CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

Who knows what happened yesterday between a Brown Line and Purple line train? At the North/Halsted on the "S; curve (The news media saying it happened at Sedgewick, not accurate!)  Was it an actual collision?  If so, How does this happen??  Operator going through a block??  Inattentive operator?? 

As far as my point of view goes all I know is that the purple was stopped because of train traffic ahead with a purple at the station brown behind it and purple on S curve and brown behind it yes it was a 10-74 the brown line operator was given permission to proceed and go thru the rule R64 and then once he rounded the first corner boom slams into the back of purple which was car 5476 with brown head car 3390 the operator was going the normal speed as allowed and then apparently he saw the purple stopped but he couldn’t stop his train in time 

29 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

As far as my point of view goes all I know is that the purple was stopped because of train traffic ahead with a purple at the station brown behind it and purple on S curve and brown behind it yes it was a 10-74 the brown line operator was given permission to proceed and go thru the rule R64 and then once he rounded the first corner boom slams into the back of purple which was car 5476 with brown head car 3390 the operator was going the normal speed as allowed and then apparently he saw the purple stopped but he couldn’t stop his train in time 

I cant imagine a worse possible location to operate on sight.  They were very, very lucky there wasant a Lake/Wabash type event at that location!  An eight and a six car train on an active and busy "S" curve in morning rush  Wow!!!  

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

the brown line operator was given permission to proceed and go thru the rule R64 

There's no proof of that.  The operator claimed that he was given permission according to recordings of the radio transmissions after the accident but he could've just said that to avoid penalty.  There is no proof yet whether he was given permission or not.  I told you this on Facebook and you keep telling everyone fake facts.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Another Brown Line train rear ends a Purple Line train.  This one looks to have happened inbound after the S curve near North Avenue east of Halsted.   The other one I remember involved a curve around that church just south of Division.   What is baffling is me is every time I ride the trains, the cab signal never let's our train get close to the train ahead (outside of downtown).  The only 2 areas I have seen trains get close are the inner track at Clark and Lake where one train is in the station and a second train gets close because it had to clear Tower 18 junction.  The other place is at the end of a line where the first train ( a four car consist) is at the end of the platform and a second four car consist pulls into the station behind the first.  

Pure speculation but based on audio I heard, Control asked the Brown Line operator if he saw the other train  and he said he did.  Again pure speculation,  my theory is before he made the first curve before  crossing over North Ave, he saw the Purple Line train heading east.  I believe that an outbound train  came and passed the Purple Line and entered the curve, obstructing the view of the Brown Line  operator momentarily.   The obstruction was enough that the Brown Line operator didn't see that the Purple Line train was stopped.   According to him, his cab signal allowed him to proceed.  By the time he finished the final curve, there was the Purple Line train.   The sun shining in his face while in the last curve may have also contributed.  

Cab video will tell us a lot.  I haven't been on a Brown Line train for a while,  but I remember that curve being very noisy.  It's possible he mistook the high pitched beeping or missed it with the screaming noise of the shoe plates scraping the third rail.  In any case,  I bet CTA finds everything in working order on the Brown Line train and the operator gets disciplined. 

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

There's no proof of that.  The operator claimed that he was given permission according to recordings of the radio transmissions after the accident but he could've just said that to avoid penalty.  There is no proof yet whether he was given permission or not.  I told you this on Facebook and you keep telling everyone fake facts.

“My point of view” 

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

The punctuation keys are nice sometimes...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Trump/Pence.  They're protesting kids being separated from their families at the border and the way border patrol treats the kids.

Ok.  I've seen protesters blocking streets and buildings,  but I have never known them to disrupt rail service before.  It would seem like Trump Tower would be a more appropriate place for that particular protest.  Disrupting CTA service inconveniencing a largely majority democrat leaning constituency doesn't accomplish anything.  Not that a Trump Tower protest would accomplish anything, but that would more likely get his attention. 

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Ok.  I've seen protesters blocking streets and buildings,  but I have never known them to disrupt rail service before.  It would seem like Trump Tower would be a more appropriate place for that particular protest.  Disrupting CTA service inconveniencing a largely majority democrat leaning constituency doesn't accomplish anything.  Not that a Trump Tower protest would accomplish anything, but that would more likely get his attention. 

I do find it dumb to do it at Washington/Wabash.  Who's attention are you even getting?  The ones who already agree with you?  There's no point and they're just being annoying so to speak.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I do find it dumb to do it at Washington/Wabash.  Who's attention are you even getting?  The ones who already agree with you?  There's no point and they're just being annoying so to speak.

The protesting group’s goal is usually to end up on the news, thereby reaching a broad audience. Getting media coverage generally requires doing something moderately disruptive such as putting stickers on the train. This strategy probably attracts plenty of individuals who try to feel fulfilled by yelling at someone, which can certainly have some negative impact on their cause.

41 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The protesting group’s goal is usually to end up on the news, thereby reaching a broad audience. Getting media coverage generally requires doing something moderately disruptive such as putting stickers on the train. This strategy probably attracts plenty of individuals who try to feel fulfilled by yelling at someone, which can certainly have some negative impact on their cause.

My, how times have changed. In the 1990s ACT UP laid down in front of buses to garner attention. Now people deface the Santa's Elves train. 

9 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

My, how times have changed. In the 1990s ACT UP laid down in front of buses to garner attention. Now people deface the Santa's Elves train. 

The city used to charter buses on Saturdays to do tours of different neighborhoods.   One Saturday,  a man in a wheelchair handcuffed himself to the right side mirror of the bus. Most motorcoach mirrors are attached to the frame near the bottom right corner of the windshield.  Transit buses and some motorcoaches (Setra and Volvo 9700s and some VanHools have mirrors mounted from the top of the bus and hang down.  Anyway, this man handcuffs himself to the mirror arm so the bus couldn't move.  He had this planned out.   Even a news crew, I believe WGN,  showed up with cameras.  The purpose was to make these Saturday tours ADA accessible.   The city complied, but to my recollection,  bot one person used a wheelchair for the tours afterwards. 

The man ended the charade after the police came to remove him.   IIRC, they did arrest him, but I don't know what became of that arrest. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Well at least they all have Ventra cards!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TransitQueen22 said:

i took this 12/9 at 5:46PM. totally forgot to post it here. lots of interesting things i see on cta ln the daily.?

Based on that time,  it would seem that it was definitely a Blue Line train that originated from 54th Yard and started from Racine around 5p.m. and ended at Jefferson Park.

• 1 month later...

Right now there's a mechanical problem with an Orange Line train blocking Tower 12 at Van Buren and Wabash.   Green. Orange   Pink, and Brown Lines are affected.   Purple Line trains running through the Red Line subway from Fullerton to Roosevelt. 

IPDATE:  Trains are now running as of 710a with big delays.  Incident occurred around 6a this morning. 

35 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Right now there's a mechanical problem with an Orange Line train blocking Tower 17 at Van Buren and Wabash.   Green. Orange   Pink, and Brown Lines are affected.   Purple Line trains running through the Red Line subway from Fullerton to Roosevelt. 

IPDATE:  Trains are now running as of 710a with big delays.  Incident occurred around 6a this morning. 

Second time in less than a week at this location. Seems like something larger that needs to be fixed