Bus Rapid Transit System

jajuan

The CTATattler had a similar story this morning.

trainman: I wouldn't get my hopes up that fast. Undoubtedly, it has been archived, and can go up in a minute's notice once the political winds change. Which they will. Not even the Tribune Editorial Board can predict what's happening next, between Durbin, Blago, Madigan, Burris, etc.

The CTATattler had a similar story this morning.

trainman: I wouldn't get my hopes up that fast. Undoubtedly, it has been archived, and can go up in a minute's notice once the political winds change. Which they will. Not even the Tribune Editorial Board can predict what's happening next, between Durbin, Blago, Madigan, Burris, etc.

I wont get my hopes up. I just think it is a bad idea to create something for

such a small area, where it wouldn't benefit a large number of people and

feel that money should be used to improve current problems. CTA can't run

what it has and to expand on it can't help. It, in theory, though be along

Obama's plan, in that, theoritically, it would create jobs (not that CTA would

hire anybody to run the specialized service...and probably would look for

ways to screw labor).

I'm off my soapbox.

I just think it is a bad idea to create something for such a small area, where it wouldn't benefit a large number of people and feel that money should be used to improve current problems. CTA can't run what it has and to expand on it can't help.
The history of this project (at least as indicated in various blogs) has been that the federal government is engaged in a contest to "mitigate congestion" :lol: by rewarding those municipalities that impose the most onerous terms on automobile drivers, and BRT is only a carrot. Since the New York legislature didn't pass congestion pricing, Chicago's plan got eligible for a part of that money, but it seems like the deadline for increasing parking fees and taxes was a more crucial part than getting BRT off the ground. Therefore, it wasn't a BRT grant per se, as the government could have given the money without conditioning it on da Mare's strings.

it will be interesting to see if Pace gets the first BRT in the region as their work is still proceeding
Also if it will be more elaborate than just the TSP on Cermak? For instance, ElDorado advertises an EZ Rider II BRT. I guess anyone can put a sloped front on a bus and call it BRT. (Yankee Doodle?)

There is also the mandated I-55 project, but that involves such things as running on the shoulder, but not a change in equipment (Pace has again advertised Route 855 for bids).

• 2 weeks later...

I noted in the ABC7 story CTA seeks federal transit funding mentioned on the front page:

CTA officials are hopeful of getting a big chunk of money likely to be included in President Obama's economic stimulus plan.

On Wednesday night, brown (sic) told ABC7's Paul Meincke that the administration is looking for quick projects that can be spent within 90 days.

Brown said those projects include purchasing 58 new buses, updating rails, new signal work, and station improvements.

Double accounting, or did the CTA (according to New Flyer) buy 58 buses for which it didn't have money? Or is this a way to get the supposedly lapsed BRT money up front?

Also, the first mention from a CTA source about the 58 buses.

Curiouser and curiouser....

I noted in the ABC7 story CTA seeks federal transit funding mentioned on the front page:Double accounting, or did the CTA (according to New Flyer) buy 58 buses for which it didn't have money? Or is this a way to get the supposedly lapsed BRT money up front?

Also, the first mention from a CTA source about the 58 buses.

Curiouser and curiouser....

Yeah, they seem to be in a catch-22. They signed a contract for 58 buses in October from NF expecting to get at least some money for a pilot program of BRT. Now that has fallen through at least for now. The 58 buses are most likely coming whether there's BRT or not. It's now a question of how to pay for it without a grant. All this work on upgrading rail signals cost money too. With the #5000 railcars being AC versus DC. I'm not sure if they would operate on the old DC system. So that would require a system upgrade. (most of which has already happened)

• 2 weeks later...

I put together a special themed BRT-bus on a D40LF drawing... tell me what you think(BTW, I know that 2000 will not be a BRT bus, but I don't have a D60LF drawing). Take and change it to what you think our BRT-buses will look like(provided we get them).

Looks good though I don't think they're going to put 'BRT EXPRESS BUS' on it.

I put together a special themed BRT-bus on a D40LF drawing... tell me what you think(BTW, I know that 2000 will not be a BRT bus, but I don't have a D60LF drawing). Take and change it to what you think our BRT-buses will look like(provided we get them).

I'd actually be crazy enough to suggest they go back to the classic two-tone green scheme back in the 80's. Don't get me wrong, I like the design, but there's nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking.

I'd actually be crazy enough to suggest they go back to the classic two-tone green scheme back in the 80's. Don't get me wrong, I like the design, but there's nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking.

I would like to see it similar to the scheme that is on the 500 series currently, Although it cant be the same.

I agree,I miss the two-tone green also.It would be nice to go back to that scheme again. :D

How about changing the black around the window to red?

Then it would be perfect! :D