New Artics Have Arrived!

santran

In case anyone's interested, #4155 sports another new seat design. (That makes three different seats on artics) This one has a grey plastic seat frame with a slightly shorter back on them. They have the original deep blue seat inserts although they are cut differently because the seat itself is different. So far I've only seen the bus in service 3 times all on rush hour only runs. So it's kind of tricky to locate if you want to see it for yourself. BTW, #4203 is on the #146 today.

In case anyone's interested, #4155 sports another new seat design. (That makes three different seats on artics) This one has a grey plastic seat frame with a slightly shorter back on them. They have the original deep blue seat inserts although they are cut differently because the seat itself is different. So far I've only seen the bus in service 3 times all on rush hour only runs. So it's kind of tricky to locate if you want to see it for yourself. BTW, #4203 is on the #146 today.

I rode bus 4196 yesterday on the 146. There was only one forward facing set of seats in the front of the bus (behind) the handicapped seats, the next forward facing seats were at the very rear of the bus, which is where I sat. I didn't want to ride sideways. I hate those seats on those buses. So NP can keep all of those new buses, I willtry to ride anything other than 4150 and up.

Happened to get on #4155 today. Pics of those seats attached.

Were these longitudinal all the way to the back?

Yes, there the same as the post #4150 buses. They do seem a little more comfortable than the metal ones, but seem a bit cheap to me. At least the metal ones looked a little more luxurious with a nice shine to them. Overall I still like the #4000 seats the best for comfort, style and appearance.

I was on 4203 on the 152 after the Cub game today. To say the least

I was very disappointed. Firstly, the facing seats suck. Secondly,

after telling my wife that this would be the quietest ride she would

ever had, I was made a liar. This bus grinded and squealed like no

other. It actually sounded like a street sweeper every time it went

off a stop. The driver stunk...she slammed on the brakes every chance

she had. And to top it off, the new bus smell was ruined by some old guy

standing in the stairwell who stunk to high heaven with BO...I was so

happy every time that back door opened (fresh air !!!!).

I was so excited to see that 4200 (the first I have actually seen),

but I think I enjoyed the ride on the old 6100 to the ball park better.

I was on 4203 on the 152 after the Cub game today. To say the least

I was very disappointed. Firstly, the facing seats suck. Secondly,

after telling my wife that this would be the quietest ride she would

ever had, I was made a liar. This bus grinded and squealed like no

other. It actually sounded like a street sweeper every time it went

off a stop. The driver stunk...she slammed on the brakes every chance

she had. And to top it off, the new bus smell was ruined by some old guy

standing in the stairwell who stunk to high heaven with BO...I was so

happy every time that back door opened (fresh air !!!!).

I was so excited to see that 4200 (the first I have actually seen),

but I think I enjoyed the ride on the old 6100 to the ball park better.

Thanks for the review. I had a feeling riding on these buses might remind me of an MTA subway car.

Not too much further to go (4206 detected on BusTracker).

post-14-12532255514442_thumb.jpg

Yeah, there all out there this morning. #4207 on the #147, #4206 on the #135, #4205, #4204 and #4202 on the #146. I guess that's it for that. #4149 remains the last one missing. I guess it will show up eventually like #7725 did. Now they can start the saga of the 140. If we get the olympics on 10/2 those will probably be on the fast track.

...Now they can start the saga of the 140. If we get the olympics on 10/2 those will probably be on the fast track.

It is clear that with regard to the 140 the hold up is the state capital bonds, not anything to do with the Olympics. People keep saying that the Olympics will result in a gush of capital money, but no one has pointed the source out, and supposedly the proposal submitted to the IOC said that existing transit infrastructure was adequate

If the Olympics have any relevance, it would be for the back end option for the last 500.

It is clear that with regard to the 140 the hold up is the state capital bonds, not anything to do with the Olympics. People keep saying that the Olympics will result in a gush of capital money, but no one has pointed the source out, and supposedly the proposal submitted to the IOC said that existing transit infrastructure was adequate

If the Olympics have any relevance, it would be for the back end option for the last 500.

Yes, but then the money will roll in. Part of the olympic funding is for a transportation upgrade. The IOC already has concerns about transportation. That shows they think an upgrade is needed. Besides those areas could double in service and ridership. (More if you take in account the green line's lower ridership.)Metra wants to add train cars from other cities to it's fleet if 2016 happens. Would CTA follow that lead when it has a contract pending? Alot will change if we get 2016. For instance Block 37 will most likely get it's sponsorship. Who would refuse an opportunity to get on the world's stage? Also we may even get BRT going again and probably the entire Bombardier contract would be exercised also. And you also could get another stimulus from The President. I think alot is riding on 10/2. It's like a winning lottery ticket.

I think alot is riding on 10/2. It's like a winning lottery ticket.

My and many others' tickets are on Rio. Also, I only play PowerBall, not Mega Millions, the latter of which has never had a big payoff in Illinois.

Unless the feds print more money for this express purpose, no source has been identified. Metra has talked about borrowing cars from other systems, or running July 3rd service for 2 weeks, but not permanently doubling its fleet. I also noted on another blog that it would suddenly be curious that the Olympics would force Daley into becoming an advocate for Metra, one of the few local agencies that he does not control. Or if the Olympics would result in any serious consideration of the Gray Line, although that is the only thing that might, or markedly change the finances of the Airport Express, in which Carole Brown never believed but allowed a quarter billion of someone's money to be sunk into the tunnel.

• Upvote 2

My and many others' tickets are on Rio. Also, I only play PowerBall, not Mega Millions, the latter of which has never had a big payoff in Illinois.

Unless the feds print more money for this express purpose, no source has been identified. Metra has talked about borrowing cars from other systems, or running July 3rd service for 2 weeks, but not permanently doubling its fleet. I also noted on another blog that it would suddenly be curious that the Olympics would force Daley into becoming an advocate for Metra, one of the few local agencies that he does not control. Or if the Olympics would result in any serious consideration of the Gray Line, although that is the only thing that might, or markedly change the finances of the Airport Express, in which Carole Brown never believed but allowed a quarter billion of someone's money to be sunk into the tunnel.

It would just be extra service for the summer of 2016, but good things can come out of it long term like funding for transit projects that should have been built years ago. Just look at the stimulus, #6400 rehabs, blue line rerailing and retieing, and the 58 stimulus #4150's. Extra funding does help. Just think if this money were unavailable all the things they would not be doing.

Your on to a good point.

I personally don't think that Chicago is going to get the Olympics mainly because of concerns with transportation, financial guarantees, and overall funding for the events. I could be wrong, but it seems that there is just too much up in the air with it and when you combine its with the city never being able to complete projects on time, on budget, and mismanaged (i.e. block 37) it will all blow up.

Im sorry to take this even more off topic.

58 buses are finally here. Chapter closed (for now).

These seats are from europe. Why would the CTA purchase seats from overseas with stimulus money that is supposed to be used on US companies to help the economy? Why?

Do you have a link to the supplier?

In any event, the Buy America Act governs bus purchases, and it isn't alleged that these buses violate it (after all, the body shells are Canadian, but NF claims that its buses have 70% U.S. content while the Act requires 60%). There was also the talk about Cash for Clunkers being usable for foreign assembled cars, including the Ford Fusion, hecho en Mexico.

Finally, this appears to be a one bus test, similar to other tests CTA has done.