#4000 Arrives

Kevin

Walking down State Street today, I caught a glimpse of 4013 headed north on the

146 route. As it went by, I noticed a pretty good crease on the rear end, underneath

the red stripe and above the rear bumper. I took a pic, but it is a little hard to see.

Gotta love all the damage on the back ends of the artics.

post-17-1230701201_thumb.jpg

I managed to spot #1667 the other day. The bus that was in an accident on Roosevelt. (There is a topic in CTA bus) The rear of the bus has the right upper corner repainted so it has no rear number decal or handicapped symbol. It just a white piece of body. It must have had more damage than was shown over the media outlets.

Walking down State Street today, I caught a glimpse of 4013 headed north on the

146 route. As it went by, I noticed a pretty good crease on the rear end, underneath

the red stripe and above the rear bumper. I took a pic, but it is a little hard to see.

Gotta love all the damage on the back ends of the artics.

post-17-1230701201_thumb.jpg

Not surprising, the artics are prone to accidents due to the length and drivers inattention. I think CTAs instruction dept. should do a better job on training with the artics. We all remember the MAN artics, the NABIs are all dinged up and now were going to see this with the New Flyers. It does bother me how these buses get all smashed up.

Not surprising, the artics are prone to accidents due to the length and drivers inattention. I think CTAs instruction dept. should do a better job on training with the artics. We all remember the MAN artics, the NABIs are all dinged up and now were going to see this with the New Flyers. It does bother me how these buses get all smashed up.
But since the dent is in the back, hard to attribute it to the driver unless he was backing up, or hit someone on the swing.

Given reports of other bus accidents, sure looks like other types of drivers prefer to hit new buses. Or maybe just because, for a change, there are more around.

I guess it wont do any good to post about how every 1000 series bus had the front brake shoes replaced due to the shoe seperating from the backing plate, air dryers having to be retro-fit, or the fact that about 50 % of them have the rear slack adjuster lock nuts coming loose and the brakes loosing adjustment on them. Nothing to do with the condition of the city streets with them issues.

I guess it wont do any good to post about how every 1000 series bus had the front brake shoes replaced due to the shoe seperating from the backing plate, air dryers having to be retro-fit, or the fact that about 50 % of them have the rear slack adjuster lock nuts coming loose and the brakes loosing adjustment on them. Nothing to do with the condition of the city streets with them issues.

Given that your prior posts about the 1000s gave the impression that you're trying to stick it to your bosses, or should I say former bosses due to your retirement, no it probably wouldn't do much good. At this point, it just comes off as you're giving reports of things being wrong to disparage your immediate former bosses. And when you're challenged on it, you just bring up other alleged problems to keep a point going. Why don't you just point out all these problems in one posts instead of just pulling a new one out of your hat in every post to justify your opinion that the 1000s are such a bad model?

I finally saw a New Flyer DE60LF bus this afternoon on #152 EB(#4039. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to ride it). Boy is that engine quiet from the outside!!!

#4037 was on the #152 also. I saw it as it was pulling in from the game yesterday. Ironically it was pulling in traveling Cicero NB. (Maybe a sneak preview of things to come if some of these end up at Chicago.)

#4037 was on the #152 also. I saw it as it was pulling in from the game yesterday. Ironically it was pulling in traveling Cicero NB. (Maybe a sneak preview of things to come if some of these end up at Chicago.)
Right at the beginning of the Winter Classic, NBC showed one going by on Clark. As usual, one could only see the "Clean Air Hybrid Bus" decal on the letterboard and the bellows, not a number.

Right at the beginning of the Winter Classic, NBC showed one going by on Clark. As usual, one could only see the "Clean Air Hybrid Bus" decal on the letterboard and the bellows, not a number.

Also in the overhead camera shots you could see the buses lined up on Addison for the westbound trip from Wrigley. One at the end at Sheffield had a distinctingly different roof not like the NABI's, but artic.

Also in the overhead camera shots you could see the buses lined up on Addison for the westbound trip from Wrigley. One at the end at Sheffield had a distinctingly different roof not like the NABI's, but artic.
If you could have only froze that picture for those one the forum that wanted a roof shot. :lol:

I bet you didn't get a chance to see which pod had the air conditioner fans. :D

Given that your prior posts about the 1000s gave the impression that you're trying to stick it to your bosses, or should I say former bosses due to your retirement, no it probably wouldn't do much good. At this point, it just comes off as you're giving reports of things being wrong to disparage your immediate former bosses. And when you're challenged on it, you just bring up other alleged problems to keep a point going. Why don't you just point out all these problems in one posts instead of just pulling a new one out of your hat in every post to justify your opinion that the 1000s are such a bad model?

There is nothing to be gained by "sticking it to former bosses". Alleged problems ? I would think that anyone with 26 years as a CTA Mechanic would know a little more than the person on the street who rides the bus. I inspected busses for the last 8 years of my time at CTA so I think it qualifys me a little more than the average person. And challenged on what ? I think I have replyed to almost all questions asked of me in my posts. One thing Im glad to hear about is that since the article in the Sun Times about the Managers sending out unsafe buses on the street to make schedule, they have put a stop to it. Now the bus is held in till the repairs are made.

If I was trying to stick it to bosses I would mention here about how CTA raised fares this year due to the fact they gave managers nice bonuses and an average of $15,000 a year raises, and created more manager jobs and handed out promotions to non union employees. As a result they had to increase fares this year.

There is nothing to be gained by "sticking it to former bosses". Alleged problems ? I would think that anyone with 26 years as a CTA Mechanic would know a little more than the person on the street who rides the bus. I inspected busses for the last 8 years of my time at CTA so I think it qualifys me a little more than the average person. And challenged on what ? I think I have replyed to almost all questions asked of me in my posts. One thing Im glad to hear about is that since the article in the Sun Times about the Managers sending out unsafe buses on the street to make schedule, they have put a stop to it. Now the bus is held in till the repairs are made.

If I was trying to stick it to bosses I would mention here about how CTA raised fares this year due to the fact they gave managers nice bonuses and an average of $15,000 a year raises, and created more manager jobs and handed out promotions to non union employees. As a result they had to increase fares this year.

Since I already established that I don't trust your motives at this point, why continue with this? I don't see any credibility despite your credentials.

Since I already established that I don't trust your motives at this point, why continue with this? I don't see any credibility despite your credentials.

Maybe there are other people here that would be interested in what goes on behind the scenes a little more than just how pretty the new bus looks on the street, or what bus number is on what route. It gets a little deeper than that and if you dont comprehend the Mechanical aspect of the bus and have doubts then maybe you should hold your doubts and suspisions to yourself also.

I would think that anyone with 26 years as a CTA Mechanic would know a little more than the person on the street who rides the bus. I inspected busses for the last 8 years of my time at CTA so I think it qualifys me a little more than the average person. And challenged on what ? I think I have replyed to almost all questions asked of me in my posts.

Well, here are two to which you have completely refused to give a reply:

Why did you say you heard about problems with 4000s at Kedzie, then claim to have heard about problems at 103-BUT NOT ANY OTHER GARAGE--which must include Kedzie?

For that matter, why don't you respond to sw's post that CTA hasn't had a gas bus since the 1950s? As a mechanic with 26 years service, you should know what a diesel engine is.

Until you answer those two, I can't take you seriously, and apparently neither can jajuan.

Anyone know the delivery trend of the 4000s now that 77th reportedly has them? Is there an odd/even swap still occuring between 77th and North Park or 103rd or is 77th taking in all newly delivered 4000s at the moment?

I think 77th is taking in all newly delivered 4000s at the moment.

That is just my opinion. I do not have any photographic proof. I don't go, and wouldn't go, to 77th to photograph buses.

Why, is there something wrong with that garage? Plus the South Shops Complex is down there also. What kind of bus fan are you? That place is bus fan heaven! As a matter of fact, my afternoon run tomorrow has me go down there to the shops to get my bus!

Why, is there something wrong with that garage? Plus the South Shops Complex is down there also. What kind of bus fan are you? That place is bus fan heaven! As a matter of fact, my afternoon run tomorrow has me go down there to the shops to get my bus!

Of course there isn't anything wrong with that garage. Safety is the reason why I don't travel to that part of town. And what kind of bus fan am I? I'm a bus fan and that's all you need to know! Any other problems? Come message me!

Are you out of 77th? If not, why do you have to go there for your bus? Is it in for repairs or something? I thought the Technician takes buses to and from garages.

Are you out of 77th? If not, why do you have to go there for your bus? Is it in for repairs or something? I thought the Technician takes buses to and from garages.

Every weekday, two runs from each garage go to South Shops in the morning, and two runs from each garage leave South Shops in the afternoon. The runs operate in regularly scheduled service, using operators from their home garage. They just happen to have a different pull in/pull out location.

Every weekday, two runs from each garage go to South Shops in the morning, and two runs from each garage leave South Shops in the afternoon. The runs operate in regularly scheduled service, using operators from their home garage. They just happen to have a different pull in/pull out location.

I remember having a run like that from Kedzie where I would have to do a SS pullout then do two trips on #60 B.Island. At FG also a #91 Austin run would pullin to SS.

Maybe there are other people here that would be interested in what goes on behind the scenes a little more than just how pretty the new bus looks on the street, or wh'reat bus number is on what route. It gets a little deeper than that and if you dont comprehend the Mechanical aspect of the bus and have doubts then maybe you should hold your doubts and suspisions to yourself also.

Please spare me the being more interested in how pretty the buses are baloney. I said to you some weeks ago when you first brought up your concerns that if they involved safety report it to someone who can remedy the situation. Instead you insisted on making post after post of all these problems but gave no indication that you had reported the more serious to the proper officials who could correct them. That's what made me question your motives, and I do have a right to bring up those doubts if you're going to post these problems that are supposed to be going on with all these new buses on a public forum but give no indication that you reported the more serious ones to proper officials who can correct them. You can also save the not comprehending the mechanical aspect of the bus line because it doesn't take an expert on how a bus works to understand when someone is putting out all these problems going on with a bus, some of which are said to involve passenger safety, but yet that person refuses to report the problem under the premise that nothing is going to be done about it anyway. That would make anyone question if all these problems are really occurring. Now you say there are problems but they are getting fixed. There's just nothing consistant with what you've been posting all this time, but yet no one is supposed to question the credibility behind the posts.