2011 Electric Bus Procurement

Busjack

NABI's not making any all electric buses. Maybe New Flyer or Nova, but not NABI.

I think he gets that hence why he said imagine if it were the case. But yeah since the issue was a structural one and not engine related CTA probably still would have been in a jam had the NABIs been eletric rather than diesel since that doesn't solve the structural issue. Ay any rate, any time frame again on when CTA might see the all electric buses?

I think he gets that hence why he said imagine if it were the case. But yeah since the issue was a structural one and not engine related CTA probably still would have been in a jam had the NABIs been eletric rather than diesel since that doesn't solve the structural issue. Ay any rate, any time frame again on when CTA might see the all electric buses?

Late 2013, as far as where they might go, these buses are going to be the same as the plug-in hybrids, so I guess that cancels out a few garages. According to what New Flyer says, they intend to test these out of service for a while before actually putting them in service. They are testing them for 2 years. Then they are gone. (or so they say, I believe the #800's and #900's were spoken of the same way and they live on, it all depends how successful they are) Hopefully we'll see the Xcelsiors longer than that, especially if we don't get anymore. These buses remind me of the ballard buses, the public didn't see them for awhile. Then they ran in limited service. They truly are test buses.

Late next year from what I remember hearing.

Late 2013, as far as where they might go, these buses are going to be the same as the plug-in hybrids, so I guess that cancels out a few garages. According to what New Flyer says, they intend to test these out of service for a while before actually putting them in service. They are testing them for 2 years. Then they are gone. (or so they say, I believe the #800's and #900's were spoken of the same way and they live on, it all depends how successful they are) Hopefully we'll see the Xcelsiors longer than that, especially if we don't get anymore. These buses remind me of the ballard buses, the public didn't see them for awhile. Then they ran in limited service. They truly are test buses.

I don't recall anyone ever saying the 800s or 900s were only going to run for two years.

I believe it was in the original press release. (This was more experimental 6 years ago than it is today) There is a press release here, from ABC news, but they refer to it as a one year experiment.

I'm not sure that means "test and junk" them. The interpretation given to that (at least when the 150 artics were ordered) was "the Allisons appeared to pass."

Now that you mention it, my reaction to "the series ones didn't" implication posted in this forum from ordered parallels was that a year had not passed before the 150 artics were ordered.

But, at least you found the source, and the press on the electrics implies to me that they are more like the fuel cell test buses.

Hopefully they can get some more Xcelsiors in this 40/60 bid, if New Flyer wins. (They probably will win.) Then they could have 3 different looking buses from NF in abundance. The Seattle 100,the XE Xcelsior, and the current model. The only thing I don't like about the Xcelsior is if you look at the interior one of the stairs to the back of the bus is cut on an angle. I don't know if that would be a hazard or not.

I Ctually love the way that rear step is cut. It adds a little more space back there. The are my favorite buses in the MTA fleet next to the RTS.

NABI's not making any all electric buses. Maybe New Flyer or Nova, but not NABI.

Millennium Transit is set to announce an all electric RTS Extreme in the very near future.

• Upvote 1

Any chance Millenium Transit buses make it to the CTA (or even Pace) in the future? Didn't realize they have come back into the bus industry.

Most definitely. There will be about 5 different engineering demos that will circle North America within the next 3 years if all goes as planned.

http://millenniumtransit.com/

Any chance Millenium Transit buses make it to the CTA (or even Pace) in the future? Didn't realize they have come back into the bus industry.

That has been posted in this forum several times, but, especially since they punted the NJT order, there is a question whether they could meet qualifications.

That was last mentioned here. Apparently East NY is more interested in imaginary buses than CTA should be. Let us know when Millenium can get a performance bond.

There will be about 5 different engineering demos that will circle North America within the next 3 years if all goes as planned.

Engineering demos are not going to qualify for this RFP.

That has been posted in this forum several times, but, especially since they punted the NJT order, there is a question whether they could meet qualifications.

That was last mentioned here. Apparently East NY is more interested in imaginary buses than CTA should be. Let us know when Millenium can get a performance bond.

Engineering demos are not going to qualify for this RFP.

You dont have to be nasty about all this my man. Im just stating the facts. And FYI, MTS has no problem getting a Performance bond. Nothing imaginary about anything I said. Im a Transit Systems Engineer & Consultant. This is what I do, and I absolutely love what I do. No need to grandstand or make false claims like im some RTS-Happy foamer. I get regular briefs on the operations of all the bus manufactures, suppliers, and major transit agencies. I have also consulted with most of them.

And once again, MTS did not screw up the NJT order. If that was the case, they wouldnt want 150 high floor express buses right now. Remember when the CTA NFI order was deferred because of a lack of funds? Same thing at NJT, and all the buses were sold to other agencies. NJT even admitted they,wish,they could have taken delivery of all the buses. They have been evaluating them at the other agencies since they were deferred, and now realize that they should have never ended up going with NABI when the financials got in order.

If you are going to come for me, please come correct. Im only here to share info, which is not an obligation. I just know most of you all are interested,in,the same things I am, otherwise you wouldnt be here. Good day sir!

• Upvote 4

I'm not sure that means "test and junk" them. The interpretation given to that (at least when the 150 artics were ordered) was "the Allisons appeared to pass."

Now that you mention it, my reaction to "the series ones didn't" implication posted in this forum from ordered parallels was that a year had not passed before the 150 artics were ordered.

But, at least you found the source, and the press on the electrics implies to me that they are more like the fuel cell test buses.

I remember seeing somewhere a #900 was set off somewhere for an outside test. As far as the 2 Xcelsiors, if they are successful they could stay on longer. I guess we'll be seeing how good the engineering is at New Flyer.

I remember seeing somewhere a #900 was set off somewhere for an outside test. As far as the 2 Xcelsiors, if they are successful they could stay on longer. I guess we'll be seeing how good the engineering is at New Flyer.

From what I have seen, read, and heard they are great! Im not sure if NFI has released the specs yet, so I wont say anything. As a major fan, and daily rider of their buses, I can say I can't wait to take trip to Chicago when you get them. The fact that they are Xcelsiors makes it all the better.

Interesting. From what I've heard in speaking with a few folks from transit agencies who do operate the Xcelsior, they are not very well-made buses.

Probably no bus is. :lol:

From NF's site, apparently they serve the RTS lover's desire for a bus with a fiberglass exterior, and they claim that their hybrid gets better fuel mileage than other hybrids.*

And, in prior comments, I might have gotten it confused with the Invero, which didn't get much U.S. business.

Update: The real source that they will be Xcelsiors is the NF press release:

The battery-electric propulsion system builds on New Flyer's successful advanced, light weight Xcelsior model 40-foot transit bus,

_________

*Click Altoona reports, and then click on the graph.

Interesting. From what I've heard in speaking with a few folks from transit agencies who do operate the Xcelsior, they are not very well-made buses.

Even though I love the bus, I isn't built for the midwest or east coast in my opinion. Yeah, it may be the most fuel efficient option, but that is because the bus is so light in weight because its not a stainless structure, the floor is composite, and there is a lot of plastic. Quite a few agencies have been having electrical issues, and a few other build quality issues. The bus has major potential as long as a few key issues are addressed. Between 2015 & 2017 we will be able to see how well the buses are doing as the first of them will be reaching the 6 year mark.

• 4 months later...

Well here we are in January 2013, still waiting on those two Electric Test Buses from New Flyer. They should be arriving sometime this month or next month, since the news article from New Flyer here says they want to test these buses in both cold and hot weather conditions. This is the model Xcelsior they'll be built on, how it might differ, we'll just have to wait and see. I wonder what numbers they'll be given since they're just two prototypes.

New Flyer Xcelsior CTA Livery.bmp

• 7 months later...

September begins the late 2013 period, so I'd look for the two Electric New Flyer XE40LF buses to be delivered sometime soon for testing to begin. I can't imagine what garage or route(s) they would put them on.

I still claim it only makes sense on a downtown shuttle; maybe they can put a charging station under Wacker Drive. Certainly doesn't make any sense for an express route.

I hadn't looked at this thread in a while.

I'm curious will actually have a bus without gray "rocker panels".

Depends if the specs are for a standard CTA paint job, in which case you know the answer.