fare Payment methods

mkc31

Why do we have to suffer when buying farecards and passes, when LA, Minneapolis, New York, and Philly, You can buy a pass on the bus, or at the L station. With LA's Tap Card (like our chicago card) You can walk on the bus and purchase a one day at the fare box. The same with Minn/St.Paul's Go to card. Why do we have to waste our time finding 1 days and 7 days at walgreens, CVS, and the CE's when they are sold out, when we can just hop on the bus and get a one day from the fare box, or at the L station. especially on weekends when some CE's are closed.

so if some don't live within walking distance of a L station, CE, Jewel, Dominicks, Walgreens, or CVS, you will have to put a whole 2.25 on the bus to get there, and then pay for your pass. so that means a one day is actually $8. come on CTA, we're in 2010, where are you?

Of course, you don't HAVE to buy a fare card. You can pay a cash bus fare, but you don't get a transfer with it, as you acknowledge.

The transfers were abolished as part of the 2008 or so fare hikes, basically because they were being used fraudulently.

Most of the rest you say is correct, especially with regard to not selling passes on the bus, which other TAs do, but CTA is apparently also trying to cut the cost of counting the money. According to some reports, cash is down to 6% of bus fares.*

In any event, CTA's intent is to go to the bank card system, discussed here.

*That was the rationale used by the Tollway to double tolls for all cars that did not have I Pass.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DevalDragon

There are 2 big problems with installing pass machines on buses. First is the cost - it would cost CTA a fortune to add pass machines to each of its buses. Second, think of the lines and delays - think it takes forever to board now? Wait until people start buying passes and reloading Chicago cards while trying to board rush hour buses.

My only complaint with the current system is you can't buy a 1 day pass from CTA - except at their headquarters downtown. That's just silly.

There are 2 big problems with installing pass machines on buses. First is the cost - it would cost CTA a fortune to add pass machines to each of its buses. Second, think of the lines and delays - think it takes forever to board now? Wait until people start buying passes and reloading Chicago cards while trying to board rush hour buses.

My understanding is that the other TAs don't have pass vending machines, but if you tell the driver you want a pass before you drop your fare into the farebox, he'll run a pass through the magnetic card machine, sort of the same as CTA used to do with Transfer Cards.

However, there would still be the hold up in boarding and the problem with collecting the money out of the buses, as previously indicated.

Anyway, this becomes moot if CTA really gets off the schneid with the bank smart card method, assuming that there are sufficient outlets for the "gift card" or "prepaid" version thereof (whatever you want to call it).

My only complaint with the current system is you can't buy a 1 day pass from CTA - except at their headquarters downtown. That's just silly.

You forgot one big problem, the machine itself. Where would you put that big, bulky thing on our current fleet?

Oh, Jewel sells 1-Day passes.

You forgot one big problem, the machine itself. Where would you put that big, bulky thing on our current fleet?

Since, IMO we are getting into the more irrelevant (given the bank card proposal), I have said elsewhere that the way the state can kill two birds with one stone is to put a slot machine on the unutilized or underutilized front wheel well cover, especially now that access to it is no longer blocked by the Go Lane reader.

Since, IMO we are getting into the more irrelevant (given the bank card proposal), I have said elsewhere that the way the state can kill two birds with one stone is to put a slot machine on the unutilized or underutilized front wheel well cover, especially now that access to it is no longer blocked by the Go Lane reader.

Well, what about that mystery black box on some of the NOVA LFS buses? Wouldn't the machine be too heavy for the mystery box?

• 11 years later...
26 minutes ago, NovaHater said:

They’ve been getting there fair boxes and clever devices installed this week. 

Speaking of "fare" boxes, there was an item removed from the Pace agenda for fare boxes, I assume because CTA hadn't come to agreement on a joint procurement. Is CTA just staying with the 30 year old garbage?

55 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Speaking of "fare" boxes, there was an item removed from the Pace agenda for fare boxes, I assume because CTA hadn't come to agreement on a joint procurement. Is CTA just staying with the 30 year old garbage?

I heard rumors back in 2019 that CTA had decided on a new fair system and then you know what happened next. But I will say that it’s more likely that I’ll have a bus without a fully functional fair box then I will with a fully functional one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 2:11 PM, NovaHater said:

I heard rumors back in 2019 that CTA had decided on a new fair system and then you know what happened next. But I will say that it’s more likely that I’ll have a bus without a fully functional fair box then I will with a fully functional one. 

The GFI fare boxes are more than 30 years old. I am surprised that it wasn't replaced when the Ventra machines were kicked in; and it would make SOME sense to have a joint procurement (although if transfers and fare products are shared with the same Cubic equipment, it's moot). 

2 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

The GFI fare boxes are more than 30 years old. I am surprised that it wasn't replaced when the Ventra machines were kicked in; and it would make SOME sense to have a joint procurement (although if transfers and fare products are shared with the same Cubic equipment, it's moot). 

The real problem is that what currently exists is not an integrated system. For instance, the Ventra App can be used to pay fares on CTA and Pace only if you can tap your phone. Assuming one must still accept cash on buses, there are various products that vend passes and read QR codes in phone apps. Here's a reference to various Genfare products. I don't know what CTA and Pace specified, but hopefully a more holistic approach.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, dffdh374 said:

I have some inquiries if it’s not too much trouble ??, guide me about this. These inquiries are displayed underneath here??

https://chitransit.org/topic/4412-cta-2022-historical-calendar/

Sitting tight for most appropriate response straightaway. I’m excessively confounded here??

The first post in that thread was from February 2022 CTA Historical Calendar.   The oucture is of the once thriving Englewood Shopping District around 63rd and Halsted.  Starting in the 1870s it was transformed into a small with only CTA bus and taxi access.  Also with the changing demographics in the area, large department stores and other business left the Shopping area, leaving it pretty barren.  Reopening the area to all traffic was a solution that came way too late.

The city decided to repurpose the area for a new location for Kennedy-Kunf College    Abiut 6 years ago, Whole Foods took a dramatic step in opening up a store there.  However they are closing the store.  The discussion basically was about a once thriving business district that is now pretty much nothing.  Does that help?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Busjack said:

And now there is a stink (Sun-Times). Pace and CTA decoupled.

It seemS like again the unsuccessful bidder went to the press, since from the discussion, CTA split with Pace when it appeared that the 2 agencies had different systems with which the fare boxes had to interface, and SPX missed the deadline for submitting the "best and final offer."  Scheidt & Bachmann got the contract. Apparently this, used by MBTA.

• 4 months later...

Well on a related note, the Sun-Times reports that the interagency agreement that both service boards came to late last year and approved last December to further streamline fares goes into effect Monday of next week. Starting Feb. 20th, if you buy a one-day, three-day or seven-day pass at the current CTA only prices, they will automatically also be good on Pace at no extra charge. That extra five buck surcharge will be eliminated. So a CTA/Pace one-day will be $5, a three-day $15 and a seven-day $20. All single agency passes will be no more. The only exception will be Pace still offering a 30-day Pace only pass for $60. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:16 PM, jajuan said:

Well on a related note, the Sun-Times reports that the interagency agreement that both service boards came to late last year and approved last December to further streamline fares goes into effect Monday of next week. Starting Feb. 20th, if you buy a one-day, three-day or seven-day pass at the current CTA only prices, they will automatically also be good on Pace at no extra charge. That extra five buck surcharge will be eliminated. So a CTA/Pace one-day will be $5, a three-day $15 and a seven-day $20. All single agency passes will be no more. The only exception will be Pace still offering a 30-day Pace only pass for $60. 

This should finally enable more reverse direction travel from Chicago to collar suburbs for nightlife and weekend destinations. In my interests, brewpubs and taprooms such as Exit Strategy (Forest Park), Une Annee (Niles), Temperance (Evanston), Flapjack (Berwyn), Short Fuse (Schiller Park), FIBS (Des Plaines), Banging Gavel (Tinley Park), More Brwg. (Villa Park), and Elmhurst Brwg. (Elmhurst). Yes, most of the above have Metra commuter rail lines in their vicinity, but if you already possess a transit pass, you're going to try and use that as much as possible. ?

Does anyone know if the CTA one-ride ticket (sold at Ventra vending machines) will be honored by Pace?

Currently, CTA charges 25 cents for a transfer from Pace, does anyone know if this is changing?

I see that Pace is also eliminating the 30 cent charge for the first transfer effective Monday Feb 20.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:12 PM, Smolensk said:

Does anyone know if the CTA one-ride ticket (sold at Ventra vending machines) will be honored by Pace?

Currently, CTA charges 25 cents for a transfer from Pace, does anyone know if this is changing?

I see that Pace is also eliminating the 30 cent charge for the first transfer effective Monday Feb 20.

I just looked at the fare chart on CTA's website and it says the 25-cent transfer charge from Pace to CTA is still in effect. Just like with Pace still offering its Pace only 30-day regular pass, there are a few spots where both agencies aren't ready to completely streamline just yet.

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

I just looked at the fare chart on CTA's website and it says the 25-cent transfer charge from Pace to CTA is still in effect. Just like with Pace still offering its Pace only 30-day regular pass, there are a few spots where both agencies aren't ready to completely streamline just yet.

That is no doubt due to the fact the Pace Ventra fare is $2.00  and the CTA Ventra bus fare is $2.25.