CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

You may not see what the fuss is about, but one look at ThirdRailVision's photo above shows why CTA is concerned. The building is literally inches from the southbound side tracks, and that little thing called gravity says any further rubble will not fall together in a straight line. It's also going to fall outward as well. Hence, CTA's concern and extra caution here. If they didn't show any concern about it, and the rubble damaged the tracks and caused injuries to passengers, you'd best believe there would be outcries that CTA was negligent. Better they have this partial disruption of service and inconvenience now until they get things stabilized and resolved enough that trains can move through those tracks again safely than the potential alternative and their facing a slew of litigation that could have been avoided. 

This is obviously falling inward. i think the concern is we'll have another yellow line degradation of structure and it may collapse inward with it. I can see track 1 possibly falling inward especially with the weight of a train. There going to need a structural engineer to give the all clear, then if someone wants to sue someone when they end up in Chin's garage it will be the engineering firm not CTA, although they would still be a party to a lawsuit. Bottom line I see track 1 out of service tomorrow. Track 2 they could probably still use. Building will need emergency demolition, probably overnight tonight possibly into the coming week. While they do that track 2 will stay closed, so you may have the nightmare scenario for tomorrow morning's rush.

May I remind everyone the #147 serves Loyola/Red line and will be a good alternate. CTA needs to beef up the #147 tomorrow with the Devon pullouts, but maybe they should have Morse pullouts instead or try to serve Granville. They could always use the old #151 routing, Sheridan, Granville, Broadway, Sheridan over the regular route. Also on the table will be whether to cancel Purple line express service as that may just be too chaotic for two track service along with the Red line.

In addition to what @jajuan said, what I think the real issue is is that the Building or Fire Dept. thought thatvibrations from a train within 25 feet of the building would have collapsed it further.I'm sure they'll bring in a demolition crane ASAP, and Mr. Chin will have a flat lot in the morning.

Must have been real fun going to and from Wrigley today.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

This is obviously falling inward. i think the concern is we'll have another yellow line degradation of structure and it may collapse inward with it. I can see track 1 possibly falling inward especially with the weight of a train. There going to need a structural engineer to give the all clear, then if someone wants to sue someone when they end up in Chin's garage it will be the engineering firm not CTA, although they would still be a party to a lawsuit. Bottom line I see track 1 out of service tomorrow. Track 2 they could probably still use. Building will need emergency demolition, probably overnight tonight possibly into the coming week. While they do that track 2 will stay closed, so you may have the nightmare scenario for tomorrow morning's rush.

May I remind everyone the #147 serves Loyola/Red line and will be a good alternate. CTA needs to beef up the #147 tomorrow with the Devon pullouts, but maybe they should have Morse pullouts instead or try to serve Granville. They could always use the old #151 routing, Sheridan, Granville, Broadway, Sheridan over the regular route. Also on the table will be whether to cancel Purple line express service as that may just be too chaotic for two track service along with the Red line.

Yeah some of it is falling inward, but laws of physics still say some of the rubbish spillage would also be in the direction of CTA's embankment. You did get correct that there is potential for ground instability on the building site itself and near the embankment. There is also @Busjack's point about vibrations of trains so close to the building had the southbound tracks stayed in service. Either way that's not a "nothing to fuss about" situation by any means. Also any suits against an engineering firm inspecting the site would be unfounded because said firm would be inspecting the site to determine the safest way get the building stabilized and/or razed. So I'm not getting that direction of litigation from. Nor would CTA be responsible since its people were doing no work on or around the tracks that we know of until after getting word that the building partially collapsed. They definitely weren't there last night when I rode the train. If anything the building's owner(s) could possibly be cited for poor maintenance that may have potentially led to the roof collapse. So not seeing where you're getting CTA may still be party to litigation either outside of some scam artist putting forth bogus litigation claims. 

Well looks like service has gone back to normal on the Red Line apparently. The alert advising about northbound trains running express from Sheridan to Howard is now gone. Only thing up now under Red Line current alerts is the three months old alert from spring pick speaking telling that some rush trains are terminating at 63/Ashland and that mentioning extra service to Navy Pier fireworks. 

When I was southbound on the Red this afternoon [7/4/2017] I was on the west side of the train facing east.

I didn't know what caused us to run  on track 3 until later after I reached  my destination. I will say that our ride seemed to be very "jerky"  from Howard to Morse

and was really slow until we got onto track 2.

22 hours ago, jajuan said:

Yeah some of it is falling inward, but laws of physics still say some of the rubbish spillage would also be in the direction of CTA's embankment. You did get correct that there is potential for ground instability on the building site itself and near the embankment. There is also @Busjack's point about vibrations of trains so close to the building had the southbound tracks stayed in service. Either way that's not a "nothing to fuss about" situation by any means. Also any suits against an engineering firm inspecting the site would be unfounded because said firm would be inspecting the site to determine the safest way get the building stabilized and/or razed. So I'm not getting that direction of litigation from. Nor would CTA be responsible since its people were doing no work on or around the tracks that we know of until after getting word that the building partially collapsed. They definitely weren't there last night when I rode the train. If anything the building's owner(s) could possibly be cited for poor maintenance that may have potentially led to the roof collapse. So not seeing where you're getting CTA may still be party to litigation either outside of some scam artist putting forth bogus litigation claims. 

The point is if you are riding on a CTA train CTA is liable if you are injured, the engineering firm would say yes this is stable, so if you fell in Chins garage it's like me saying I fixed your brakes on your car and your car accidently drove off a cliff due to no brakes. Same scenario. CTA wouldn't be as liable but would still be responsible for accepting the all clear.

You know what's really nuts while everybody was dreaming of collapses, why in the world was Thorndale left open considering you have to go down the stairs below the tracks to exit and enter. If there was a collapse we might have possibly had an emergency excavation for buried alive customers. Plus who's to say those on the platform wouldn't end up riding down a collapse. (James Bond did that in one of his latest releases, but he lived. o.O Come to think of it so did the blues brothers!!xD)

So what happened now the structure is open? I can't get over there to find out.

17 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The point is if you are riding on a CTA train CTA is liable if you are injured, the engineering firm would say yes this is stable, so if you fell in Chins garage it's like me saying I fixed your brakes on your car and your car accidently drove off a cliff due to no brakes. Same scenario. CTA wouldn't be as liable but would still be responsible for accepting the all clear.

You know what's really nuts while everybody was dreaming of collapses, why in the world was Thorndale left open considering you have to go down the stairs below the tracks to exit and enter. If there was a collapse we might have possibly had an emergency excavation for buried alive customers. Plus who's to say those on the platform wouldn't end up riding down a collapse. (James Bond did that in one of his latest releases, but he lived. o.O Come to think of it so did the blues brothers!!xD)

So what happened now the structure is open? I can't get over there to find out.

Yeah and my point was CTA already took the precaution of moving trains to the tracks farthest away from the building collapse. So where would any liable on their part come from at that point? If there had been an incident after the engineering firm said yes things are stable enough for CTA to put its southbound tracks back in service, that would be on the engineering firm, not CTA especially when the Building and Fire Departments would also be involved in the decision to give an all clear. CTA uphold its legal responsibility by working with the relevant governing bodies to pass trains through safely. And let's not flip the cart before the horse. Yes someone could name CTA in a suit, but that's not the same thing as CTA being liable. That's simply being named in a suit. Remember being deemed liable is the end result judgment given by a court after looking at the presented evidence and agreeing that the side bringing the suit gave enough evidence to show legal liability on the part of the party being sued. Just being named in a suit doesn't instantly mean there's legal liability even on a smaller scale. That's unless you want to say CTA should second guess instructions and decisions from the Building and Fire Departments to avoid being named in a suit.

So you agree with me then!! :P Hey wait a minute first you say the engineering firm is not liable then you say you do. Ultimately any lawyer in their right mind would go after the fattest cat here and that's not the engineering firm. They could argue even though they accepted the all clear, CTA is still negligable for not getting a second opinion or some other loop hole they could use to their advantage.  Ultimately the engineers could be there own people. Same thing like say you rode in a NABI bus and it separated and you were doing a Fred Flintstone outside on LSD. NABI is at fault, but CTA is at fault because they allowed a faulty unsafe bus travel at the peril of it's customers.

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Ultimately any lawyer in their right mind would go after the fattest cat here and that's not the engineering firm.

If you are going there, engineering firms have malpractice insurance.

But, if anyone gets sued, everyone gets sued. As indicated in the breach of contract case, NABI sued to get paid, CTA counterclaimed, and then NABI brought in Detroit Diesel.

7/6/17 12:03p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red, Purple, Yellow

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays w/Suspension Of Service

Information: Yellow, Purple and Red Line trains are standing from Howard to Demptser-Skokie due to police activity.

Alternate Service: For alternate service through the affected area, consider using the #97 Skokie buses.

Rail Alert Red Line July 6, 2017.jpg

Rail Alert Purple Line July 6, 2017.jpg

Rail Alert Yellow Line July 6, 2017.jpg

On 7/5/2017 at 7:25 PM, BusHunter said:

So you agree with me then!! :P Hey wait a minute first you say the engineering firm is not liable then you say you do. Ultimately any lawyer in their right mind would go after the fattest cat here and that's not the engineering firm. They could argue even though they accepted the all clear, CTA is still negligable for not getting a second opinion or some other loop hole they could use to their advantage.  Ultimately the engineers could be there own people. Same thing like say you rode in a NABI bus and it separated and you were doing a Fred Flintstone outside on LSD. NABI is at fault, but CTA is at fault because they allowed a faulty unsafe bus travel at the peril of it's customers.

Read again. I consistently said the engineering firm would be more valid a target of liability claims if the go ahead was given and further collapse happened. But the point became moot once the go ahead was given to reopen the tracks later that night, and we've had a week of no further problems. And CTA could be sued, but that does NOT automatically mean they are culpable or negligent under the scenario as proposed. And just who do you expect them to get a second opinion from beyond the city's own folks who also would have signed off on an all clear when this incident fell under the city's jurisdiction to check out?

7/17/17 10:43p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green, Orange

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays

Information: 63rd-bound Green and Midway-bound Orange Line trains are standing near Roosevelt due to a mechanical problem on a train.

Alternate Service: Consider using #29 State and #62 Archer buses as an alternative to Green and Orange Line rail service.

Rail Alert Green Line July 17, 2017.jpg

Rail Alert Orange Line July 17, 2017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

8/2/17 9:57p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Orange

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Loop-bound trains are standing at Kedzie due to a mechanical problem on a train.

Alternate Service: Consider using #62 Archer buses as an alternative to Orange Line service.

Rail Alert Orange Line August 2, 2017.jpg