New 31st Street Route

BusExpert32

There is an organization with a facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/CTA-31-31st-Street-Bus/163191144861) that's intent on getting a new 31st Street Route by Fall 2011. Could this happen? Bigger question: would it resurrect a respectable number 6000 Flxibles?

There isn't funding for it.

The Flx #6000s are gone! Theyre not coming back into CTA service. Most by now have met the scrapper.

Yes a good deal of the 6000s are in bus heaven, those that haven't gotten new life in other organizations spoken of on this forum or other sites at any rate. With the service cuts of last year well past a point of not getting reversed, there would be no incentive for CTA to do anything with them other than to send them to be shredded.

Yes a good deal of the 6000s are in bus heaven, those that haven't gotten new life in other organizations spoken of on this forum or other sites at any rate. With the service cuts of last year well past a point of not getting reversed, there would be no incentive for CTA to do anything with them other than to send them to be shredded.

Thankfully a few still exist as CTA workbuses, three to the Chicago Fire dept. and as of right now, one (#6127) to the new Food Desert Action group! The FDA group is in the process of aquiring more buses to expand its operation. Dont know at this me if it will be more Flxibles. Ill keep everyone informed.

I don't know why this thread was resurrected, but I refer readers to the thread where the "sale of 120 scrap buses" was discussed.

Im wondering if any of the Flx #6305-6329 series buses were salvaged. With the Food Desert Action organizationg looking for another vehicle, it would be nice to find out if one of these buses became the next "Fresh Moves" bus.

• 3 months later...

I know I said I wouldn't post for two weeks, but I couldn't help myself. I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT - AND N O FOREKNOWLEDGE OF IT:

http://www.chicagono...uld-mean-green/

Even though Mike thinks that the Metra thread is the private domain of racial grievances, that post belongs here.

Notwithstanding any supposed merit to the route, it is clear that so long as CTA had to cut service in 2010, and may have to cut service in 2012, there doesn't seem any justification for adding routes, even if CTA could demonstrate that it got a JARC grant specifically only for this. Notwithstanding what any blogger with a cause asserts on Chicago Now.

• 10 months later...

A CTA press release states that they got a JARC grant to extend 35 via 31st. Looks like the first break since the 2010 cuts.

It also pays some tribute to connectivity by saying it will run to the Cicero-24 loop.

At least the release says what's the cost involved.

Well, I'll ask it again, how many buses would this new service require? And would this mean a decent amount of Flxibles will be returned to service? Or will the current fleet just cover it, since they're not getting any new buses this fall?

Well, I'll ask it again, how many buses would this new service require? And would this mean a decent amount of Flxibles will be returned to service? Or will the current fleet just cover it, since they're not getting any new buses this fall?

Well have to wait until the schedule is posted, but I bet 2 buses. Maybe 4.

According to the current schedule, it takes 6 buses to cover the existing route 35.

Well have to wait until the schedule is posted, but I bet 2 buses. Maybe 4.

2-4 isn't much, so it's tough to tell beforehand what they'll do to cover the route.

According to the current schedule, it takes 6 buses to cover the existing route 35.

From looking at the p.m. rush hour portion, I would say 7.

2-4 isn't much, so it's tough to tell beforehand what they'll do to cover the route.

From looking at the p.m. rush hour portion, I would say 7.

Still not enough to get the flxibles. At most in both rush hours, 7 would be needed currently. The extension would add at most 3 or 4 (as noted earlier).

The Flxibles are dead. Done for. Not coming back. Period.

Agreed. I really don't see why after two and a half years folks want to keep bringing up the possibility they will magically reappear whenever proposals for service expansion arise. If anything it would be something else that would see use from the 500-plus total buses, up to 200 of which could be artics, between the order set to start coming late this year into next and the 425 combo 40-foot/artic order that's yet to be awarded to a manufacturer that CTA wants to bring in to replace the NOVAs and Optimas. They're not going to dump money into resurrecting buses thsat have been sidelined for two and a half years when they're just getting enough money together for more than 500 new ones.

Agreed. I really don't see why after two and a half years folks want to keep bringing up the possibility they will magically reappear whenever proposals for service expansion arise. If anything it would be something else that would see use from the 500-plus total buses, up to 200 of which could be artics, between the order set to start coming late this year into next and the 425 combo 40-foot/artic order that's yet to be awarded to a manufacturer that CTA wants to bring in to replace the NOVAs and Optimas. They're not going to dump money into resurrecting buses thsat have been sidelined for two and a half years when they're just getting enough money together for more than 500 new ones.

I was talking about this route 35 extension coming in September, which is before the new artics arrive, so my Flxible inquiry wasn't off base, and they still have many 6000s sitting around.

To add in a sense it is a resurrection of #35 service through that corridor from the past that was fated to become the former 32 West 31st route in 1993 and die in the BoozAllen round of CTA cuts due to low ridership. At that time for members who weren't in Chicago then, the service was rush hour only operated via 35th (starting at Cottage Grove when it was still part of route #35 service, starting from 35th/Archer Orange line station when it became the separate #32 route), California (instead of the current proposed Kedzie) and 31st street and terminated at 31st/Kostner if I'm remember that right. Now in this incarnation, in addition to the operation further west to the 24th Place/Cicero terminal with the 54 and 60, the service apparently now would be operating during all hours of normal #35 service which currently is daily between 4AM and 12:30AM. What a difference almost a decade and a half apparently makes.

To add in a sense it is a resurrection of #35 service through that corridor from the past that was fated to become the former 32 West 31st route in 1993 and die in the BoozAllen round of CTA cuts due to low ridership. At that time for members who weren't in Chicago then, the service was rush hour only operated via 35th (starting at Cottage Grove when it was still part of route #35 service, starting from 35th/Archer Orange line station when it became the separate #32 route), California (instead of the current proposed Kedzie) and 31st street and terminated at 31st/Kostner if I'm remember that right. Now in this incarnation, in addition to the operation further west to the 24th Place/Cicero terminal with the 54 and 60, the service apparently now would be operating during all hours of normal #35 service which currently is daily between 4AM and 12:30AM. What a difference almost a decade and a half apparently makes.

Actually, the portion on 31st and Cicero will only run from 5AM to 8PM daily. And during off-peak periods, some #35 runs will be turned back east at the current 36th/Kedzie west terminal.

Actually, the portion on 31st and Cicero will only run from 5AM to 8PM daily. And during off-peak periods, some #35 runs will be turned back east at the current 36th/Kedzie west terminal.

Thanks for the clarification. I forgot that detail, but still a big expansion over the rush hour only every half hour service of the past nonetheless.

Thanks for the clarification. I forgot that detail, but still a big expansion over the rush hour only every half hour service of the past nonetheless.

Back in the day, it seemed like ridership was kind of down on the west segment of 31st. I'm surprised they brought it back, (especially in the non-rush) but it's just experimental so far for 6 months, so even CTA doesn't seem sure if they'll keep it or not. I myself wonder why they just don't extend it to Cermak/Cicero so it can transfer to the #21 for additional WB service. Also it couldn't hurt to have additional connections on Cicero for those travelling South. Since the 2009 cuts, the #54B runs not so great, especially on Fridays.

Back in the day, it seemed like ridership was kind of down on the west segment of 31st. I'm surprised they brought it back, (especially in the non-rush) but it's just experimental so far for 6 months, so even CTA doesn't seem sure if they'll keep it or not. I myself wonder why they just don't extend it to Cermak/Cicero so it can transfer to the #21 for additional WB service. Also it couldn't hurt to have additional connections on Cicero for those travelling South. Since the 2009 cuts, the #54B runs not so great, especially on Fridays.

Well I gather that they're terminating it at Cicero/24th Place because they already have an established off-street terminal there that they can use for layovers and make easy turn-arounds. As for connections south, the bus stop for the 54B is right near the bus terminal. Plus that extension passes the 31st/Komensky terminal, so it could easily connect with 53A buses as it does.