CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

The Construction Report for the past couple of months has said that there is the Jackson Park Track and Structure Improvements project. Most of the track work was between 59th and 62nd, but they have moved on to structural work at 63rd and King Dr.

The wording of the alert made it seem like this was an unplanned event.  I was aware of the Improvements but I didn't recall seeing any planned closures.  

As of now, the Special Alert is no longer in effect.

7 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

A tweet I saw earlier said that it was due to a lack of operators.

I checked the tracker earlier this afternoon, and there seemed to be fewer trains than usual across all the lines.

Considering that this is Memorial day weekend I'm sure a lit of operators took off.  Factor in operator shortages, vacation time, COVID,  and the recent uptick in crime, we are fortunate to have any service at all.

Ironically the CTA and the City was promoting "Beefed up" service for this weekend, especially for the Crosstown Series at Sox Park on the Red and Green Lines .  

8 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

A tweet I saw earlier said that it was due to a lack of operators.

I checked the tracker earlier this afternoon, and there seemed to be fewer trains than usual across all the lines.

Is there anything to indicate that this is authoritative? It isn't from @cta, and it says 51st, not Garfield.

The guy describes himself as:

image.thumb.png.d7f6d5237254081592b700629708cfcf.png

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Is there anything to indicate that this is authoritative? It isn't from @cta, and it says 51st, not Garfield.

The guy describes himself as:

image.thumb.png.d7f6d5237254081592b700629708cfcf.png

The picture he took of the alert said Garfield     Apparently he doesn't travel south of Hyde Park. 

The initial alert was posted around 2:36p.m. Saturday May 28, so it didn't seem like a planned service disruption.  Historically most construction projects take the Memorial weekend off. We will see if CTA ever gives a reason for the reroute 

Also odd that @Erin Mishkin Jr.stated there was a similar event Friday May 27th.

as of 2:17pm 5/29/22

Green Line service has been temporarily suspended between Garfield and Cottage Grove.
As a result, Green Line trains are operating only between Harlem and Ashland/63rd at this time.
Shuttle buses and a shuttle train will be available between Garfield and Cottage Grove to provide connecting service.

At this time, also consider other service alternatives that may serve your trip, such as nearby bus routes, or using buses to other rail lines.
See station personnel for further assistance, and pay attention to announcements on trains and at stations for service information.
We are working to restore service as quickly as possible. Allow extra travel time.

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Green Line service has been temporarily suspended between Garfield and Cottage Grove.
As a result, Green Line trains are operating only between Harlem and Ashland/63rd at this time.
Shuttle buses and a shuttle train will be available between Garfield and Cottage Grove to provide connecting service.

At this time, also consider other service alternatives that may serve your trip, such as nearby bus routes, or using buses to other rail lines.
See station personnel for further assistance, and pay attention to announcements on trains and at stations for service information.
We are working to restore service as quickly as possible. Allow extra travel time.

I guess branch riders aren't entitled to advanced notice so that they can actually plan a trip.

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

In short, nothing new. It isn't like a train derailed or something.

4th day in a row

Green Line service has been temporarily suspended between Garfield and Cottage Grove. As a result, Green Line trains are operating only between Harlem and Ashland/63rd at this time.

Shuttle buses and a shuttle train will be available between Garfield and Cottage Grove to provide connecting service.

9 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

4th day in a row

Green Line service has been temporarily suspended between Garfield and Cottage Grove. As a result, Green Line trains are operating only between Harlem and Ashland/63rd at this time.

Shuttle buses and a shuttle train will be available between Garfield and Cottage Grove to provide connecting service.

Usually the alert appeared at the top of the homepage.  This time you have to go to the Green Line alerts to find it today.  Unlike the other says, today's alert made no mention of a shuttle train.  Today's alert posted at 9:19A.  The other days had afternoon post times.

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Usually the alert appeared at the top of the homepage.  This time you have to go to the Green Line alerts to find it today.  Unlike the other says, today's alert made no mention of a shuttle train.  Today's alert posted at 9:19A.  The other days had afternoon post times.

The shuttle train and shuttle bus were mentioned again today.

The heading on today's customer alert is SERVICE CHANGE, so whatever the cause, service is not returning soon.

On 5/30/2022 at 10:13 AM, Busjack said:

The shuttle train and shuttle bus were mentioned again today.

The heading on today's customer alert is SERVICE CHANGE, so whatever the cause, service is not returning soon.

This weekend bus shuttles will run between Roosevelt and Bronzeville 35th IIT supposedly because of some construction near CTA tracks.  Get ready Green Line riders to be mad again.   At least there will be trains to Cottage Grove  

From knowledgeable sources - East 63rd is bussed when not enough operators left to run better than 15 minute headway on main route. Bus side still capable of coming up with a couple of buses for shuttles by stealing off other routes like King or Cottage, but rail is in very, very bad shape. Current goal is to run a minimum of 15 minute intervals all day. East 63rd easer to bus than West 63rd so it is sacrificed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

From knowledgeable sources - East 63rd is bussed when not enough operators left to run better than 15 minute headway on main route. Bus side still capable of coming up with a couple of buses for shuttles by stealing off other routes like King or Cottage, but rail is in very, very bad shape. Current goal is to run a minimum of 15 minute intervals all day. East 63rd easer to bus than West 63rd so it is sacrificed.

I thought each operator did both branches?  If an operator starts at a branch going to Harlem, his return trip was to the opposite branch.  If an operator started at Harlem his first trip was to a branch.  Once back at Harlem,  that operator had a trip to the other branch. Missing operators would have an effect on the entire line right?

25 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I thought each operator did both branches?  If an operator starts at a branch going to Harlem, his return trip was to the opposite branch.  If an operator started at Harlem his first trip was to a branch.  Once back at Harlem,  that operator had a trip to the other branch. Missing operators would have an effect on the entire line right?

Not scheduled to run on both branches if the schedule is changed to run essentially what was A trains. The report above indicated that frequency was reduced on the whole line.

Note that the alerts didn't say that certain trains terminated at Garfield, just to transfer to shuttles at Garfield to go to Cottage Grove.

22 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

See thats where it gets all messed up at

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Apparently non-alert. CTA cut power to the Blue Line to search for person on tracks, leaving passengers to swelter; customer service apparently didn't know what was happening (Sun-Times).

the blue line has been having delays since early this morning all the way up to noon maybe it was insane delay after delay maybe 30mins-1hr apart 

• 7 months later...

It's not on the CTA website yet because it's just occurring. But trains are being rerouted around the outer tracks along the Loop because of an unknown medical emergency on a train on the inner tracks. I just had to leave a Pink Line train and switch to a rerouted Orange Line train to get to my downtown stop.

• garmon757 featured this topic
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

CTA rail lines are a mess right now besides purple and yellow line trains 

(Pink/Green/Orange/Brown) Clark/Lake: Unauthorized person on tracks service down

Red Line: Person shot on northbound train at cermak (suspect in custody)

Blue Line: Suspended between ohare and addison due to track conditions 

Glad I got through before everything jumped off 

I said the emergency track conditions would probably be on the O'Hare branch.   I said between O'Hare and Roosevelt  but Addison?  Wow.  I guess an emergency pick is needed.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

All drivers @YoungBusLover & others becareful on yall routes I'm sitting at Pulaski & kinzie viaduct flooded waiting for the supervisor to come out & turn us around Cicero flood at lake & I know spots on 79th etc most likely flooded

Also reported that due to flooding, the Blue Line was closed west of UIC and the Pink west of Pulaski.