Doors closing. (Verb missing.)

dauber

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that on the Red Line, at every stop, the operator will announce "Passengers, do not attempt to board; doors are closing" -- sometimes in addition to the automated "Doors closing" (or is it the more grammatically correct but contracted "Door's closing"?) announcement. At first I thought it was just one particular operator who liked to hear himself talk, but I noticed that ALL the operators on the Red Line are doing that now.

I've also been taking the Brown and Blue Lines semi-regularly, but I haven't heard those operator announcements on those lines, though.

1) Why did they start doing this on the Red Line? Does it have to do with the report of the kid in the stroller or something?

2) Why just the Red Line??

CTA Tattler had a story on this. Apparently in response to the baby stroller stuck in the doors incident.

I think "closing" is a verb. However, Metra's "The doors are about to close" doesn't seem to get much attention, either.

The report there is that some operators are following instructions, others aren't. That's sort of the reason why Mr. CTA became mandatory to comply with the ADA.

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that on the Red Line, at every stop, the operator will announce "Passengers, do not attempt to board; doors are closing" -- sometimes in addition to the automated "Doors closing" (or is it the more grammatically correct but contracted "Door's closing"?) announcement. At first I thought it was just one particular operator who liked to hear himself talk, but I noticed that ALL the operators on the Red Line are doing that now.

I've also been taking the Brown and Blue Lines semi-regularly, but I haven't heard those operator announcements on those lines, though.

1) Why did they start doing this on the Red Line? Does it have to do with the report of the kid in the stroller or something?

2) Why just the Red Line??

Last Wednesday morning I heard a female operator do this on the Green Line. My interpretation was that the operator had no intention of waiting for anyone who was not already on the platform (i.e running for the train).

Why? Perhaps to keep the train somewhat on schedule. If you have two people running for the train and one is far ahead of the other, the first one to the train will "hold" or block the doors until the other person makes the train. By not waiting for any passengers that are still trying to get to the train, it can reduce the chances of someone getting caught in the door before or while the train is leaving the station, thus the child in the stroller situation on the Red Line is definitely a contributing factor.

According to the article linked above, CTA states that they were looking for something different to get you to be aware of the closing doors. Many riders are not even going to notice this. They needed to do something like the people mover does at O'Hare. When the doors are going to close there is an audible buzz for 5 seconds and the announcement says "the doors are closing please hang on". At least you may notice this and the buzzer either makes you hurry or you may be hesitant if you don't know what going on. Either way they need to program something in. (more work for Mr. CTA) One operator I had mumbled it and you couldn't hear what they were saying.

I think "closing" is a verb. However, Metra's "The doors are about to close" doesn't seem to get much attention, either.

"closing" is only part of the verb, actually, but without "are," it's not grammatically correct. (And yes, I'm one of those anal-retentive @$$#0le$ who has to get loud about the "10 items or less" signs at grocery stores.)

The report there is that some operators are following instructions, others aren't. That's sort of the reason why Mr. CTA became mandatory to comply with the ADA.

Huh....interesting; I didn't know about the ADA thing. MTA in New York needs to get with the program, as does New Jersey Transit, because they just play two really off-key tones; only occasionally do you hear a door closing announcement on the New York subway -- and it's a really creepy, psycho-clownish voice that says "Stand clear of the closing doors."

IMHO, if they're doing these manual announcements for safety issues, it would help if the operators would speak clearly...took me a couple days to figure out what they're saying...

Huh....interesting; I didn't know about the ADA thing.

The regulations require that the stops be announced. The bus driver actually doing it would have been sufficient, but since they couldn't guarantee that they would, you got Mr. CTA. Similarly, the displays inside the vehicles are for the deaf (Metra has an ear symbol on the cars with them).

As far as the L, stops were generally called, but, as the historical footage indicated, were generally inaudible until the current series of cars. Thus, in once sense, having Mr. CTA say that the doors are closing and then the operator saying it seems like a step back. However, Hilkevitch thinks it is a way of reinforcing that the operators have to look at the doors.

I have heard at least two Brown Line Operators make these announcements 'Please do not attempt to board, doors are closing.'

Although on one Brown Line train, no Operator announcement, no Mr. CTA announcement. :huh:

Well I for one don't care about the grammatical structure when folks should be bright enough to get the message. Use caution because the doors are closing. It's not that hard to grasp the concept. But we're in a society where everyone's in a rush be it the train operator or passengers, and there come in the mishaps.

If they really wanted the announcement to be more effective, then they should go after the operators who hit the button to play the announcement as the doors are opening. It bugs me to no end to have a train open its doors at a busy station, and hear "[ding dong] doors closing" before anyone has even had the chance to exit the train, let alone have passengers board. The announcement would be more effective if it were consistently played immediately before the doors closed.

• Upvote 2

If they really wanted the announcement to be more effective, then they should go after the operators who hit the button to play the announcement as the doors are opening. It bugs me to no end to have a train open its doors at a busy station, and hear "[ding dong] doors closing" before anyone has even had the chance to exit the train, let alone have passengers board. The announcement would be more effective if it were consistently played immediately before the doors closed.

You said it!

If the operators would hit the button when they are ready to close the doors they wouldn't need to make "manual" door closing warnings.

• 4 weeks later...

You said it!

If the operators would hit the button when they are ready to close the doors they wouldn't need to make "manual" door closing warnings.

Agreed. And another annoying thing I hear when riding the EL is hearing operators play that "door closing" warning 2 or 3 times before they actually close the doors!

Agreed. And another annoying thing I hear when riding the EL is hearing operators play that "door closing" warning 2 or 3 times before they actually close the doors!

It's for that exact reason that I think most people (myself included) tend to ignore the doors closing message. You may get one ding-dong, you may get five, you may get none at all, none of it matters, because I'm getting on that train! Just not while the doors are in the process of closing!

• 2 weeks later...