New 31st Street Route

BusExpert32

A little off subject for the topic, but word has it they are also looking to:

1- Eliminate owl service on the 151 Sheridan route due to low ridership.

2- Eliminate the N201 owl service due to low ridership.

3- Reinstate owl service on the 72 North Avenue route to do ridership demand.

BusTracker already has alerts for some schedule changes, although no longer on the alerts page i.e.:

• 77 Owl to Harlem instead of Central. The schedule has been updated to say that the terminal is Octavia (effective June 17).
  • 80 frequency reduced (also effective June 17).

Basically, with 151 the question is whether owl is needed with parallel Red Line service (apparently wasn't north of Foster to begin with) and N201 is whether CTA should be running a bus for Evanston Hospital night shift, or they can afford their own shuttle.

2 things I can truly speak on based on the word at Kedzie

1. The night owl service for 72 North is expected to instated by winter because there is some (really low so we right back to the elimination point ) ridership between Pulaski to Narragansett and Pulaski and Clark (the target point) . I persomally think that extendning service until late evening ( say around 00:00 to 01:00 hrs) would cover this. Just saying in a personal opinion .

2. The N151 could be eliminated due to low ridership because the Red Line is so congruent to it it not funny. But it could stay on providing that if some ridership could occur. Service span could be covered by 4 to 5 buses. Instead of 7 to 8 that North Park dispatches .

Ontopic about the 31st service reincarnation : somebody said service would covered by two garages. 77th said that it would cover the service because Kedzie wasn't supplying anymore night owl routes (after Archer's closure Kedzie adopted the 21,60 and the N60) and I doubt 74th will bid on picking up service for the route.

Sidenote about the N201 : its only two buses being used on that route cta could use N22 block runs and send them up there between trips.

There is an organization with a facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/CTA-31-31st-Street-Bus/163191144861) that's intent on getting a new 31st Street Route by Fall 2011. Could this happen? Bigger question: would it resurrect a respectable number of 6000 Flxibles?

A CTA press release states that they got a JARC grant to extend 35 via 31st. Looks like the first break since the 2010 cuts.

It also pays some tribute to connectivity by saying it will run to the Cicero-24 loop.

At least the release says what's the cost involved.

Personally I don't see this experiment lasting long, especially with the #60 1/2 mile to the north and 53/53A on 31st between Pulaski and Komensky.

With this extension, we can expect the extended #35 to be operated out of two garages. Currently, all runs on the #35 are out of 77th Garage.

It is possible the entire route could be shifted to Kedzie considering the garage is on Kedzie and is a straight shot. The frequency is too low (12 minutes rush and 20 minutes off peak) now to justify a two garage system for this route.

I don't see a complete elimination of the 151 owl service, but perhaps scaled back to Belmont. The 151 is a safer alternative for N Michigan Ave and N Lake Shore and lakefront Lincoln Park riders as opposed to the Red Line, but north of that the Red Line is sufficient. Note that the 22 also parallels the Red Line.

I believe the 72 should have owl service. Basically there is no owl service between Chicago Ave and Belmont, a 3 mile stretch well within the city. Owl service on North Ave cuts this down to 2 miles. The question is how far down North will the owl service go? I actually would like to see the entire route have owl service, but I imagine that Narragansett might be the terminus for that.

It is possible the entire route could be shifted to Kedzie considering the garage is on Kedzie and is a straight shot. The frequency is too low (12 minutes rush and 20 minutes off peak) now to justify a two garage system for this route.

I agree with you tha splitting this route between two garages after the extension is probably a stretch, but what buses and what manpower would you be able to use to assign this route at Kedzie? That garage is already sharing a good portion of its assigned routes with other garages to help in maintaining what Lake Shore express, various neighborhood and downtown/Metra shuttle routes it had along with gaining the 21, 60, and 62 when Archer closed.

• All CTA restructurings start as an experiment, so they don't have to do a public hearing if it fails; instead they do a public hearing to ratify the change. Remember that the North Lake Shore Drive restructuring went through several experiments, such as when they decided to try 148.
  • The supposed justification for West 31st is that the Little Village area has had a population explosion. The last time around it couldn't support service, but maybe the experiment will prove differently.
  • At the time of the 2010 cuts, K was listed as serving 35, apparently one run starting at 36-Kedzie, while the rest were out of 77 starting at 36-Cottage. That isn't reflected on the Garages page now, so that run must have changed, although the 04:00 and 04:30 trips start at Kedzie. 77 was supposedly the main garage because it could allow relief via the Red Line, but one will have to wonder what they'll do next year.
  • art seems to cover N72 and N151 adequately.

2. The N151 could be eliminated due to low ridership because the Red Line is so congruent to it it not funny. But it could stay on providing that if some ridership could occur. Service span could be covered by 4 to 5 buses. Instead of 7 to 8 that North Park dispatches .

The N151 only uses four buses during the overnight period.

With this extension, we can expect the extended #35 to be operated out of two garages. Currently, all runs on the #35 are out of 77th Garage.

Could be possible that new #35 Extension only if Trips ends or start at 24th/Cicero could be operated out of Kedzie, which is closer than 77th and 74th.

Could be possible that new #35 Extension only if Trips ends or start at 24th/Cicero could be operated out of Kedzie, which is closer than 77th and 74th.

Makes sense, except for jajuan's "it's already full" point, but when you put it that way, some 54Bs come out of Chicago.

The real issue is whether there is sufficient ridership to justify once every half hour or any service.

It doesn't appear that the monthly ridership report sorts out the N routes; in fact, N5, which is only night, is listed as 5. Maybe the door counters and gps give them some information.

N5's ridership is reported together with the 95E according to the reports on rtams.org. As far as the others I can't tell. However I CAN tell you from regularly riding that N4, N5, N9, and of course the 79 has a pretty substantial ridership along the DEEP late hours. In fact the N9 ends up still running a little more frequently (20 min) with the stray 9's that run through the late night.

Unless the new 24th Pl/Cicero runs alternate with 36th/Kedzie runs, I don't see how. And even then it's a stretch because Kedzie is FULL as it is. Even though it began sharing some of its routes like other garages, it's still doing the bulk of the work on those routes especially if we're speaking of the weekday midday or evening times. And the big reason Kedzie is sharing routes is because it gave up none of the routes it covered before the 2010 cuts and Archer's closing. It also regained from Archer the 21 and 60 in full coverage plus became the main garage for the 62. It now has weekday AM rush runs of the 77 EB from Kimball which are interlined with its AM SB 151 Belmont trips and a run of two of PM rush 1 Indiana/Hyde Park runs.

Personally I don't see this experiment lasting long, especially with the #60 1/2 mile to the north and 53/53A on 31st between Pulaski and Komensky.

I don't see a complete elimination of the 151 owl service, but perhaps scaled back to Belmont. The 151 is a safer alternative for N Michigan Ave and N Lake Shore and lakefront Lincoln Park riders as opposed to the Red Line, but north of that the Red Line is sufficient. Note that the 22 also parallels the Red Line.

I believe the 72 should have owl service. Basically there is no owl service between Chicago Ave and Belmont, a 3 mile stretch well within the city. Owl service on North Ave cuts this down to 2 miles. The question is how far down North will the owl service go? I actually would like to see the entire route have owl service, but I imagine that Narragansett might be the terminus for that.

Due to higher crime rate going on between Rogers Park and Uptown Neighborhoods, it would be best if N151 and N201 to be remaining the way it is for the Red Line riders who doesn't feel safe riding on Red Line owl since 2600s probably won't getting any cameras in their lifetime since they're on their way out soon little by little. I agree that 72 needs an Owl service back at least from Central to Clark, then Cut N9 off North Ave Between Halsted and Clark, N9 can terminate at North/Clybourn Red Line. Plus Couple south side Express Routes: 6 needs to reinstate 1 hour later leaving Wacker at 1:30am instead of 12:30a and reinstate 14 to 11:35pm or extend to around 12am, especially for the Red Line Dan Ryan shut down.

Back on topic:

The new #35 timetable effective September 2 has the new extension to Cicero/24th. The first daily trip at Cicero/24th will be a 5:00 am eastbound trip leaving towards 35th/Cottage Grove, and the last eastbound trip leaves Cicero/24th at 8:00 pm. Westbound service to Cicero/24th wll have a slightly shorter span, running from 5:25 am to 7:45 pm.

In addition, all daytime and early evening trips will operate the entire length, which means that only very early morning and mid-to-late evening trips will continue to only operate east of Kedzie.

Because of this, we'll have to wait until Sunday September 2 to determine which garage's equipment is to be used on the extended #35. It could be 77th, Kedzie or Chicago Garage.

Back on topic:

The new #35 timetable effective September 2 has the new extension to Cicero/24th. The first daily trip at Cicero/24th will be a 5:00 am eastbound trip leaving towards 35th/Cottage Grove, and the last eastbound trip leaves Cicero/24th at 8:00 pm. Westbound service to Cicero/24th wll have a slightly shorter span, running from 5:25 am to 7:45 pm.

In addition, all daytime and early evening trips will operate the entire length, which means that only very early morning and mid-to-late evening trips will continue to only operate east of Kedzie.

Because of this, we'll have to wait until Sunday September 2 to determine which garage's equipment is to be used on the extended #35. It could be 77th, Kedzie or Chicago Garage.

I'd be surprised if it were Kedzie given the full load Kedzie has as far as route assignments.

I'd be surprised if it were Kedzie given the full load Kedzie has as far as route assignments.

This move is only feasible if Kedzie gives up some of its routes to other garages. And right now it is too far of a deadhead trip from 77th Garage to Cicero/24th to start its first eastbound trip. Thus, those Cicero to Cottage Grove runs might be operated from Chicago Garage - but only if it gives up #76 to FG or #94 entirely to 74th.

Why must a one or two bus extention to an existing route automatically mean it's going to another garage?

You see, the first bus that will leave Cicero/24th at 5:00 am is an eastbound trip. The first westbound bus does not arrive at Cicero/24th until around 5:25 am. This means some very long-distance deadheading if 77th Garage is to operate those trips unless one of the westbound runs that end at 36th/Kedzie runs deadheaded to Cicero/24th.

Why must a one or two bus extention to an existing route automatically mean it's going to another garage?

No one said it was automatic, just possible. We will find out for sure next week. My guess is that next week that it is still a 77th route. Whether it stays a 77th route will be seen when the "Decrowding" runs take effect in December. I do believe it is a long deadhead from 77th garage to 24th/Cicero, and thus it is possible that the route could be shifted to K or some runs could be interlined with the 50 from C. And yet it is still possible that 77th continues to operate this route. Like I said, we will see starting next week.

No one said it was automatic, just possible. We will find out for sure next week. My guess is that next week that it is still a 77th route. Whether it stays a 77th route will be seen when the "Decrowding" runs take effect in December. I do believe it is a long deadhead from 77th garage to 24th/Cicero, and thus it is possible that the route could be shifted to K or some runs could be interlined with the 50 from C. And yet it is still possible that 77th continues to operate this route. Like I said, we will see starting next week.

The 50 is a NP route. Could you possibly be thinking the 54 instead?

Yes I meant 54. Thanks

I guess there is a system wide schedule change effective Sunda, September 2nd. Is this extension daily or weekdays only?

There was a link on the schedules page, which actually went to something only recently (today as best I can tell).

The 35 one only indicates that service to or from 24th Pl. and Cicero starts at 5:00 am. and ends about 8 p.m. It does not reflect any short trips during the daytime between those two times,* but every 12 or 20 minutes to 24th Pl. Same service span Sat. and Sun./Holiday.

________

*Update: Maybe the "supplementary service" box that seems standard on the schedules would cover to the contrary.

I guess there is a system wide schedule change effective Sunda, September 2nd. Is this extension daily or weekdays only?

As the new timetable noted, the extension will operate daily. It will be on a 180-day experiment, and the extension's performance will be evaluated around March.

Today, the CTA BusTracker is not functioning fully, but right now all #35 runs are still 77th Garage runs. What 77th is doing is to run one of the earliest westbound runs deadheaded from 36th/Kedzie to Cicero/24th to start its eastbound trip from the extension.

The signage on CTA bus relect the route change, the bus stops and the Mr CTA announcements onboard the buses do not.