CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

• 2 months later...

I guess earlier a train derailed near Hiwatd.  Red Line service operated between 85th and Belmont only.  Purple Line service operated between South BlvdBlvd and Central.   Yellow Line service was suspended.   I think everything is back to normal now.

Why would Red Line service be curtailed all the way to Belmont if the derailment happened near Howard?  I didn't know whether the derailment occurred north or south of the station.  My guess would be South,  but I don't know. 

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I guess earlier a train derailed near Hiwatd.  Red Line service operated between 85th and Belmont only.  Purple Line service operated between South BlvdBlvd and Central.   Yellow Line service was suspended.   I think everything is back to normal now.

Why would Red Line service be curtailed all the way to Belmont if the derailment happened near Howard?  I didn't know whether the derailment occurred north or south of the station.  My guess would be South,  but I don't know. 

@artthouwill if you look at my post in the Random CTA thread it might explain the Belmont issue. I believe I was on that train [I got off at Wilson and took the Purple though].

The Red Line train I was on initially likely went on from Wilson and subsequently had problems at Belmont.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

the derailment was yesterday i have video of it and a NB train derailed at the switch right before entering howard on track 1 5519-5520 were the incident cars and they were towed by 5303-5304 to skokie shops

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

the derailment was yesterday i have video of it and a NB train derailed at the switch right before entering howard on track 1 5519-5520 were the incident cars and they were towed by 5303-5304 to skokie shops

It showed up in my newsfeed today.  That explains @geneking7320-s post. it doesn't explain why Red Line service operated between 95th and Belmont  as opposed to Wilson or Loyola.  

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It showed up in my newsfeed today.  That explains @geneking7320-s post. it doesn't explain why Red Line service operated between 95th and Belmont  as opposed to Wilson or Loyola.  

if anything it probably has to do with the clark tower because they can switch train from north to south there much faster instead of having to do it manually at granville 

they can’t do wilson those signals have black tarp over them because they will be removed soon and replaced 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The entire Pink Line? Just because of Cicero/Cermak? I know Crowntown and Kingland have been active recently, but did they really need to shut the entire Pink Line down?

Maybe they felt running trains from Pulasi to Western (5 stations) wasn't worth it, considering that the 21 runs parallel with the Pink Line.  That bus route isn't going past Western either, so just eliminate the duplication .  Besides, who will pay $2.75 to ride a train when the parallel bus route is FREE?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Maybe they felt running trains from Pulasi to Western (5 stations) wasn't worth it, considering that the 21 runs parallel with the Pink Line.  That bus route isn't going past Western either, so just eliminate the duplication .  Besides, who will pay $2.75 to ride a train when the parallel bus route is FREE?

Totally forgot about it ending at Western. There’s no guarantee however, the 21 (and for that matter, the 18, 35, 54, 54B and 60) are even running their full routes

Things may get back to normal tomorrow. They are lowering the chicago river bridges downtown, the exit ramps on the expressways are opening. Cta says it's going to resume service with a couple snags still. Tomorrow sounds like the big chicago dress rehearsal. Tonight was pretty quiet as far as looting. If only we can get through tomorrow we may get back on the right path. 

15 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Things may get back to normal tomorrow. They are lowering the chicago river bridges downtown, the exit ramps on the expressways are opening. Cta says it's going to resume service with a couple snags still. Tomorrow sounds like the big chicago dress rehearsal. Tonight was pretty quiet as far as looting. If only we can get through tomorrow we may get back on the right path. 

Still a few rail closures like Clark/Lake upper and lower, State/Lake upper and lower, Jackson, Grand and Chicago (Red) Probably some like Clark/Lake are due to damage at street level stations. Don't know about the other ones but they were in ground zero territory. Trains are running. Still talking about a curfew tonight.

1 hour ago, geneking7320 said:

This reminds me of when a Yellow Line operator got 'branched'. I think that incident occurred in or near that part of the route.

Maybe the trees and shrubbery need to be better manicured.

The question would be who is responsible for that?  Is it Skokie or CTA? Or is it the responsibility if a private owner?  Is the tree line or shrubbery part of the r.o.w?

Since this was in the daytime,  how much responsibility does the operator bear?  Could he have seen an obstruction on the tracks in time to stop? Did he misjudge the size of the object?

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The question would be who is responsible for that?  Is it Skokie or CTA? Or is it the responsibility if a private owner?  Is the tree line or shrubbery part of the r.o.w?

Since this was in the daytime,  how much responsibility does the operator bear?  Could he have seen an obstruction on the tracks in time to stop? Did he misjudge the size of the object?

96459588-2B7A-408C-BC09-B58BE3E5875F.jpeg

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Nobody is responsible it's an act of nature. I'm sure speed limits on that set of tracks was high and with a curve creating an obstruction nobody could see the impending crisis. 

4 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

96459588-2B7A-408C-BC09-B58BE3E5875F.jpeg

In this picture, it looks like some of the lights and signs on the train are still lit up.  Are all those people hanging around on the tracks with live power still going to the third rail?  Or is there a battery on the train to keep the lights going?

2 hours ago, Smolensk said:

In this picture, it looks like some of the lights and signs on the train are still lit up.  Are all those people hanging around on the tracks with live power still going to the third rail?  Or is there a battery on the train to keep the lights going?

Its the battery they then shut the power off thats like when the green line derailed last year at 46th we was up on yhe tracks dead rail but the battery on the train kept the lights running 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smolensk said:

power was removed battery kept the lights running 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Smolensk said:

Yeah there’s a battery for when there’s no third rail power. When the front car of the Blue Line train went up the escalator its front lights were still on. The marker lights and run number box were still lit after it stopped, and the headlights would probably have still been on if they hadn’t sustained damage in the crash.

The battery also provides power for some of the interior lights to remain on. On the 2400s and 2600s, it’s the two lights in the light arch immediately next to the doors.

8A786C0E-32CD-49CD-80D4-CCBB210C9BDC.jpeg

F275EDED-9CC7-47A7-B42A-5ADB2E50A98F.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...