CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

6/20/17 4:33p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Pink

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Partially Suspended

Information: Pink Line service has been temporarily suspended between Polk and the Loop due to a sick customer. As a result, Pink Line trains are operating in one section:

• Between 54th/Cermak and Polk, and then to Racine (Blue Line), only, for direct connections to Blue Line train service to/from downtown.

Using connecting Blue Line service: For service to downtown from Pink Line stations between 54th/Cermak and Polk, take a Pink Line train toward the Loop and stay on board until the train reaches Racine on the Blue Line, where you can transfer to continuing Blue Line service into downtown on the same platform.

For service from downtown to Pink Line stations between Polk and 54th/Cermak, take a Blue Line train toward Forest Park to Racine and transfer to a Pink Line train toward 54th/Cermak from the same platform.

Alternate Service: #9 Ashland, #21 Cermak, #49 Western, #50 Damen, #52 Kedzie/California, #53 Pulaski#54 Cicero, #60 Blue Island-26th, #82 Kimball-Homan, #94 South California and #157 Streeterville-Taylor buses, including in combination with other 'L' services, may also be good alternatives. If you take a bus to/from the Pink Line, you may also be able to connect to the same bus from stations along the Blue Line's Forest Park branch or Green Line along Lake Street.

Rail Alert Pink Line June 20, 2017(3).jpg

6/21/17 11:44a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green, Pink

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Green and Pink Line service is experiencing delays due to a raised bridge over the Chicago River, downtown. Some trains may be held in stations or turned back towards Harlem/Lake and 54th/Cermak before reaching the bridge to maintain service across the remainder of the route.

Alternate Service: Bus shuttle service is in place between Clinton and Clark/Lake. Listen for announcements and check train destination signs when boarding.

Rail Alert Green Line June 21, 2017.jpg

Rail Alert Pink Line June 21, 2017(2).jpg

6/21/17 12:19p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Information: Brown Line service is experiencing delays due to a raised bridge over the Chicago River, downtown. Some trains may be held in stations or turned back towards Kimball before reaching the bridge to maintain service across the remainder of the route.

Alternate Service: Bus shuttle service is in place between Merchandise Mart and Clark/Lake. Listen for announcements and check train destination signs when boarding.

Rail Alert Brown Line June 21, 2017.jpg

6/21/17 1:50p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green

Information: Harlem-bound trains are standing near Garfield due to signal problems.

Alternate Service: Consider #4 Cottage Grove, #3 King Drive, and #29 State as alternatives. Passengers can also use the Red Line as an alternative.

Rail Alert Green Line June 21, 2017(2).jpg

6/28/17 11:32a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green, Pink

Information: Green and Pink service is experiencing delays due to a raised bridge over the Chicago River, downtown. Some trains may be held in stations or turned back towards Harlem/Lake and 54th/Cermak before reaching the bridge to maintain service across the remainder of the route.

Alternate Service: Bus shuttle service is available at Clinton and Clark/Lake. Listen for announcements and check train destination signs when boarding.

Rail Alert Green Line June 28, 2017.jpg

Rail Alert Pink Line June 28, 2017.jpg

6/28/17 11:57a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Information: Brown Line service is experiencing delays due to a raised bridge over the Chicago River, downtown. Some trains may be held in stations or turned back towards Kimball before reaching the bridge to maintain service across the remainder of the route.

Alternate Service: Bus shuttle service is available at Merchandise Mart and Clark/Lake. Listen for announcements and check train destination signs when boarding.

Rail Alert Brown Line June 28, 2017.jpg

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

So we get it. Bridges have priority over trains. Maybe they can get Elon Musk's Boring Company to bore some tunnels under the River, such as in the streetcar days. Otherwise, this is boring.

Considering  how long it took to bore two miles for the new 2nd Ave  subway in New York, we may be 50 years  away from  a downtown  to O'Hare  high speed railway  with dedicated  r.o.w.   Better start printing  new money now.

7/4/17 12:29p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays(Station(s) Bypassed)

Information: Howard-bound trains are not stopping at Addison or stations at Wilson, Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn, Bryn Mawr, Thorndale, Granville, Loyola, Morse and Jarvis due to an unstable building near our tracks. (Howard-bound trains will stop at Sheridan, however.)

• For Howard-bound service from bypassed stations, take a 95th-bound train to Sheridan or Belmont (accessible) and transfer to a Howard-bound train.
  • For Howard-bound service to bypassed stations from Wilson thru Jarvis, take a Howard-bound train to Howard and transfer to 95th-bound train, which will then make all stops to 95th.
  • For Howard-bound service to Addison, take a Howard-bound train to Sheridan and transfer to a 95th-bound train back to Addison.

Note that both the Belmont and Sheridan stations are about a 10-minute walk from the Addison station. If wishing to reach Addison from a Howard-bound train, exiting at either Belmont or Sheridan and walking to Addison may also be a good option for you.

• Board 95th-bound trains on the Howard-bound side at bypassed stations. Additionally, trains in both directions stop at the Howard-bound platform at Sheridan.

Alternate Service: Consider #22 Clark, #36 Broadway, #147 Outer Drive Express and #151 Sheridan buses as possible alternatives.

Media Source(s): ABC7

Rail Alert Red Line July 4, 2017.jpg

4 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

There was a partially-collapsed building at Thorndale earlier, but it was on the 95th-bound side of the tracks. Here's a photo that I took:

IMG_3471.JPG

Great pic, @ThirdRailVision! That's incredible.... I can see why they shut service off on the tracks there and are bypassing around it. The building, if that unstable, can definitely cause damage to the structure below and compromise the safety of the people on the Red Line above if it collapses further. This might be ongoing for awhile until they are able to stabilize the building(which may take a few days, based on the amount of damage, plus they'll need an inspector to check the structure out).

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

7/4/17 12:29p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays(Station(s) Bypassed)

Information: Howard-bound trains are not stopping at Addison or stations at Wilson, Lawrence, Argyle, Berwyn, Bryn Mawr, Thorndale, Granville, Loyola, Morse and Jarvis due to an unstable building near our tracks. (Howard-bound trains will stop at Sheridan, however.)

• For Howard-bound service from bypassed stations, take a 95th-bound train to Sheridan or Belmont (accessible) and transfer to a Howard-bound train.
  • For Howard-bound service to bypassed stations from Wilson thru Jarvis, take a Howard-bound train to Howard and transfer to 95th-bound train, which will then make all stops to 95th.
  • For Howard-bound service to Addison, take a Howard-bound train to Sheridan and transfer to a 95th-bound train back to Addison.

Note that both the Belmont and Sheridan stations are about a 10-minute walk from the Addison station. If wishing to reach Addison from a Howard-bound train, exiting at either Belmont or Sheridan and walking to Addison may also be a good option for you.

• Board 95th-bound trains on the Howard-bound side at bypassed stations. Additionally, trains in both directions stop at the Howard-bound platform at Sheridan.

Alternate Service: Consider #22 Clark, #36 Broadway, #147 Outer Drive Express and #151 Sheridan buses as possible alternatives.

Media Source(s): ABC7

Rail Alert Red Line July 4, 2017.jpg

Yeah the SB local and express tracks are shutdown between Howard and Belmont. SB Red Lines are on the NB local tracks while NB Red are on the NB express tracks. Hence the reason Red Line trains are running express between Sheridan and Howard. And you're right SW that if they can't get the building structure stabilized next to the tracks then regular weekday service on the Red Line, Purple Line Express, and maybe even the Brown Line, might be a total mess tomorrow. And ABC7 appears to have goofed. They said the collapse was on the northbound side of the tracks when it's actually the southbound side given it's the southbound tracks that are totally shutdown and causing northbound trains to run express.

• Upvote 1

Theres a building collapse at thorndale. Part of an arch roof has collapsed. I'll look to see if there's something at jarvis.

Nothing at jarvis. Hmm the building is barely two to 3 feet above the tracks. I don't see why they would need to close track 2. Maybe if the train stops at thorndale. I'll take a few shots.

19 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Theres a building collapse at thorndale. Part of an arch roof has collapsed. I'll look to see if there's something at jarvis.

Nothing at jarvis. Hmm the building is barely two to 3 feet above the tracks. I don't see why they would need to close track 2. Maybe if the train stops at thorndale. I'll take a few shots.

The concern is that if the building collapses any further, it could collapse in the direction of the embankment supporting the tracks and maybe cause damage that could cause disruptions a la the recent Yellow Line disruption of last year. We saw how chaotic the Yellow Line service disruption was. Imagine what a similar disruption would do to Red Line and Purple Line Express riders. So it's best they err on the side of caution here even if it did make my ride home from a friend's house more of an adventure than it would have been. It actually helps that today's services are on Sunday/holiday schedules today. 

Ok got some shots I'll try to upload within 90 minutes. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Its chins garage that has collapsed  it has a truss roof. Looks to have collapsed inward. I can only think as it collapses CTA is worried its structure will collapse with it but both structures should be independent of each other. I guess it's best to error on a side of caution here. Thorndale is closed. A grocery store is roped off. Cta and police vehicles are all out on thorndale. Took there shots too!! Lol. Some guy approached the platform so I innocently walked away with my spy camera. 

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Ok got some shots I'll try to upload within 90 minutes. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Its chins garage that has collapsed  it has a truss roof. Looks to have collapsed inward. I can only think as it collapses CTA is worried its structure will collapse with it but both structures should be independent of each other. I guess it's best to error on a side of caution here. Thorndale is closed. A grocery store is roped off. Cta and police vehicles are all out on thorndale. Took there shots too!! Lol. Some guy approached the platform so I innocently walked away with my spy camera. 

You may not see what the fuss is about, but one look at ThirdRailVision's photo above shows why CTA is concerned. The building is literally inches from the southbound side tracks, and that little thing called gravity says any further rubble will not fall together in a straight line. It's also going to fall outward as well. Hence, CTA's concern and extra caution here. If they didn't show any concern about it, and the rubble damaged the tracks and caused injuries to passengers, you'd best believe there would be outcries that CTA was negligent. Better they have this partial disruption of service and inconvenience now until they get things stabilized and resolved enough that trains can move through those tracks again safely than the potential alternative and their facing a slew of litigation that could have been avoided.