New Eldorados?

artthouwill

While stranger things have happened, I wouldn't be betting on that because...

• All NW and SW have are Orion VIs and ARRA Eldorados, and hence have no need for more of the same buses.
  • If we accept the September Minutes that this delivery is only 62 buses, that isn't enough to retire much more than the Orion Is and 1999 NABIs at S, N, and NS. If any more are coming, then the Orion VIs would be the next to be retired, so no point further shifting them around.

That's definitely not true. South got the first 2401s. Also, while the Orion Vis (6000-6143) were originally spread evenly among the 4 big divisions (NW, W, SW, and S), S got the 6162 series NABIs first, and gave up their Orion VIs to mostly NW. Also, W had to rely on Elgin getting ElDos and shifting some of their 6600s to West (as well as W getting 6600s from other places) to retire the remaining Ikarus buses.

The only thing that probably can be said here, and is reflected in the Minutes, is that the strategy changed once Pace decided to get CNGs for S. Also, W might need a couple of more buses to take over 317 rush hour runs.

When did South have any of the 6000-6143 series? From what-to-what and when-to-when?

When did South have any of the 6000-6143 series? From what-to-what and when-to-when?

6116-6144.* From delivery (about 2001) to when the 6162 NABIs arrived (about 2003).

The tip off that they had them was that there was an announcement that all weekend Pace routes would all be accessible, which would have been possible at South only if it had more buses.

As I noted most (probably all) were transferred to NW.

Original allocation of 6000s was:

6000-6028 NW

6029-6071 W

6072-6115 SW

6116-6144 S

6145-6155 and 6156 -6161 were add on orders. All, of course, are except 13.

*My number recollection seems to have changed since the last post. Sorry.

6116-6144.* From delivery (about 2001) to when the 6162 NABIs arrived (about 2003).

The tip off that they had them was that there was an announcement that all weekend Pace routes would all be accessible, which would have been possible at South only if it had more buses.

As I noted most (probably all) were transferred to NW.

Original allocation of 6000s was:

6000-6028 NW

6029-6071 W

6072-6115 SW

6116-6144 S

6145-6155 and 6156 -6161 were add on orders. All, of course, are except 13.

*My number recollection seems to have changed since the last post. Sorry.

Aaa-hah, I now remember the number series crossing from the lower to upper 6160s but had forgotten about the bus type. Udaman.

so where is this "Moving Forward" newsletter and how can I get it? I don't see any links on here. I signed up at Pace's website and still don't have it. Is there something special I have to do to get/see it. Did I miss something? :huh:

The Newsline page says: Sign up for Pace's weekly E-Newsletter by emailing a request to govt.affairs@pacebus.com.

If you use the provided link (there or here), it automatically puts "Sign up for Pace's weekly E-Newsletter" in the subject line, if you have a default e-mail program.

When it first came out, under another name, the link was more prominent. Also, I used it to sign up several people advocating for CTA at the expense of suburban transit who had put their e-mail addresses out there on the Internet.

• 3 weeks later...

So today, 6325, 6328, 6330, and 6337 were all out today. I wonder what buses besides 6277 has West given up. Also, I wonder how many more Eldos are on Pace property that have yet to be put in service.

I spoke with the driver of 6337, and he said the bus was okay. He definitely didn't like the turning radius of the bus (he said the NABIs turn better). Another West driver spoke about Pace wanting the retarders to be on at all times on those buses, but I don't remember hearing (or feeling) it on 6337.

The floors on these buses are blue, not gray like the other Pace models.

The interior lights appear to be LED

The rear doors are similar to those on the CTA artics, you touch the yellow strip on the door and it opens inward.

The engine sounds similar to the ones on the 2600s though there is a slight difference.

There are standee straps that face inward (instead of downward) throughout the bus.

Yesterday, there were at least two 6323-series buses in service - #6325 on the #318-#319 interline, #6330 on the #311. Today, there are two 6323-series buses in service: #6326 on the #331, #6337 on the #303.

Thus, so far we have seen at least five of the new Axess buses that have been placed in revenue service - #6325, #6326, #6328, #6330 and #6337. These buses have now begun to replace the NABI 6260s and 6270s at West (the 6260s and 6270s that were at West have now begun to be transferred to South).

Yesterday, there were at least two 6323-series buses in service - #6325 on the #318-#319 interline, #6330 on the #311. Today, there are two 6323-series buses in service: #6326 on the #331, #6337 on the #303.

Thus, so far we have seen at least five of the new Axess buses that have been placed in revenue service - #6325, #6326, #6328, #6330 and #6337. These buses have now begun to replace the NABI 6260s and 6270s at West (the 6260s and 6270s that were at West have now begun to be transferred to South).

In the midday period yesterday #6328 and #6325 were both on the #319. Later last night I got to check them out. First thing you notice when the bus pulls up, they all have the newer type headlights (The bright blue/whitish kind you see on luxury automobiles) That's actually pretty cool if you can see them in a night setting. The bus has really smooth acceleration. The interior kind of reminds me of a compobus, it seems like the back doors are more at the center of the bus versus the back half. The bus looks like it has more seats than it has. (36 I counted) The front handicap seats look wide almost a 1/2 seat bigger than CTA's. Overall I really like the bus, it seems modern, if you get too close to the back doors to trip the buzzer an audible message comes on and tells you to "please stand clear of the doors" (something CTA could use) The only negatives I could find is that the seats seem closer together than the Pace NABI's, (less leg room) Like maybe they tried squeezing a few extra seats in. I also don't like the painting of the wrench over the back side windows. Why have a window if you can't see through it? (The NABI #6262's have this removed over the windows) I was actually surprised how much I liked the bus. Eldorado national's two Pace buses both are the two best transit buses in the city I've seen so far. I hope they can get as many as they can.

... it seems like the back doors are more at the center of the bus versus the back half....

art's picture may indicate that, in that there is a wedge window behind the back door, compared to a NABI that does not have that where the exit door is, although both brands have a wedge window on the left side.

Also, this PM rush, 6330 and 6334 are on #302 and #305, respectively.

So that makes at least six of the new 40-foot Eldos that have been placed into service thus far.

By the way, I rode in 6337 on route #303 this afternoon. I counted 37 seats inside the bus - three more than the 34 seats in the 40-foot NABIs in the 6162 and 6262 series, and two more than the 35 seats in the Orion VIs. (The driver is not counted in the above numbers.)

• Upvote 1

art's picture may indicate that, in that there is a wedge window behind the back door, compared to a NABI that does not have that where the exit door is, although both brands have a wedge window on the left side.

It's interesting seeing buses in the area again that have their rear doors positioned favoring the center of the bus and not the rear half of the bus.

The November minutes throw more confusion on this fire, indicating that deliveries of the 69 are to be completed either at the end of April or mid May of 2013 (compared to the prior "62 before Christmas").

It confirms what we later knew that this enables transferring 2005 NABIs to South. Then she says that the last 15 are to be one-door express buses, apparently most to go to South to replace the leased OTRs. However, as I noted last night, there is a requisition that the contractor provide OTRs.

The November minutes throw more confusion on this fire, indicating that deliveries of the 69 are to be completed either at the end of April or mid May of 2013 (compared to the prior "62 before Christmas").

It confirms what we later knew that this enables transferring 2005 NABIs to South. Then she says that the last 15 are to be one-door express buses, apparently most to go to South to replace the leased OTRs. However, as I noted last night, there is a requisition that the contractor provide OTRs.

According to that report, what is an express bus? Is it a motorcoach? Is it a transit bus like the Nova Classics?

According to that report, what is an express bus? Is it a motorcoach? Is it a transit bus like the Nova Classics?

Sounds like the Nova Classics, except no back door.

Last I heard, ElDorado was not in the motor coach business.

I'm sure it is similar to like at Rochester NY, which uses low floor, single door buses for suburban and Park and Ride services.

Weren't there Classics that were front door only? I don't believe Pace had any of such, but if memory serves me correctly, the first Classics, built by GM, could be ordered in "Transit" config, with two doors (Among other things), and "Suburban" config, with front door only and I think more spacious seating too.

I know the Fishbowls were made this way, I think the Classics too. Not sure if it continued that way when Nova took over the design, or if all built by Nova were GM Transit config.

EDIT: Never mind. Just found the Wikipedia page of the GM/Nova/MCI/Just about everyone else too Classic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_%28transit_bus%29

Apparently I had it all fairly jumbled in my memory. Meh, never really cared much for the Classic design in the first place, so never bothered much to learn a whole lot about it.

Edited by Railwaymodeler