New Eldorados?

artthouwill

I'm basing mine on what I have either seen personally or on WebWatch in the past couple of weeks. Unlike you, with retirements happening, I'm not assuming the existence of those not recently seen. In any event, these are only ball park figures, which apparently show that the number left now apparently approximates the number of buses to be reallocated, if the distribution of ElDorados is as rotjohns indicates.

Furthermore, while I have seen 2704 on North Shore routes, both physically and virtually, I haven't in the past couple of weeks. So, that's subject to the same caveat.

Of course, I have never been a member of the fraternity of the roster (nor does there appear to be a Pace one) and of course recognize the possibility of ghost buses.

Update: At the moment 2706 is showing up on 215, so all of our numbers are off.

post-14-12875258821386_thumb.jpg

I've been seeing Eldo's in rush hour on the #221 and #223 which is kind of shocking to me. I know the #221 gets hit by an office park on Touhy (20-30 riders) and factory workers on Wolf Rd. (10-15) Then it has to deal with Maine West at Oakton and the Kensington Business center which has about 10-15 riders too. I've seen the PM commute myself which is packed with a standing load on an Eldo. I can only imagine what it's like in the AM. I wonder if some riders are getting left behind there at Rosemont as well.

As far as El Dorados on 223, I saw one last week on it. It was parked right across from RMU in Bensenville and an Orion VI was right behind it. It surprised me at the time also, but going down Rt. 83, I saw at the most 2 people waiting for buses and this was just after 4:00. I've also noticed that area has a bunch of empty buildings from former companies, which would tell me there have been some layoffs in recent months/years. Another good example is the 757 lately has had mostly 6600s on their routes and I even spotted one of that didn't look it it had more than 10 passengers on it and this was close to 5pm. It may seem strange to see all these El Dorados in places that a few years ago you wouldn't dare see, but seeing how the passenger load overall is not where it used to be when gas prices were sky high, Busjack's point of "right sizing" for buses on certain routes at certain times seems to make sense to me. NW knew what they were doing when they asked for the Eldos, but if you're gonna have routes with mix of 30 and 40-footers, Pace just needs to ensure the 30-footers are in time slots where they know there won't be a lot of passengers and then put the 40-footers in spots where there will be a lot. If customers complain enough about standing room only on the Eldos, Pace will fix it.

... considering I saw El Dorados 2665 and 2666 today....

Thanks for confirming what I thought a couple of days ago.

I have the feeling that a couple of more NW Eldos might have also made that switch, but I haven't thoroughly analyzed NW and NS routes in the past few days, but 2704 and 2706 have been elsewhere than NW, and the question is whether they are still at NS, or might be finishing up Naperville's quota.

I have the feeling that a couple of more NW Eldos might have also made that switch, but I haven't thoroughly analyzed NW and NS routes in the past few days, but 2704 and 2706 have been elsewhere than NW, and the question is whether they are still at NS, or might be finishing up Naperville's quota.

Not a problem. I was gonna report that on this thread anyway. I had a feeling both of those buses were sent to Naperville and it made sense to send them there. As far as 2704, I saw it recently on Webwatch on 422 or 423 (don't remember which one) within the past few days. I thought those buses were at NW. Maybe they were both down for maintenance or other problems.

Also, I was at S. Holland early this morning and discovered that there are 4 El Dorados still in it's lot that I saw. 2801 & 2807 are 2 of them, but I couldn't see the other 2 behind 2801. Any reason as to why they are still there and if they are going to Westmont or somewhere else soon?

Not a problem. I was gonna report that on this thread anyway. I had a feeling both of those buses were sent to Naperville and it made sense to send them there. As far as 2704, I saw it recently on Webwatch on 422 or 423 (don't remember which one) within the past few days. I thought those buses were at NW. Maybe they were both down for maintenance or other problems.

Also, I was at S. Holland early this morning and discovered that there are 4 El Dorados still in it's lot that I saw. 2801 & 2807 are 2 of them, but I couldn't see the other 2 behind 2801. Any reason as to why they are still there and if they are going to Westmont or somewhere else soon?

How many are on order as of today?

Looking through the entire Webwatch this morning (7-7:40), no sign of 2704 or 2706 anywhere in Pace's system that Webwatch is working. Either they're on a route that we can't see, or they are down for maintenance.

Looking through the entire Webwatch this morning (7-7:40), no sign of 2704 or 2706 anywhere in Pace's system that Webwatch is working. Either they're on a route that we can't see, or they are down for maintenance.

In the NS or NW areas, 326 and 630 are blank. However, odds are, buses on those routes would eventually show up elsewhere.

The last time I was at South Holland, 2801 was there, and that was over 3 months ago (July 20).

#2706 was on the #210 a couple weeks ago (when I reported about the bad #250 service, I saw it that day) So where exactly did #2665 and #2666 go?

#2706 was on the #210 a couple weeks ago (when I reported about the bad #250 service, I saw it that day) So where exactly did #2665 and #2666 go?

According to rotjohns, Naperville.

2705 and 2707 appear to have been reprogrammed, as they are showing up on exclusively NS routes. There were a couple of ghost routes in the Shuttle Bug range (627-635) so I might make a guess that 2704 and 2706 are there. I would have to get off my [deleted] and tool up to Lake Cook and Braeside to verify that during the rush hour (as the fenced area has been vacated for the Winter).

There are 3 NABI'S at S.Holland,6620,6621 and 6636.

6636 probably was expected, no fit there. 6620-6621 is somewhat a surprise, especially since 6621 ran the newly revamped route 821. I guess given the fact the entire fleet at Westmont will eventually be El Dorados, it really doesn't matter.

Far as 2704 & 2706, North Shore seems to be the only place that would make sense to send them IF in fact that's where they ended up. I'll be in the area later this week, maybe I'll catch one of them.

Since Pace is so happy to have 30 ft buses, maybe its time for them to see about getting 20 or so of CTA's little used Optimas in exchange for maybe 20 Orions (2001) or South's (1999)NABIs.

I don't see that happening unless CTA keeps experiencing bus crashes as they have of late. Another one about a week ago. But you're right, there are still a few routes w/40-footers that aren't needed. Given the fact West division is stacking up on the 35-foot Nabis, you could make a case to send the Optimas there OR better yet, maybe even do what CTA did a few years ago. Send the Optimas to the shuttle bug routes and send the 2280s and 2300s that are left to CTA. However, the likelihood of all this happening are slim to none.

• Upvote 1

Passed by First Student in Westmont tonight, No El Dorados in it's lot at all. So it appears all of them are on routes (Webwatch is down though so I can't see where). The Nabis that I saw in its lot and presumably awaiting to head to other locations are 6609, 6610, 6611, 6615, 6616, 6619, 6649, and 6676.

Passed by First Student in Westmont tonight, No El Dorados in it's lot at all. So it appears all of them are on routes (Webwatch is down though so I can't see where). The Nabis that I saw in its lot and presumably awaiting to head to other locations are 6609, 6610, 6611, 6615, 6616, 6619, 6649, and 6676.

Before the computer crash, 2809 was on 829. I had to leave about 4:45, before the others would have been out.

• 2 weeks later...

According to rotjohns, Naperville.

2705 and 2707 appear to have been reprogrammed, as they are showing up on exclusively NS routes. There were a couple of ghost routes in the Shuttle Bug range (627-635) so I might make a guess that 2704 and 2706 are there. I would have to get off my [deleted] and tool up to Lake Cook and Braeside to verify that during the rush hour (as the fenced area has been vacated for the Winter).

2704 has been found. It's on one of the shuttle bug routes according to Webwatch this morning.

• Upvote 1

Hadn't seen it or 2630 either physically or virtually on North Shore routes the past couple of days, so I guess there is always an explanation.:lol: Thanks.

That seems like an odd place to put 2635 considering they start at 2665 in Naperville. I guess they are trying hard to get the remaining Orions there out of service.

• 2 weeks later...

On Wednesday Afternoon Rush hour, I spotted #2817 (Eldo) on S. Cicero/ 79th St. working Route #383 Northbound, I was like "What in the World", I was so unhappy that Southwest think that they can put those little things (w/ One Door) on any route or is that are they back doing interline at Midway?, Few days before I saw couple of them Eldos on #386 around the same time I saw an 40 ft Orion on #382.

• Upvote 2

On Wednesday Afternoon Rush hour, I spotted #2817 (Eldo) on S. Cicero/ 79th St. working Route #383 Northbound, I was like "What in the World", I was so unhappy that Southwest think that they can put those little things (w/ One Door) on any route or is that are they back doing interline at Midway?, Few days before I saw couple of them Eldos on #386 around the same time I saw an 40 ft Orion on #382.

I would think every SW route other than 381, 383, and 386, UPS excluded, would be eligible for an Eldo. Perhaps they were "short" on buses that day. This reminds me of my very first bus ride on a CTA Optima, on route 36 Broadway, on a Saturday afternoon, with a 40ft bus following.