should get another sign for stop requested. I remember seeing this a few times: one person requests a stop and then two or three people would pull the string and then yank it hard again until they saw STOP REQUESTED on the sign :lol:

Being from out of town I found BusTracker very convenient for finding which routes had Flxibles :)

So does the BusTracker Equipment have anything to do with the automated announcements and signs inside the bus? I assume they could be connected somewhat since they both use gps.

No, not really, in my opinion.

they should get another sign for stop requested. I remember seeing this a few times: one person requests a stop and then two or three people would pull the string and then yank it hard again until they saw STOP REQUESTED on the sign

Well, when the bell rings, people should just know that's the bell, but of course, most don't pay attention.

They're all powered by Clever Devices. A central on-board computer controls the destination signs, audio and visual announcements, passenger counting systems, and Bus Tracker. If this system goes down, nothing works (although it is sometimes possible to manually override the destination sign).

Off topic, but they should get another sign for stop requested. I remember seeing this a few times: one person requests a stop and then two or three people would pull the string and then yank it hard again until they saw STOP REQUESTED on the sign :lol:

Being from out of town I found BusTracker very convenient for finding which routes had Flxibles :)

The one difference in the CTA implementation is that CTA installed the devices piecemeal. The first gps device installed, which is the emergency communication back to the control center, was Orbital, not Clever Devices. Clever Devices does power the front sign and announcements, the passenger counter, and Bus Tracker, but the three were installed separately. Also, as noted in the Press Release cited in my last post, you also need the Sprint/Nextel link to get real time communications, and the IBM software to get the display.

On the other hand, Pace installed all the components as part of a Siemens system at one time.

Also, at least at one time the CTA front displays did say "STOP REQUESTED" when someone pulled the cord.

The one difference in the CTA implementation is that CTA installed the devices piecemeal. The first gps device installed, which is the emergency communication back to the control center, was Orbital, not Clever Devices. Clever Devices does power the front sign and announcements, the passenger counter, and Bus Tracker, but the three were installed separately. Also, as noted in the Press Release cited in my last post, you also need the Sprint/Nextel link to get real time communications, and the IBM software to get the display.

On the other hand, Pace installed all the components as part of a Siemens system at one time.

Also, at least at one time the CTA front displays did say "STOP REQUESTED" when someone pulled the cord.

The front displays still do say 'STOP REQUESTED' when you pull the cord. The thing is there is a delay from the display scrolling through the date and the name of the stop (and sometimes run number) before you see it displayed.

The front displays still do say 'STOP REQUESTED' when you pull the cord. The thing is there is a delay from the display scrolling through the date and the name of the stop (and sometimes run number) before you see it displayed.
Thanks.

My point in the prior post was that with such disparate equipment, one just can't say that if the CD goes down, so do the associated applications. That is true, but BusTracker can go down also because the cell phone link did (I've seen a bus disappear during a storm) or the server did (I've seen instances where there were no buses on BusTracker).

Similarly, with the destination signs, they may be wrong or inoperative because:

1. The CD isn't working
  2. The CD is misprogrammed
  3. The sign itself is misprogrammed
  4. There are electronic or mechanical problems with the sign or sign controller

Yep, They usually show the buses run number displayed every 15 minutes from where they first signed on into the Clever Device boxes.

Thanks.

My point in the prior post was that with such disparate equipment, one just can't say that if the CD goes down, so do the associated applications. That is true, but BusTracker can go down also because the cell phone link did (I've seen a bus disappear during a storm) or the server did (I've seen instances where there were no buses on BusTracker).

Similarly, with the destination signs, they may be wrong or inoperative because:

1. The CD isn't working
  2. The CD is misprogrammed
  3. The sign itself is misprogrammed
  4. There are electronic or mechanical problems with the sign or sign controller

Like I stated before of everything else with incompetent CTA management, You get what you pay for! It always this way with everything at CTA, it usually works for a few days or a few weeks then it just goes down and it stays that way and no one gives a rats, then the "Pass the Buck" attitude begins. Sorry if Im ranting but this is what Ive seen from my experience. :)

We know that CTA spent $24 million, according to the Press Release. Thus, do any of you know what equipment should have been purchased instead, and what it would have cost? A competitive bid from Siemens, perhaps (although the Pace system also has gitches)?

BTW, I see that the Press Release goes back to Frank's days, and says North Park would be first. Well, times change (especially since we predicted that North Park would be close to last). :lol:

I think that Pace does a slightly better job of equipment maintenance than CTA.

I think that Pace does a slightly better job of equipment maintenance than CTA.
That might be more responsive to this post of mine than the one you quoted.

However, I have seen misprogrammed and broken signs, and WebWatch errors on Pace buses too. Pace still hasn't gotten the inaccuracies out of its WebWatch maps, which is probably why there is no longer a direct link to them.

However, CTA can be accused of a brain cramp if it did put the 1730s on the street without installing the equipment first, as some people here seem to suggest.

That might be more responsive to this post of mine than the one you quoted.

However, I have seen misprogrammed and broken signs, and WebWatch errors on Pace buses too. Pace still hasn't gotten the inaccuracies out of its WebWatch maps, which is probably why there is no longer a direct link to them.

However, CTA can be accused of a brain cramp if it did put the 1730s on the street without installing the equipment first, as some people here seem to suggest.

Heres a funny thought, Last night I was out running and I run past FG all the time. Everytime at least at FG, when they have four or five buses on the side with some equipment contractor doing some kind of work, you know theyre doing something to the bus. In the case of last night I spotted two Flxible and three Novas on the sideline getting work done. The last time I saw this was when the stop annunciator system was being put in place a few years back. My suspicion is that these buses are getting their BusTracker software installed, that probably explains why not too may buses from FG are popping up on BusTracker. I spotted at least five buses that were getting worked on. Now if CTA is telling everyone that "These Routes will be online June 23rd" Why arent they having this work done before they make this announcement??.

While the equipment is installed, there's a Clever Devices software issue on these buses.

My girlfriend and I used the tracker to get to dinner last night. It was early in the evening, at a time when buses haven't always sorted themselves out after rush hour, and a month ago, we probably would have worried about the possibility of a long delay, and just driven. A quick look at the tracker showed no problems, and we were out the door. Very nice.