3200s on Blue Line

Vinny

I rode in car 3281 southbound on a UIC-bound short turn this morning. I didn't look, but am guessing it was mated to 3282 (rear of the 8-car consist). Wonder if they've moved some 3200s from the Orange Line to make room for the 5000s, or just a fluke? I hadn't heard where the 5000s will be tested next.

I rode in car 3281 southbound on a UIC-bound short turn this morning. I didn't look, but am guessing it was mated to 3282 (rear of the 8-car consist). Wonder if they've moved some 3200s from the Orange Line to make room for the 5000s, or just a fluke? I hadn't heard where the 5000s will be tested next.

That might have been a "fluke" (or more precisely, fill-ins for other Blue Line-assigned cars that are currently out of service for inspection after someone smelled smoke a couple of weeks ago).

• 5 months later...

Is it possible that some of the 3200's be moved to the Blue Line once the 5000's really start coming in because I was reading about the 5000's on chicago-l.org and it looks like they might go to the Brown Line instead of the Blue.

I can't find that info, but I have been thinking about that possibility for awhile. The Brown Line 3200's can retire the 2200's on the Blue Line(which can be done when the Brown Line is done for the night as the Blue Line generally runs all 2600's in the overnight hours).

Another reason this would be plausible is the Blue Line needs 328 cars on it's line, the Brown Line needs only 156-175(which would fall under the 206 that will be eventually all built and shipped once testing is finally completed). And I'm almost sure that the CTA would want trainable cars on the Blue Line. The 2600's and 3200's can train together, the 2600's and 5000's can't.

I can't find that info, but I have been thinking about that possibility for awhile. The Brown Line 3200's can retire the 2200's on the Blue Line(which can be done when the Brown Line is done for the night as the Blue Line generally runs all 2600's in the overnight hours).

Another reason this would be plausible is the Blue Line needs 328 cars on it's line, the Brown Line needs only 156-175(which would fall under the 206 that will be eventually all built and shipped once testing is finally completed). And I'm almost sure that the CTA would want trainable cars on the Blue Line. The 2600's and 3200's can train together, the 2600's and 5000's can't.

Actually, the 5000-series order currently stands at 406 cars (including the first option for 200 extra, which has been exercised). That's enough cars to replace all of the 2200s and most of the 2400s, plus some additional cars needed on certain lines.

I guess we'll know once the CTA starts getting this order after all the testing... I'm going to stick with the Brown Line possibility based primarily on the Infrastructure Improvement Press Release from Dec 2010(link). I would consider the headline from the chicago-L.org that Mr.cta85 mentioned, but I can't locate it and would need a link to view it.

If the CTA posted it, it's either one big typo on their part, or the truth...

That makes perfect sense to move the 3200's to the Blue Line and I agree that the cta would want trainable cars on the Blue Line. That way once the 2600's get even older they could train the 32 and 2600's the way the 26 and 2200 are trained up by making the 3200 the lead cars while putting the 2600's in the middle.

If you read the tea leaves on where the tests have been the longest for the #5000's, that points in another direction. Not that I wouldn't mind what your suggesting. The seating is so uncomfortable in the #5000's, the #3200's might not be too bad. Realistically though it looks as though were headed towards one kind of train per line.

That way once the 2600's get even older they could train the 32 and 2600's the way the 26 and 2200 are trained up by making the 3200 the lead cars while putting the 2600's in the middle.

No need. The reason the 2200s are always in the middle is because they are not ADA compliant, and they want the wheelchair-accessible cars to be on the ends (for consistency). If the Blue Line had any other series of car besides 2600s, regardless of age, they could be on the ends or in the middle (just like you can find 2400s and 2600s on the Purple Line in all sorts of different arrangements).

• Upvote 1

No need. The reason the 2200s are always in the middle is because they are not ADA compliant, and they want the wheelchair-accessible cars to be on the ends (for consistency). If the Blue Line had any other series of car besides 2600s, regardless of age, they could be on the ends or in the middle (just like you can find 2400s and 2600s on the Purple Line in all sorts of different arrangements).

I remember the last time I saw 2200s in the ends and 2600s in the middle on Blue Line in the late 90s, well actually year of 2000, was 2200 a ADA Compliant back in those days? Or how did it made the arrangements?

I remember the last time I saw 2200s in the ends and 2600s in the middle on Blue Line in the late 90s, well actually year of 2000, was 2200 a ADA Compliant back in those days? Or how did it made the arrangements?

Because certain 2600s were belly cars that could not use for OPTO so they use the 2200s at the ends of the cars until they transfer the Red Line upper 3000s to the Blue Line for the belly cars.

Also, the train is ADA compliant so long as it has some accessible car. What rmadison said was only preference. Thee was a similar thing on Metra, in that, given which line had new cab cars, for a while the ADA car was the first on the UP but in the middle on most other lines. Now, all have at least 3 accessible cars.

I have a good feeling that the 3200's will be on the Blue Line along with the 2600 series but even if I'm wrong another question would be how soon will these changes take place will it be this year the newly 5000's start to come in (I personally think it will be this year) or will it be the following year of 2012?

Last night I rode an 8 car set of 3200s on the Green Line. This set was borrowed from the Orange Line. I rode car 3212. The funny thing though, was this was an 8 car consist, but passengers were only allowed in the first six cars. When I got off at Harlem, I walked past the eighth car and noticed 3 plastic containers on the floor near the sideway seats near door 1. They had some sort of liquid in them, and each had a tube that led to a blue container which was in the entire seat immediately behind the motorman's cab. From there was one single tube which ran down and then into the motorman's cab (the door was wide open), along the floor. I lost track of it at that point. The train was pulled out of service. This equipment was not like the equipment you would see when the fromt portion (or rear) of the car was blocked off in the winter time for deicing purposes.

Today there was a six car 2600 set on the Green Line, but four of them seemed to have come from the Pink Line as opposed to the Blue Line, where the other two cars seemed to come from. Are the 2400s in that bad of shape? Makes me wonder when the 5000s arrive in earnest, will CTA do a simultaneous retirement with the worst of the 2200s and the worst of the 2400s going at the same time (like the TMCs and the 5300 Flxbles)?

I have a good feeling that the 3200's will be on the Blue Line along with the 2600 series but even if I'm wrong another question would be how soon will these changes take place will it be this year the newly 5000's start to come in (I personally think it will be this year) or will it be the following year of 2012?

With over 700+ cars on order, plus being the second busiest rapid transit line in the city and the complete retirement of the 2200 series, theres no doubt the Blue Line will certainly recive a sizable number of these cars.

I for one, living near the OHare branch am anxious to see the new cars. At the same time I will certainly miss the 2200s as well.

Last night I rode an 8 car set of 3200s on the Green Line. This set was borrowed from the Orange Line. I rode car 3212. The funny thing though, was this was an 8 car consist, but passengers were only allowed in the first six cars. When I got off at Harlem, I walked past the eighth car and noticed 3 plastic containers on the floor near the sideway seats near door 1. They had some sort of liquid in them, and each had a tube that led to a blue container which was in the entire seat immediately behind the motorman's cab. From there was one single tube which ran down and then into the motorman's cab (the door was wide open), along the floor. I lost track of it at that point. The train was pulled out of service. This equipment was not like the equipment you would see when the fromt portion (or rear) of the car was blocked off in the winter time for deicing purposes.

Today there was a six car 2600 set on the Green Line, but four of them seemed to have come from the Pink Line as opposed to the Blue Line, where the other two cars seemed to come from. Are the 2400s in that bad of shape? Makes me wonder when the 5000s arrive in earnest, will CTA do a simultaneous retirement with the worst of the 2200s and the worst of the 2400s going at the same time (like the TMCs and the 5300 Flxbles)?

My question is why were they running 8 cars on the green line but what you said about the last 2cars sounds simular to what they did with the 5000's in the begining stages of testing. I would take a stab at it and say they were testing 8 car trains on the green line to see how they operate but then again they used to run 8 cars on that line before it closed down for the 2yrs.

My question is why were they running 8 cars on the green line but what you said about the last 2cars sounds simular to what they did with the 5000's in the begining stages of testing. I would take a stab at it and say they were testing 8 car trains on the green line to see how they operate but then again they used to run 8 cars on that line before it closed down for the 2yrs.

The only real issue on the Green Line is that the Cottage Grove platforms are too short for 8 cars (after the structure was cut back to just east of Cottage).

However, the question is what was in the barrels?

I'm wondering if the cta is testing cars around the system because we're so close to the beginning deliveries of the 5000-series. I've noticed on the last few weekends, provided there isn't some kind of city event that requires longer trains or extra service, that the Green Line has been running 3200-series cars from the Orange Line and 2600-series cars from the Blue Line. The Pink Line has been borrowing Blue Line cars on the weekend as well. Even right now, there is a set of 3200-series cars sitting in the yard at 54th/Cermak.