CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, richii0909 said:

Any one know what happened yesterday in the loop with all the reroutes? Pink line was no where to be found, red line was above ground, and to go from washington/wabash to clinton on a harlem train took 25 minutes. It was chaos yesterday, the conductor was fighting back with people over the PA system.

That first part leads me to believe that there was probably signalling issues between Polk & Clinton on the Pink line, which would've also delayed the Green line, although news sources are turning up nothing. Red Line above ground, headed outbound towards Ashland has been in place for a while. Headed outbound towards Howard, @ThirdRailVision might know more.

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Service on Red Line only operating between 95th and Belmont.  Yellow Line service suspended.  Purple Line trains operating with delays.  An incident with a train due to switching issues occurred at Howard . Supposedly that train did not derail.

Nowhere on the NSML to turn trains between Belmont & Howard? This is a bad time to have all the artics grounded.

53 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Nowhere on the NSML to turn trains between Belmont & Howard? This is a bad time to have all the artics grounded.

I think that has more to do with the power grid.  There's at least 2 sets of crossovers, at Wilson and near Granville.  The power grid probably extends to Belmont.  That's probably why the trains were turned at Belmont and not further north.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Another train derails at O’Hare. Some reports are saying the train hit the platform, but details are not yet available. The incident was described as “relatively minor”, so I don’t think the train went up the escalator.

When I was young, it was the Green line that had all the incidents like this. 10 years later and it feels like every 1-3 weeks, I hear about some accident on the blue line. Its never on the Congress branch either

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

They updated the story I linked in my prior post with more details and a video, which shows that the first car came off the track and ended up diagonally across both tracks. There's no word on the cause yet.

Sounds like the first truck either cleared the switched and backed onto it after it switched. Or the switch switched between trucks but they are controlled switches, so I dont see how the 2nd option is possible. I have the forest pk switch derailment with the 2200s on my youtube. Thought that switched mid train so maybe it is possible. There were reports at ohare of the train backing up. Like the operator may have sensed something was wrong but once you've entered the switch you are dedicated and cant undo what you did. 

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Sounds like the first truck either cleared the switched and backed onto it after it switched. Or the switch switched between trucks but they are controlled switches, so I dont see how the 2nd option is possible. I have the forest pk switch derailment with the 2200s on my youtube. Thought that switched mid train so maybe it is possible. There were reports at ohare of the train backing up. Like the operator may have sensed something was wrong but once you've entered the switch you are dedicated and cant undo what you did. 

Looking at the CBS News video again, it was actually the last car (not the first) that derailed, based on the red marker lights shown in the image at the beginning of the video. Where did you hear that the train was backing up?

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

True.  Amazing the entire SSM ha no service because of this.  Also  amazing that people don't think the SSM needs track work. 

I feel like I hear about a derailment once a year, and ever other year, its the Green Line on the SSM. Anyone know where a list of derailments would be found?

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2018 at 5:17 PM, Busjack said:

Cruising around the Developer Center* I discovered that not only is Tracker data available for developers, but so is the Customer Alerts API. So, I guess those of you who relied on this dead method of finding medical emergencies, can develop an app or find one.

Bus Jack I hope all is well with you. Haven't heard from you in quite sometime. 

• 2 months later...

Who knows what happened yesterday between a Brown Line and Purple line train? At the North/Halsted on the "S; curve (The news media saying it happened at Sedgewick, not accurate!)  Was it an actual collision?  If so, How does this happen??  Operator going through a block??  Inattentive operator??